• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Oculus Rift devs hoping for "Matrix-level" virtual reality

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
The founder of the Oculus Rift project says hopefully in a few 'decades' it could advance to the level of what we've seen in 'The Matrix'.
He's also been in discussion with Microsoft and Sony about bringing the technology to consoles.

Gamespot said:
Founder Palmer Luckey says VR tech today is "very crude," but could advance to all-new heights in the years ahead.

You can read the full article here:
GameSpot

Last edited by a moderator:

wowtgp

Haha...not thanks. I would love to be able to differentiate what's real and what's just a game. Playing a game which feels too real migh as well be lethal when you play games like Amnesia or Slender.

Clark Wayne

That definitely sounds pretty amazing but to be honest, it's like we will see anything like this anytime soon, at least not for a few years or so. Still, just the thought of a matrix like reality with games in itself is pretty incredible. I'll definitely want to try something like this out if it ever happens.

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
Not sure if Im interested in "Matrix Style reality' either at this point but like most I am interested to see how it develops and if next gen consoles can be successfully incorporated into it.

BlackSolaris

Professional Escapologist
Do i have to swallow a pill before using it? Because i never was that good with swallowing pills.
I still think that "matrix-level" virtual reality will only be possible when you just have to think for things to happen instead of using a manual controller.

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
Yeah.
Cause since video/PC gaming started its still basically the same in that we are still using a controller in our hands and sitting in front of a TV or monitor,that hasnt changed.

lindbergh

Maybe a matrix style world would be possible with the Kinect. Yeah, sorry guys but on the PS 4, we need a controller right? A matrix style world would be cool though. I imagine that it would compose of a community of gamers interacting with each other. And maybe there will be an occasional big event or something that would attack the place wherein gamers should defend the virtual would. It would be cool.

Reptar_On_Ice

The Oculus Rift is a really awesome piece of technology, but I don't really want it to get to reality-like levels. You should strive to improve gaming and make it more intuitive, not look to make it some kind of weird reality substitute.

corporatenoun

Haha...not thanks. I would love to be able to differentiate what's real and what's just a game. Playing a game which feels too real migh as well be lethal when you play games like Amnesia or Slender.

That's kind of a frightening proposition. I would hope that "Matrix level virtual reality" doesn't actually end up existing, because you would end up with many people who would rather live in that world than the real one. I think it would become too addicting...

Stigmatic Gamer

Seventh Column
That's kind of a frightening proposition. I would hope that "Matrix level virtual reality" doesn't actually end up existing, because you would end up with many people who would rather live in that world than the real one. I think it would become too addicting...

Very true. If you think some people are bad now, wait until it's realistic.

Jaymun

I'm really excited about the occulus rift, and I hope they do manage to do great things with it.

That being said, I have a few of the same concerns people in here do. Having it too realistic is a slippery slope, think of the levels of addiction some people had over WoW (families destroyed, not eating/drinking, losing jobs, etc.) and think about how much worse it would be if it felt like reality while you were playing. Definitely a dangerous path to go down

Reptar_On_Ice

I agree wholeheartedly. The idea of true 'virtual reality' being widely available scares the living shit out of me.

AvalonX

Let's start with a realistic FPS, I would love to experience Killzone like this. Imagine this combined with Move or something like that. I would probably get bored of it but it would be awesome at first.

Reptar_On_Ice

Let's start with a realistic FPS, I would love to experience Killzone like this. Imagine this combined with Move or something like that. I would probably get bored of it but it would be awesome at first.

Yes. Experience the horrors of war as if they are real! With realistic dismemberment and injuries! Watch as a man cries for his mother before he dies!

I think I'll take my shooters in the, uh, unrealistic and arcadey flavor.

I'm super excited about this possibility. Clearly the technology is nowhere near this level yet right.

Maybe in another 20-30 years. It should happen in our lifetime. I think not only games will become like this, but I can see "cinematic" games happening, imagine being in a movie. Virtual tourism will also happen, why pay $1000s of dollars to see cities, locations etc if you could visit them in VR. Of course its not the same, but in a weak economy etc, I'm sure it will happen especially with some of the more "hard to get to" places.

amazingone

I just talked with someone who used the Oculus Rift. He wasn't that impressed. He said the VR helmet was a little too large and cumbersome. He wanted to use a controller or some sort of motion sensor technology like kinect instead of the mouse and keyboard. Is the Sony VR technology any better than Oculus Rift?

Stigmatic Gamer

Seventh Column
Yes. Experience the horrors of war as if they are real! With realistic dismemberment and injuries! Watch as a man cries for his mother before he dies!

I think I'll take my shooters in the, uh, unrealistic and arcadey flavor.

And any excitement for VR FPS games vanished in an instant

Reptar_On_Ice

I just talked with someone who used the Oculus Rift. He wasn't that impressed. He said the VR helmet was a little too large and cumbersome. He wanted to use a controller or some sort of motion sensor technology like kinect instead of the mouse and keyboard. Is the Sony VR technology any better than Oculus Rift?

We don't know yet. The Oculus Rift has a companion piece called, uh, something I can't remember, that's like a powerglove thingy that tracks your hand movements as well, although it also seems like imperfect technology.

Kidzukai

"Matrix-style" might be far off, but I'm definitely looking forward to jumping into an MMO with the Oculus Rift strapped onto my head. Even if there isn't a full immersion of our senses, with some kind of body suit that provides haptic feedback and proper headphones, I think the experience of RPG and FPS kinds of games would be a thrill. Sure, you won't be able to taste some of the foods in your cooking profession, sure you won't be able to feel the sea breeze in-game. But for the other senses we could immerse ourselves with, the experience would still feel pretty in-depth.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements