• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

WWE Games

DrRipley

I recently got to play some WWE games on a Sega Genesis (still WWF at this point, I think) and it reminded me that I used to play WWE titles on the PS1 & 2. I don't remember much else past that, to be honest, because I usually only played it for the charm of getting to use my favorite WWE characters and see them in action in video game form. The one thing that really stands out in my memory is getting to use a "smackdown" move when the power bar gets full or something like that, so if I had to guess I probably liked the Smackdown version. I wonder if it's just nostalgia talking, though, and I hope to get to play it again on an old console soon to find out. Are there any WWE titles that stand out in your memory? Ones that you really enjoyed playing? Are the recent versions any good?

lindbergh

Haha, I also played WWF games on the PS 1. I don't remember the title of my favorite wrestling game exactly because there were a lot of games that came out. I know it's not Warzone though. I think it was called WWF Smackdown. Or was it already the WWE? It even allowed wrestlers to fight in places outside the ring. I had a blast since I was just a teen back then. When I moved to the PS 2 and eventually to the PS 3, I no longer played wrestling video games. My interest in the WWE waned.

Haze

I used to be obsessed with wrestling back in the late 90's. WCW to be exact and a game I played until I broke it was WCW vs NWO Revenge on the Nintendo 64. It aged horribly though. I did however play WWF Attitude on the PS1 at a friends house quite a few times and enjoyed it. But oddly I loved WCW more then WWF even though WWF had better characters. I also haven't touched a wrestling game since as I outgrew wrestling. But I imagine it would be loads of fun playing with a friend.

lindbergh

The only problem that I found with wrestling games was the controls. I had a lot of trouble executing some moves. Making a tag during a tag team match was even a chore. Still, seeing my favorite characters and controlling them inside the ring was pure enjoyment for me. Yeah, Revenge for the N64 was great. The only problem was that it seemed like all of the characters controlled the same.

DrRipley

I used to be obsessed with wrestling back in the late 90's. WCW to be exact and a game I played until I broke it was WCW vs NWO Revenge on the Nintendo 64. It aged horribly though. I did however play WWF Attitude on the PS1 at a friends house quite a few times and enjoyed it. But oddly I loved WCW more then WWF even though WWF had better characters. I also haven't touched a wrestling game since as I outgrew wrestling. But I imagine it would be loads of fun playing with a friend.

I just checked out WCW vs NWO Revenge on Youtube and that was something else. It's great hearing about these games now because I grew up with different consoles and it just never occurred to me that there were tons of other games on tons of other consoles. :D

The only problem that I found with wrestling games was the controls. I had a lot of trouble executing some moves. Making a tag during a tag team match was even a chore. Still, seeing my favorite characters and controlling them inside the ring was pure enjoyment for me. Yeah, Revenge for the N64 was great. The only problem was that it seemed like all of the characters controlled the same.

I remember those controls too, they are indeed dreadful. However, I still vaguely remember somehow being able to play them and enjoy them, and it amazes me now how we all managed. Also, if you thought the PS1 version's controls were bad, imagine playing the Genesis version I played. :D

lindbergh

For the ps1 games, there was always a move list of the game was paused. In order to perform a lot of moves, I would constantly press pause and look at the moves that I could execute. It was like my cheat sheet. Now I had to balance high school studies with gaming so I didn't have the time to memorize all the moves of the wrestlers. It was too much for my small head.

Joker99352

Royal Rumble on the Genesis was my favorite game for the system. I loved luring the AI out of the ring and then slamming them into the bell on the side of the mat. That sound was so satisfying, as was the sound of the chair smashing on their heads. Pretty violent for back then, but I'd say I'm pretty well-adjusted.

lindbergh

I found this video on YouTube. It makes me reminisce on the WWF Smackdown matches that I have played when I was back in high school. I would always like to play as The Rock. Though his moves were not that flashy, I liked him a lot. His attitude and personality were definitely his strong points.

DrRipley

Royal Rumble on the Genesis was my favorite game for the system. I loved luring the AI out of the ring and then slamming them into the bell on the side of the mat. That sound was so satisfying, as was the sound of the chair smashing on their heads. Pretty violent for back then, but I'd say I'm pretty well-adjusted.

It does look fun, unfortunately I have yet to figure it out. I plan on returning to my friend's house to play it again but for longer this time and with a moves list handy. :D I loved the simplicity of it, though, and I might even prefer it to at least some of the other 3D versions out there especially the earlier ones.

I found this video on YouTube. It makes me reminisce on the WWF Smackdown matches that I have played when I was back in high school. I would always like to play as The Rock. Though his moves were not that flashy, I liked him a lot. His attitude and personality were definitely his strong points.

I think I've played this as well, though this wouldn't be the particular version we spent most time on. I agree that the Rock was a very interesting character in these games, and it's memories like these that make me want to try out the newer versions just to see how they portrayed the classics and how much the controls have evolved.

Joker99352

Actually, it was WWF Raw that I was thinking of. From what I saw in the videos of Royal Rumble, the two games are fairly similar, but I don't think I've played RR. I wish they would release Raw on steam since I already have a bundle of Genesis games on there. The last time I played the game was probably five years ago or so, but it was still really fun considering how old it was.

Looper

I have played WWF on PSone, I don't remember much as well except for Mr. Ass' music, it was just hilarious. However, on PS2 I got addicted to the WWE games, I always create a character and play the story mode. The stories are usually the same but it's still pretty entertaining. I got really really good at the game, but somehow I still couldn't beat Big Show when I'm using Rey Mysterio. Rey Msterio's movesets does not affect Size 4 or something - opponents, so it was a challenge. But it seems no matter how good you are, it's just impossible to pin a huge opponent with the shortest character. That was one of my objectives that I never accomplished. Anyway, another thing I enjoyed in WWE is the Royal Rumble, where every few seconds a new wrestler will join in the ring. I don't always win but it's still fun to at least be one of the last 4 on the ring.

DrRipley

I have played WWF on PSone, I don't remember much as well except for Mr. Ass' music, it was just hilarious. However, on PS2 I got addicted to the WWE games, I always create a character and play the story mode. The stories are usually the same but it's still pretty entertaining. I got really really good at the game, but somehow I still couldn't beat Big Show when I'm using Rey Mysterio. Rey Msterio's movesets does not affect Size 4 or something - opponents, so it was a challenge. But it seems no matter how good you are, it's just impossible to pin a huge opponent with the shortest character. That was one of my objectives that I never accomplished. Anyway, another thing I enjoyed in WWE is the Royal Rumble, where every few seconds a new wrestler will join in the ring. I don't always win but it's still fun to at least be one of the last 4 on the ring.

I think by the time they were making games for the PS2 they have gotten significantly better as far as making the controls and mechanics to work for 3D gaming. I vaguely remember playing that as well, but since they all practically play the same, I'm not entirely sure anymore which particular version I did get to try out. The thing I remember the most with the later ones was that using the chairs and the environment at ringside have gotten to be really fun to exploit and after we figured that out we almost never played it without those "cheat" tools anymore, especially the sledgehammer.

Looper

I think by the time they were making games for the PS2 they have gotten significantly better as far as making the controls and mechanics to work for 3D gaming. I vaguely remember playing that as well, but since they all practically play the same, I'm not entirely sure anymore which particular version I did get to try out. The thing I remember the most with the later ones was that using the chairs and the environment at ringside have gotten to be really fun to exploit and after we figured that out we almost never played it without those "cheat" tools anymore, especially the sledgehammer.

Aha, indeed there were many versions that I don't remember which one is which. I remember in the PS2 versions though, aside from TLC (table ladder chairs) you can even fight outside the arena. You can enter different areas, one area even have a forklift that you can ride. And outside that you can even get hit by a moving car. The only thing that would've made it really amazing is a rumble outside. Because most you can have outside is 4 wrestlers.

lindbergh

Aha, indeed there were many versions that I don't remember which one is which. I remember in the PS2 versions though, aside from TLC (table ladder chairs) you can even fight outside the arena. You can enter different areas, one area even have a forklift that you can ride. And outside that you can even get hit by a moving car. The only thing that would've made it really amazing is a rumble outside. Because most you can have outside is 4 wrestlers.
I think that there was a certain WWF game that allowed players to fight outside the arena and enter different sections of the building like the boiler room and the parking lot. I think it was WWF Smackdown. I have never played a wrestling game on the PS2 and beyond though so I can't compare the 2. But I do know that the PS2 versions are much better.

Joker99352

I think that there was a certain WWF game that allowed players to fight outside the arena and enter different sections of the building like the boiler room and the parking lot. I think it was WWF Smackdown. I have never played a wrestling game on the PS2 and beyond though so I can't compare the 2. But I do know that the PS2 versions are much better.

I remember that, actually. I don't remember which game it was, but I think my friend and I rented and played it on the PS1. It was kind of ridiculous because we'd both just be wandering around trying to find doors to go through rather than actually wrestling. I think we ended up in a parking garage at one point.

DrRipley

I remember this! We loved that feature and played it a lot. I always got my a** handed to me because I didn't know much about the controls, but it was still fun because it was so over the top and brutal. I can only vaguely remember it, but if I remember correctly it's probably similar to Def Jam, so if you liked that you'd probably love this game too since it's a much more refined version of it.

Joker99352

It was pretty similar to Def Jam if I remember correctly. When I would rent games (and I did pretty often), my friends and I would pretty much just mess around instead of trying to play the right way. Maybe it wasn't correct, but it was certainly fun to do.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements