• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Wifi v Wireless and Modem.

MrDecker

Greetings all.

I'm doing some research on improving my online gaming experience, here in Australia.

This includes.

Faster Nbn plan (greater than 100 Mps)
New Modem (specific gaming modem)

There are of course lots of modems on the market wifi6, wired modems ... so this lead me to my first Question... whether I should be looking for the best modem for Wired or Wireless connection to my Ps5?

Apparently the Ps5 is wifi 6 and can reach speeds of 9.6Gbit/s. The Ethernet port apparently up to 1 Gigabit per second.

So which is better ? Wifi or Ethernet???

Importantly in my home, its only me and more often than not its only the PS5 that's utilizing my internet. (Yes the mobile and TV are wifi connected, though when I gaming they are for the most part passive connections).

The second Question ... any advice/recommendations on gaming modems/router to plug into my NBN box???

Many thanks :)

mysticstarxxx

Hey Man! How are you doing? This is my opinion. I've been working with computers since 1984. I am a firm believer in ethernet. I also wired my whole house for computers, TV's and gaming platforms. WiFi is unsecure and easy to hack. You be the judge. :)

As for manufacturers, the one company that I have never had problems with, they have excellent support and they are dependable. That is Linksys.

MrDecker

Hey Man! How are you doing? This is my opinion. I've been working with computers since 1984. I am a firm believer in ethernet. I also wired my whole house for computers, TV's and gaming platforms. WiFi is unsecure and easy to hack. You be the judge. :)

As for manufacturers, the one company that I have never had problems with, they have excellent support and they are dependable. That is Linksys.

Hey
Thanks for all that. Yes you're right and a little more research I found this little wifi/ethernet PS5 test

As for the modem I looked at quite a few including Linksys ... its increasing that a lot of online/youtube reviews focus on the "wifi" aspect of routers in tests ... whereas I you indicated, serious gamers go Ethernet.

In the end Im getting a Asus U86XT ... for a coupe of reasons,
A) it has a dedicated Game LAN/Ethernet port ... which I will plug in a new Cat 7 cable. (hopefully the review on the net will be right on this LAN port; and
B) whilst the not best wifi (its not a Tri-band wifi, but for me I'm to only one here and there's usually only one device wifi'ing at the one time).

In the end Im in Australia and a long way away from servers !! lol ... hopefully my upgrade will improve my latency. Demon souls when I connect to the West CA server, my ping is 80'ish ... lets see if I can get that down a tad. :O)

mysticstarxxx

Hey man, how's it goin? It sounds to me you are pretty sold on that model. That's great! As I said before, ethernet is faster and you are doing that. But be aware, your ethernet connection is only as good as what's coming into your dwelling. In other words, you can have CAT7 cable, but your ethernet could have CAT6 and still be as fast as CAT7, today. In the future that will change. I have fiber. It's quick, but I've seen faster. I guess what I'm sayin' is don't get caught up with flashy styles and promises of outrageous BPS. Look at what you have coming in. If there is a better choice, compare. But get equipment that does the job for what you have. As I said, I have fiber (light pipe, fiber optics) and equipment to handle that. Fiber in general can be as fast as 950 Mbps, and it is bi-directional.
I hope you can clear up your latency, but take joy in the fact that it isn't your problem. It's whoever provides service to your house and what's available. Stay tough my brother!