• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

What will be PlayStation's answer to Gears of War?

lindbergh

Sony has a lot of games up their sleeve. They have always been able to give gamers what they want from action games to RPGs. They have always been able to match and one up the Xbox 360 except in two games - Halo and Gears of War. Now, Sony is developing a new KillZone game that could very well be the game that could finally overthrow Halo. But what about Gears of War? Do they have an answer for that game?

OniBlackMage

RPG Ambassador
I think Killzone was always intended to the be the anti-Halo artillery, so we'll let them continue to wage that war. Its true that there has been no particular head-to-head contender for Gears of war, but the 3rd-person co-op cover-based shooter really only saw its boom in this current gen. It's kind of a specific niche to design for, though its true Gears is a very successful franchise. Maybe Uncharted tried its hand on that same field, but not quite.

This next-gen, with all of the new IP coming out and setting in their roots, I have faith we'll see more entries into that sub-genre. I'm always up for more co-op games.

Reptar_On_Ice

Gears of War isn't even really much of a thing anymore, is it? Like, I know there was Judgement, which is a really fun game, but there hasn't been anything else announced for the franchise, has there?

lindbergh

I think that Gears of War would make it to the Xbox One. I loved all the games in the series and I believe that they did pretty good in the last iteration too. Yes, Uncharted could be said as the counterpart for the PS 3 but it plays a lot differently from the famed 3rd person shooter for the Xbox. I hope that aside from Uncharted, Sony would come up with a game that could be in direct competition to GoW.

Haze

Gears of War isn't even really much of a thing anymore, is it? Like, I know there was Judgement, which is a really fun game, but there hasn't been anything else announced for the franchise, has there?

Not as yet, but I think it's one of those inevitable things. I would love to see the Gears franchise on the PS. It's my favourite Xbox franchise (except for Judgment which was disappointing) Sadly, I think it will never happen as it's one of their only exclusives they have left.

Medza

That's pretty much right, the franchise has been done and overdone many times, and whilst it was one of the stronger franchises for the 360, I don't think that it will have the same 'wow' factor that it did back then, so I don't really think that Sony needs to fear anything, but having said that , Killzone is probably the closest we will see to a 'retaliation' from Sony.

lindbergh

Oh, I have an idea... Why not transform the Resistance franchise into a third-person shooter ala GoW? That would certainly turn a lot of heads. Resistance would always be behind Killzone's shadow. So why not make something drastic for the franchise? They made a 3rd person game out of it on the PSP. I think it would be great on the PS4.

Clark Wayne

Yeah I think Killzone has always been Sony's answer to Gears of War, except it is a First Person Shooter. Like others have said though, right now the status of the Gears of War franchise is uncertain, as after Judgment, there hasn't been any news of a new entry in the series. I think Microsoft should worry about having answers to Sony's series though such as Uncharted or The Order: 1886. It would nice to see Microsoft not rely so much on shooters all the time.

Mudgee

My name is Adam.
I personally don't even rate gears of war that highly. I don't particularly think GoW needs a rival in the awful third-person shooting; awkward camera angle genre.

Haze

Oh, I have an idea... Why not transform the Resistance franchise into a third-person shooter ala GoW? That would certainly turn a lot of heads. Resistance would always be behind Killzone's shadow. So why not make something drastic for the franchise? They made a 3rd person game out of it on the PSP. I think it would be great on the PS4.

Actually, a third person Resistance game isn't that bad of an idea :)

Yeah, I really don't see why Playstation needs an "Answer". There are tons of games like this, let them do something different :/

4justice

Yeah I think Killzone has always been Sony's answer to Gears of War, except it is a First Person Shooter. Like others have said though, right now the status of the Gears of War franchise is uncertain, as after Judgment, there hasn't been any news of a new entry in the series. I think Microsoft should worry about having answers to Sony's series though such as Uncharted or The Order: 1886. It would nice to see Microsoft not rely so much on shooters all the time.

Wrong, Killzone was a counter to Halo, not Gears of War. And Killzone wouldn't be an answer to Gears anyway since Killzone started on the PS2 and Gears just came along this generation

But why does everyone have to bring about arguments such as " Game A needs to be an answer to Game B"? This is the kind of stuff that start fanboy wars.

BlackSolaris

Professional Escapologist
In terms of sales for each system, i would say Uncharted. It might be strange at first, but think about, there were people that bought the 360 because of Gears of War, and the same happened to the PS3 with Uncharted. Also they are both third person, but where one is focusing on gore and violence, the other focus on exploration and over the top cinema action.

wowtgp

I can't comprehend why they need to give answer to Halo. Candidly speaking, they can't for the time being. Fans who love Gears of War will keep playing it no matter what game Sony comes up with. Same with Halo and other Xbox games for that matter.

You can say the same for Sony. We will not switch the sides just because they are developing something in response to God of War games. Ain't gonna happen.

AvalonX

Microsoft really hurt the Gears image by releasing Judgement which is not really popular with the hardcore Gears fans. I also do not think Microsoft owns the Gears IP. So it is not impossible to see Gears on the PS4 unless MS throws all kind of money at Epic again. That said, as far as a one on one compare there isn't one although a Gears like game using the unreal engine can't be all the hard to make.

Esperahol

It doesn't really seem like there needs to be an "answer" to GOW or Halo since while popular they aren't the be all or end all of everything. I mean I like Halo alright (rather tired of it now), but I never cared about Gears of War. It just wasn't my kind of game. I didn't buy the 360 for it and I wouldn't by the Xbone for another reiteration of it. By the same token I found God of War an alright ride, but if I never see Kratos again I shan't shed a tear - he's a god-awful protagonist who never claims his faults and crimes. So yeah, a MS version of God of War ain't gonna sell me on an Xbone. Also why must all games look the same? Isn't that just boring?

lindbergh

Also why must all games look the same? Isn't that just boring?

So, do you consider sequels boring?

Sony did it with Killzone. It was dubbed as a Halo killer before. But then it didn't live up to the hype. Maybe they would do it with Gears of War too? Or maybe they wouldn't. Yes, Gears of War is not the main selling point of the Xbox. But for those who are solid PlayStation fanboys, probably they also deserve a taste of what it's like to play a game similar to Gears. :)

wowtgp

It doesn't really seem like there needs to be an "answer" to GOW or Halo since while popular they aren't the be all or end all of everything. I mean I like Halo alright (rather tired of it now), but I never cared about Gears of War. It just wasn't my kind of game. I didn't buy the 360 for it and I wouldn't by the Xbone for another reiteration of it. By the same token I found God of War an alright ride, but if I never see Kratos again I shan't shed a tear - he's a god-awful protagonist who never claims his faults and crimes. So yeah, a MS version of God of War ain't gonna sell me on an Xbone. Also why must all games look the same? Isn't that just boring?

You hit the nail right on it's head. I won't worry and switch sides just because Xbone has something in answer to God of War series. I am just too tired of it already. Same goes for Gears and War and Halo series. Why Sony must find an answer to hackneyed Xbox exclusives. The reason why I have picked up PS4 is because of it's unique and amazing games with some new IPs too. On the other hand, Microsoft is catering to the same rinse and repeat formula.

I don't want them to answer anything or any game.

4justice

Sony did it with Killzone. It was dubbed as a Halo killer before. But then it didn't live up to the hype. Maybe they would do it with Gears of War too? Or maybe they wouldn't. Yes, Gears of War is not the main selling point of the Xbox. But for those who are solid PlayStation fanboys, probably they also deserve a taste of what it's like to play a game similar to Gears. :)

To be clear, the Killzone games live up to the hype. We can't confuse sales for quality. Just look at the Barbie Dolls and Jem Dolls from the 80's. Jem was a better quality product and better made. But because Barbie was already popular and Jem came to market second, it didn't get the recognition it deserved.

And also, the MEDIA dubbed it "Halo Killer", not Sony. So if it didn't "live up" to whatever hype people say there is, you can't blame Sony. Blame all those media publications that dubbed it "Halo Killer" on their own.

Reptar_On_Ice

Killzone wasn't really supposed to be an 'answer' or a 'killer' to anything in specific. It was just a Playstation exclusive shooter. Not many games these days are 'answers' to other games. Retaliatory development is something that has fallen by the wayside.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements