• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Why did I bother?????????????????????

alhaurincraig

I bought fifa 14 yesterday afternoon. Why? I really don't know because know matter how many times the system reboots & says "system software update" it still has another file to download!!!

30 hours now since I bought this game, Sony the PS4 SUCKS!!!!!

Why can't the latest software be on the disc itself?????? Load of crap, I'm sure mine won't be the first PS4 on a buy/sell page!

Dmadman72

I Shall Finish The Game
is this the only thing your system is doing or is it downloading multiple things. the system updates can be downloaded by leaving your system in standby instead of completely shutting it down.

KMJ_84

I was just going to suggest the same thing. Set everything to download and then put the PS4 on standby overnight. Come tomorrow you'll be able to play FIFA.

atown1976

That is only 336 MB. That should only take 20-30 min. Sorry my brother but you just have crappy internet service. Thats how mine used to be until I upgraded.

Haymansafc

This is actually quite concerning. I don’t own a PS4 yet (intending on getting one sometime this year), but does this mean system updates have to be done online rather than via the game disc? If that's the case, then how are you supposed to update your console if you don’t have any internet access? I thought the PS4 could be used without it?

I may very well be 'barking up the wrong tree' and apologies if I am but that's very poor form from Sony if you're just 'presumed' to have absolute top of the line, unlimited internet access. Personally speaking, I've just upgraded to unlimited Fibre Optic within the last week (partly in preparation for a PS4…) and to be honest, I'd say it was about 10/15% better than the broadband we had before – and that was only about 5% better than Dial Up (if that). It's the best you can possibly get as things stand so I can only hope it's good enough to cope.

I really do fear for the future of gaming if console manufacturers, including gaming developers/producers simply ‘assume’ everyone uses the internet for gaming. It's something which I've yet to do and even though I really want to give it a try once I finally get a PS4, I haven't a clue how to go about it either… What on earth is wrong with the simple disc that everyone could use…?!

KMJ_84

This is actually quite concerning. I don’t own a PS4 yet (intending on getting one sometime this year), but does this mean system updates have to be done online rather than via the game disc? If that's the case, then how are you supposed to update your console if you don’t have any internet access? I thought the PS4 could be used without it?

Apologies if this comes across as abrupt, but how else would you update a system/game other than using the internet?

Don't get me wrong, you can use a PS4 without connecting to the internet, but you'll be missing out on a lot of the features.

schoat333

Why would a system update be on a game disc? System updates can be put on a thumb drive and installed without connecting to the internet.

As for game updates, how would that be on the original game disc? The term update means it changes since release of the game.

Dmadman72

I Shall Finish The Game
I was just going to suggest the same thing. Set everything to download and then put the PS4 on standby overnight. Come tomorrow you'll be able to play FIFA.
Thats why I was asking about multiple tasks. When I turned mine on a couple days ago I had to update the system but it seemed to take for ever. I went into my DL's and noticed that a KZ update was downloading. As soon as the KZ update was done it was only a matter of minutes. If His FIFA has taken priority that would explain why his system update is taking so long.

AFAIK you only have to go online once to update the system. If the system can not connect to the internet after that I will not be able to find the updates for the game and there for won't need to be updated.

KN1GHTMARE

I bought fifa 14 yesterday afternoon. Why? I really don't know because know matter how many times the system reboots & says "system software update" it still has another file to download!!!

30 hours now since I bought this game, Sony the PS4 SUCKS!!!!!

Why can't the latest software be on the disc itself?????? Load of crap, I'm sure mine won't be the first PS4 on a buy/sell page!

Well it's no secret the firmware updates and game updates could be handles a lot better, but it would be foolish to expect the latest update to be on disc. If a game ships today to stores and is stocked how would an update a month from now make its way on to those disc? LOL I understand your frustration however.

Nackles

Seriously? Don't say the PS4 sucks until you have a valid reason. Your internet sucks. If you played it on a standard def TV would you also be saying the resolution on the PS4 SUCKS DONT BUY!!!?
Find someone who has a real internet connection and sideload the update to a USB stick.
It doesn't happen every time I want to play a game.
Hurry up and sell your PS4 and get off of these forums. Don't talk about it, be about it.

Haymansafc

Apologies if this comes across as abrupt, but how else would you update a system/game other than using the internet?

Don't get me wrong, you can use a PS4 without connecting to the internet, but you'll be missing out on a lot of the features.

No need to apologise - it's a perfectly reasonable question! Now, I'm not a technical person and have already said so in the past. The majority of technical discussions using seemingly random numbers and letters just go over my head entirely!

By 'update', whenever I've bought a new PS3 game over the past year or more I can never play it straight away like I used to. I always have to download some 'update' or another first in order for it to work. I presumed this was something on the disc that the PS3 needed putting onto it in order for it to play the game. Obviously, I have no idea if that's the same thing or not... All I know is I never had any of this with any PS1 or PS2 game I purchased. I have never connected my PS3 to the internet so I haven't a clue what would happen if I did.

Again though, this just brings me back to my point over console manufacturers (and the game producers/developers) having a 'presumption' that everyone has top class internet. It's a dangerous thought to have and make no doubt, it will alienate many gamers until utility companies can provide the sort of quality internet that's required to run these new generation machines. Either that, or for the costs of these top of the range internet packages in place to become more affordable.

As I've said, I've just upgraded to an unlimited, Fibre Optic package in preparation for getting a PS4. It’s supposed to be about the best out there at this moment in time. All I can say is the difference in speed over my old broadband is minimal. It works on forums better than the broadband but for actual streaming such as YouTube, the difference is barely noticeable… It’s still sluggish to load, the picture still occasionally freezes for a second or two e.t.c…

With this new package in place, I have no problem with using the internet when it comes to future gaming as and when I do get a PS4. I really do want to give it a good try. However because of the issues with speed still persisting, it’s one reason why I’m still holding back until I can get more Amazon vouchers or some sort of price reduction simply because I know the reliance upon the internet these days is so heavy. I don’t want to pay full price for a console which I can only use, what, half of it’s features if I can't either figure out how to hook it up in the first place or for it to be hooked up but running terribly.

I hope that clears up a few things.

Last edited:

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
By 'update', whenever I've bought a new PS3 game over the past year or more I can never play it straight away like I used to. I always have to download some 'update' or another first in order for it to work. I presumed this was something on the disc that the PS3 needed putting onto it in order for it to play the game.
These are game patches/updates.When you launch the game and are connected to the internet it will tell you there if there is a patch or update available and prompt you to download it.
Patches/updates may fix glitches,problems with games and also add new features or options entirely that were not available on disc when published.

A PS4 software update (or firmware as its also called) is something different entirely,its for the PS4 console itself.

The updates do get annoying. I found with the PS3, if I did not play it for a while, then turn it on to play something, there would be a whole bunch of updates he needed to do first. I think if you are not connected to the internet, you will be able to play just by putting the disc in like normal, it will not be online to see that there are updates available.

Also, your slow internet does not help. Thats a 5 min download where I am.

jstep7262

I think that the issue nowadays is that these games are so complex and the drive/pressure to get them out ASAP has led developers to put out games that are buggy when they come out, especially once they are being played en masse. Yes, it's been made clear that without a good internet connection it can be quite a PITA. If at all possible, taking to a location with a god connection and doing the updates there will make it much more bearable time-wise.

If that isn't possible though, I would recommend starting the updates before you leave for work or starting them and watching tv for a while while it downloads in the background. At least knowing that the updates are going to take a bit, maybe your hopes won't be so high to play the games right away once you pop them in the system. If it helps, the Xbox One has massive downloads too. I've started updates and switched to watching tv wile it downloads on several occasions.

As far as the updates requiring the internet, well, there's no dumb questions :) it all comes down to this-since the developers don't know what is going to require updates at launch, there isn't any way to for them to put them on the disc. Like i mentioned to the OP earlier in this looong reply, if you don't have the internet, taking it to a friend or family members house while you visit and update then will probably be your best bet. Hope this helps guys!