• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Why did some people hate Resident Evil 4?

lindbergh

I loved RE4. It's my favorite Resident Evil game of all time. I was really impressed with its graphics before and it controlled like a breeze. It was a deviation from the tank like controls of the games that came before it.

There was a nice mix of horror and action too. Which is why I'm always wondering, why do some gamers hate RE4?

Haymansafc

I don't recall having any major problem with Resident Evil 4. I thought it was a decent game as I was a huge fan of the previous three titles. I class Resident Evil 4 to be the last of the 'proper' resident Evil games although I'm ashamed to say I'm struggling to recall the plot line now… I haven't played it in years.

I think some of the negativity come from the fact that it was the first game set entirely outside of Racoon City if I'm not mistaken – it's home' as such. I must admit, I did feel a little "meh" about that point but I do like games that go forward in time rather than the current trend of prequels and "set before x but after y" nonsense. In this respect, it did feel a little different and I can understand concerns in that respect as I was one of them too!

For me, it was when it come to the fifth game that it started to go pear shaped and went the same way as Silent Hill did by loosing some of it's 'roots' as such. It become more of a FPS than an actual survival horror and Resident Evil 7 really is an entirely different game which barring a few old characters bears close to no resemblance to the series I once loved. Too many dramatic cut scenes, far too linear, too much shooting over basic survival/avoidance, not enough puzzles that make you think and way too much emphasis on fancy graphics over actual quality of gameplay… Just like many other modern games in that respect…

SpaceTiger

I think it was the different setting...which is like you can't just stay in the same general setting forever and ever. Like Haymansafc, I know must generally consider RE4 as the last actual Resident Evil game with the survival horror approach.

cenarion

It was a really big departure from the previous games and some people did not like it at all. Resident Evil 4 is an incredible game, one of the greats in my opinion, but it also was significantly more action-focused than the previous ones, which was disappointing to some fans. RE5 and RE6 took that approach even further and now are full fledged action games losing most of their survival horror characteristics in the way.

firelily99

People don't like change and anything that takes them out of their comfort zone is usually not welcome. It was hugely different from other games and they didn't want to take the risk and learn it.

Razor

I believe it's like firelily said, but some titles you really shouldn't mess with the formula. It can go in too directions: updating and improving it (which is positive) and just mucking with it. RE4 was the start of mucking with it before going full on into no return land. That said, like SpaceTiger said it's usually placed as the last authentic RE experience in the series.

Ofnir

People hate Resident Evil 4 because its not very scary, even though there are some fairly creepy areas and monsters. It also led to the trend of current RE games we have now that are third person shooters with monsters instead of being proper survival horror. Resident Evil 4 is one of my all time favorite games, with that said. The sequels following it? Not so much. I loved the "scary" Resident Evil games but I think its impossible to return to the old style of survival horror they used, most people will really complain if you limit their ammo now and send them on scavenger hunters for keys to keys.

RE4 doesn't deserve the hate it gets, I think RE5 isn't hated enough, despite being a decent game, because it commits the "sins" of RE4 to a much higher degree AND it returns to the bs "serious story" and RE lore. It also has LOTS of missed opportunities, when I first heard we were getting an RE game in Africa I was excited..but no, the freakin' RE Outbreak games have more exotic ex-animals. No lions, no elephants, no hippos, no nothing. Did they think gunning down undead hippos would be too much for the animal rights enthusiasts/PETA crowd?

deathbyprayer

I thought RE4 was great, I mean sure it doesn't have that zombie-ish kind of vibe compared to the previous RE games but I think that game is solid enough. Its one of my favorite games on the PS2.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
I picked this up a couple weeks ago at a thrift store (PS4 version) for 5 bucks. Figured why not. I'll preface this by saying this is the first RE game I owned so I won't talk about the story. I know the gist of it and it's something I could get into. I'm only gonna comment on the controls and my experience that put me off. I found it punishing. I spent over an hour trying to get past the first town but I couldn't because I found the aiming system to be extremely difficult for me. It took me forever to aim and by the time I got a shot off I was decapitated. I shelved it seeing as I was only 20 minutes into the game and I was already stuck and couldn't get past it. If it was that punishing in the first 20 minutes, I'd be too frustrated trying to get through the rest to actually enjoy it. I'll probably buy original copies on PS1 and PS2 to add to my collection because of their place in gaming history, but in terms of playing them, I'm honestly put off from the series right now.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
I picked this up a couple weeks ago at a thrift store (PS4 version) for 5 bucks. Figured why not. I'll preface this by saying this is the first RE game I owned so I won't talk about the story. I know the gist of it and it's something I could get into. I'm only gonna comment on the controls and my experience that put me off. I found it punishing. I spent over an hour trying to get past the first town but I couldn't because I found the aiming system to be extremely difficult for me. It took me forever to aim and by the time I got a shot off I was decapitated. I shelved it seeing as I was only 20 minutes into the game and I was already stuck and couldn't get past it. If it was that punishing in the first 20 minutes, I'd be too frustrated trying to get through the rest to actually enjoy it. I'll probably buy original copies on PS1 and PS2 to add to my collection because of their place in gaming history, but in terms of playing them, I'm honestly put off from the series right now.
Get back on it. Get used to the controls, because once you do, you will realize how ADDICTING the game is. Especially once you've gotten a hang with it. RE4 originally released for GameCube, with a PS2 port that is inferior. The PS4 version is based off of the GameCube/PC version(s). The PS4 version is as definitive as it gets.

You don't even need to "update yourself" with RE4, by playing the first 3 games. It's practically a separate game. RE8 Village is basically like a sequel to RE4, from what I've seen of it. Whenever you're finished with RE4, go get RE2 Remake. :)

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
Get back on it. Get used to the controls, because once you do, you will realize how ADDICTING the game is. Especially once you've gotten a hang with it. RE4 originally released for GameCube, with a PS2 port that is inferior. The PS4 version is based off of the GameCube/PC version(s). The PS4 version is as definitive as it gets.

You don't even need to "update yourself" with RE4, by playing the first 3 games. It's practically a separate game. RE8 Village is basically like a sequel to RE4, from what I've seen of it. Whenever you're finished with RE4, go get RE2 Remake. :)

You're right. I should get back into it. And I will keep it in my collection and give it a fair shake in time. I guess psychologically right now I've got so many games I've collected that I've yet to play, as soon as one bogs me down, I move on. It happened a few weeks ago when I tried playing Shadow the Hedgehog on Xbox (didn't get good reviews and I see why playing it lol). Controls were too wonky that I found it too difficult to play (like seriously. When I push right on a stick, the camera should go right, not left! Confusing as all hell). Right now I'm simultaneously playing Battlestar Galactica and Unreal Championship on the original Xbox while also playing Red Dead Redemption and GT6 on PS3. Oh, and I need to get back into Shadows of the Empire on N64 now that I finally have controllers for it :) Can't really complain about my gaming habits during my unemployment lol.