• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Oculus Rift devs hoping for "Matrix-level" virtual reality

corporatenoun

"Matrix-style" might be far off, but I'm definitely looking forward to jumping into an MMO with the Oculus Rift strapped onto my head. Even if there isn't a full immersion of our senses, with some kind of body suit that provides haptic feedback and proper headphones, I think the experience of RPG and FPS kinds of games would be a thrill. Sure, you won't be able to taste some of the foods in your cooking profession, sure you won't be able to feel the sea breeze in-game. But for the other senses we could immerse ourselves with, the experience would still feel pretty in-depth.

True enough. I guess full immersion of all 5 main senses is much too impossible to implement in our current age. In fact, it would probably be much longer than just a decade before we see total sensual simulation.

Kidzukai

True enough. I guess full immersion of all 5 main senses is much too impossible to implement in our current age. In fact, it would probably be much longer than just a decade before we see total sensual simulation.

The technology is definitely out there for the majority of senses and immersion we're looking for. Aside from the Oculus Rift, there is a company out there that basically created a complicated treadmill that allows you to walk in 360 degrees while tracking your movement, it knows when you want to walk backwards, strafe, walk forward, etc, and will move accordingly. There's another company that creates a rig that will either shoot tennis balls or compressed air at you, and they have teamed up with that first company to test out first person shooter games.

But all in all, I'm sure full body haptic feedback suits are out there and vary in complexity. The sex industry is really trying to innovate that one at least. All we're really lacking is taste and smell. I'm not sure about how we could simulate tasting and eating, but I know that scientists can recreate the smells of literally everything out there through chemicals. Perhaps there exists a technology with a basic set of chemicals and can be mixed via ink jet to create everything from the scent of Tiramisu to a skunk.

All in all, we're getting near. Its possible even that these innovations will happen in less than a decade. But I'm definitely looking for the "Matrix-style" immersion. That would be the ultimate experience.

Reptar_On_Ice

Am I seriously the only one who doesn't want that much immersion? Like, I enjoy games how they are now. I sit down and I pick up a controller and I play, and my immersion is based on the quality of the game. It makes every immersive experience that much more special. What'll be the point to atmosphere and graphical quality if every single game looks and sounds and feels exactly like real life?

Kidzukai

I think it depends on what kind of gamer you are. If you're super into sports games, or platformers, or something else, yeah, a full immersion experience might not be amazing. Or even if you love MMOs as much as I do, being fully immersed might feel pointless if you're just emulating real life. But the point is you use these immersive technologies for games that offer a unique reality to experience. Let's say you can put yourself in the world of Skyrim and more or less experience what it would be like to fight a huge ass dragon. Even playing Call of Duty might be a lot more interesting. Getting flanked might not mean certain death if you can feel on a haptic body suit where the shots are coming from, instead of just seeing your screen get bloody while looking at the map for where the shots are coming from.

The possibilities endless. It doesn't have to be a continuation of real life.

crazyduck

I enjoy playing games the way I do now but I think VR will be cool. Then you can control your character better on the game. Also it will make the experience so more enriching.

amazingone

We don't know yet. The Oculus Rift has a companion piece called, uh, something I can't remember, that's like a powerglove thingy that tracks your hand movements as well, although it also seems like imperfect technology.

I want the powerglove thingy! I don't think I can bring myself to buy oculus rift unless there is a motion sensor to control the game with. I am done using a keyboard and mouse to play games. It's just not how games were meant to be played.

Reptar_On_Ice

I enjoy playing games the way I do now but I think VR will be cool. Then you can control your character better on the game. Also it will make the experience so more enriching.

Virtual Reality does not equate to good controls.

See: The Oculus Rift.

By the time Virtual Reality is fleshed out enough to be really good as far as controlling your character goes, controllers will have already been there for quite some time.

Kidzukai

There was a recent Youtube I saw where this guy was playing some kind of flight simulator. The Oculus Rift made a world of difference in how this guy experienced the game--specifically in terms spatial awareness. This guy was able to pilot his plane and maneuver around right near the water, fully aware of how near his wings were to the water. He commented on how easy it was to fly through narrow spaces (like through plane hangars) and how much better the consumer product will be with the higher resolution screen.

I mean sure, the games won't be perfect, the controllers may feel finicky with that kind of device strapped to your head. But I'm sure people out there are brainstorming a controller that would compliment the technology and experience of VR.

pxyc

Kidzukai, the way you wrote that makes me really excited for the Rift. I hope to be able to try it some day, but I'm sure it'll be way out of my price range at first. Also, noticed you're from Philly, so am I! It's called a hoagie, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

stoudman

It could be possible. If we get a film maker who shoots things meticulously enough, the Oculus Rift could actually be used for movies as well. Imagine a movie like 'The Matrix' on the Oculus Rift? That would be freakin' awesome! I had an idea for a VR game once -- a game where you simulate the life of a bird. You could choose between a variety of different birds and fly across huge maps, just doing whatever and living the life of a bird. Okay, so it's not a "hardcore game," but it seems like it would be fun. :)

Jellyfish

The technology isn't advanced enough yet but for our current standards it surely is just an amazing little thiing to experience. But think 20 years back. What was common back then? Then think 20 years ahead. What will be common then?

There is so much more to come.

amazingone

Well, the technology is there but it is there for the government only. I should say for the government and their bed buddies: the defense industry. Those companies have amazingly detailed flight simulators which are really just virtual reality machines of a sort.

MedeaWakoski

Haha...not thanks. I would love to be able to differentiate what's real and what's just a game. Playing a game which feels too real migh as well be lethal when you play games like Amnesia or Slender.

Haha! So true! To be honest I almost died playing Amnesia and I was just using your average monitor...

Personally I'm looking forward to the Oculus Rift, it's definitely not something I'd play horror games on, except for Half Life 2, and I know I'd probably have a heart attack in Ravenholm! It would be worth it I think! :eek:

I wonder how immersive they can make OR. Like, maybe they can provide a skin-tight suit so we can "feel" everything in the game, like the breeze, feel the crunch of the dried leaves beneath our feet, and use our hands for using guns instead of the controller. How far will they take it?

I've also heard that the PC is OR's focus, but I hope they will cater to the PS4 as well! Can't wait!

amazingone

Haha! So true! To be honest I almost died playing Amnesia and I was just using your average monitor...

Personally I'm looking forward to the Oculus Rift, it's definitely not something I'd play horror games on, except for Half Life 2, and I know I'd probably have a heart attack in Ravenholm! It would be worth it I think! :eek:

I wonder how immersive they can make OR. Like, maybe they can provide a skin-tight suit so we can "feel" everything in the game, like the breeze, feel the crunch of the dried leaves beneath our feet, and use our hands for using guns instead of the controller. How far will they take it?

I've also heard that the PC is OR's focus, but I hope they will cater to the PS4 as well! Can't wait!
The skin tight suit would make it way too realistic. People might actually have physical responses to the sensors that are harmful. I think it would open up the possibility for lawsuits. It won't happen unless it only lets you sense the environment and not any potential pain. Your point about heart attacks is intriguing. What if the game got so real in a VR setup that the person had a heart attack mid-game?

MedeaWakoski

^You're right. I actually watched a video recently, of a woman who just had the oculus rift, and it was simulating a roller coaster ride. She looked like she was about to die! Haha! I mean, imagine if she had a suit and she could "feel" like she was there, not only see... But, yeah, the suit could probably limit how much "pain" you feel. Like, a bullet wound could just feel like a tingling sensation where you are shot. If has that safeguard, a "pain" limit, I think things like lawsuits wouldn't be a problem. I think the bigger problem would be people pissing themselves in fear while playing Amnesia, and having to buy a new suit everytime!!! It would have to be waterproof and easy to clean. Either way, I'm looking forward to Oculus and its development! :D

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements