• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

What was your biggest disappointment of the generation?

nickjt

We all have games that we look forward to for years, watching all the preview videos and reading every article, but then the worst happens, the game is released and it is terrible. For me it was The Force Unleashed 2. I loved the first game and couldn't wait for the second. It was terrible about 2-3 hours long and most of the levels were copied from the first game. It felt like they had forgotten to make the game and rushed something at the last minute.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
I've said it many times on this forum but its definitely without a doubt Aliens: Colonial Marines. I really do think its a game that will go in history as the generations biggest dissappointment. You have a major publisher (Sega) and a major developer (Gearbox), outsourced to a third developer (TimeGate), a troubled development cycle, a huge following before release afterwards a huge flop. Its like a B rated love story.

Last edited:

Cpt Blackadder

I think my biggest disapoointment was for me there wasn't a great huge step up from some of the early games.

Here's what i mean. Uncharted 1 set the bar VERY early of how great the console could be, but it only felt like Naughty Dog realized this. I was hoping for more quality story driven adventures like this, but outside, uncharted, the last of us, and at the very end Tomb Raider, not a huge amount came along.

Honourable nods to the god of war series, enslaved, Heavenly Sword, and Heavy Rain, Beyond, but these were about it in 7 years!

The other thing that did my head in was look at the graphics of this game, and this was 6 months removed from a launch title!!!

So the question is, if this was only 6 months away from being a launch title, and i played this game a lot, and it's STUNNING, why did we get so MANY gaff looking games thereafter ???I thought the generation would progress from this, but majority of games, just loooked worse as we went on.

My other biggest gripe was how poor some games .. SOME not all, were online. I saw my son playing Star wars Battlefront on the PS2 online and it worked stupednously well, so why oh why did we get so many broken, laggy games when the old tech managed it, but not the new. I put up with it as access to online games was free, so you put it down to your getting it for free, don't complain i supose

Other gripes were i WISH there were more games made like Beyond, Heavy Rain, Journey, The Puppeteer. We just mainly got the same guff dressed up different, but at least these games were different and to me embraced how the medium of gaming could be used as an interactive experience. I wanted more like this :)

Oh and lastly i loved Alpine skiing 2005, and the same the next year 2006 with Bode Miller on the PS2...

Did we get ONE skiing game for the PS3 generation ??? boo hoo.... :(

Haze

Definitely agree with Titan about Aliens: Colonial Marines. Love the films, absolutely despised this game.

For me, it's not my biggest disappointment of all time, but what comes to mind instantly is... Assassin's Creed III.

Everything about this game looked so good. The setting, the new additions, the characters. Man what happened? The game was basically a 90% tutorial. And I can't stand games like that. Conner was pretty dull. It was a slow slog to get through till the end. Just a big disappointment. Makes me feel better that I wasn't the only one who thought this :)

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
I agree on Aliens Colonial Marines,love the movies (mostly) but this particular game was very average.I wouldnt say its the biggest disappointment though.
Ive had some crappy games on PS3 but I didnt expect anything from them in the first place.
The biggest disappointment? Dunno really.Tough one.

Haymansafc

As I've said before, over the last few years I've ventured increasingly away from console gaming and concentrated more on the PC/Indie scene. Why? I think the outgoing generation of consoles, such as the PS3, have been badly let down by the producers and developers of games.

This generation of consoles has seen an absolute deluge of FPS titles to the point there was virtually nothing else available, barring the odd sports title. Everything seemed to involve some sort of war or conflict and games which weren’t initially about simply shooting your way though such as Resident Evil (survival horror), have all been watered down into effectively more FPS titles… It's driven me absolutely nuts. Don't get me wrong, I used to love the Quake series and titles like this because they were reasonably unique for their time. It's now got to the stage now where we’ve been utterly deluged by FPS games and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight… To me they all play the same, look the same and feel the same. I’m utterly bored out of my skull with them.

It's only towards the end of this generation where things really have picked up with the likes of the superb 'The Last Of Us', GTA5 and the current Tomb Raider. Going back a few years, Portal 2 is also a superb game. These are the sorts of titles I personally feel have been sadly lacking for several years. In recent weeks, we’ve also had the pleasure of the PS3 edition of Minecraft. Something else I also rate highly.

I'm actually rather frustrated that it's only in the final year or so on the lead up to the PS4's release that there has been some really decent PS3 titles for me to buy. It should have been like this all along…! Again, I have absolutely no issue with the console. It’s boring, repetitive and somewhat lazy developers and producers which I'm venting my frustrations at. It's all very well in having fancy graphics but to me, I rate actual gameplay, a storyline, puzzles and strategy over them any day. 'The Last Of Us' to me shows there's still potential in the PS3 and that it still hasn't quite been fully utilised. It's one reason why I have yet to go out and buy a PS4.

So, the biggest disappointing game for me? It has to be Rage. I expected an awful lot from that game being from the developers of the likes of Doom. I was expecting it to be like a modern interpretation of that and I recall quite a lot of hype being around it at the time. However, it turned out to be a rather limited, budget-feeling, standardised FPS which bored me within a few hours. It wasn’t a 'bad' game as such, but it was so disappointingly mediocre at best.

ajally123

I would say Beyond: Two Souls. There was so much hype for it because of the studio and the success of The Last of Us and the game just fell flat. I played Heavy Rain last year and was really interested in it and tanked it in a couple of days. These sort of games that hold everything on story need a good hold on it to carry it through but unlike Heavy Rain it just didn't interest me well enough. It was disjointed and waffled on too much but I will praise the graphics and voice acting as they were ace! I look forward to what Quantic Dream does on PS4.

iamthenight90

The Watcher In The Wings
I would say Beyond: Two Souls. There was so much hype for it because of the studio and the success of The Last of Us and the game just fell flat. I played Heavy Rain last year and was really interested in it and tanked it in a couple of days. These sort of games that hold everything on story need a good hold on it to carry it through but unlike Heavy Rain it just didn't interest me well enough. It was disjointed and waffled on too much but I will praise the graphics and voice acting as they were ace! I look forward to what Quantic Dream does on PS4.

naughty dog didnt make heavy rain or beyond

Last edited:

iamthenight90

The Watcher In The Wings
watch_Dogs had such a big hype train but when broken promises and downgraded graphics hit the tracks, that train crashed and killed everyone on it

The Unlosing Ranger

Mighty Strike-Out Slugger
I have to say Dishonored was a massive disappointment for me. Might not be the biggest, but it's the first that came to mind. All the hype surrounding the game, I though I was in for something special... but the game doesn't have the content or quality to truly feel like it was worth it. I beat the game and it felt like it should have been one of those $20 downloadable games. There was almost no weapon or enemy variation in the game, making it feel pretty shallow. The story was pretty friggin' meh. They also repeated a few levels.

It just felt cheap. Shallow. Lame. Even if the gameplay itself was pretty solid, it just was extremely lacking and felt like a cheap $20 download-only title, not like the AAA retail title it was made out to be. It was not the next Bioshock. It was not groundbreaking. It was just a lame little game.

jbeavis100

I still think Bioshock is a pretty average game. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty good but it's not some huge masterpiece that people seem to make it out to be either.

Livvy

I've said it many times on this forum but its definitely without a doubt Aliens: Colonial Marines. I really do think its a game that will go in history as the generations biggest dissappointment. You have a major publisher (Sega) and a major developer (Gearbox), outsourced to a third developer (TimeGate), a troubled development cycle, a huge following before release afterwards a huge flop. Its like a B rated love story.

Really? That's the failure you go with from Gearbox?

Not Duke Nukem Forever?

Although I guess that's more the failure of the industry rather than the generation.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
Really? That's the failure you go with from Gearbox?

Not Duke Nukem Forever?

Although I guess that's more the failure of the industry rather than the generation.
I only ever played the demo. Reason I'm going with colonial marines is I was following it since it was first announced many years ago and had incredibly high expectations like many people did.

Livvy

I only ever played the demo. Reason I'm going with colonial marines is I was following it since it was first announced many years ago and had incredibly high expectations like many people did.

You don't even need to play the entire game to know that Forever was the biggest failure of recent years. It was ten years or more in the making and it was just...games should not be shifted around and cancelled so many times as that game was. They were so concerned with getting it out that they forgot to actually make sure anyone wanted to play the damn game.

The Unlosing Ranger

Mighty Strike-Out Slugger
I think Duke Nukem Forever turned out pretty good, considering the development hell it was put through! Jesus, I'm just amazed it even actually existed at all.

nbadieahard519

The biggest disappointment I have had was when I begged my parents to buy the new Naruto game at the time and it was Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, what disappointed me was the fact that story mode and personally I think it did not include everything important, the second disappointment was battling against other people, for example there was this one move when you would dash at them it would stun you which was very broken and many people online used that and it tended to get on my nerves, a little advice for the company is that they should take a look at the online for Naruto Broken Bond and make it exactly like that expect the different ranks were cool add on but you would lose way too many points when you lost.

Ofnir

I never brought Duke Nukem Forever because I knew it was going to be garbage. My biggest disapointment was easily Guild Wars 2, SO MUCH hype, to the point where if people lambasted stuff in the beta people would call you a troll. Hype train worked well for them though, I brought the big expensive CE..lmao. I learned my lesson though, only MMO I'm going to play is WoW.

ajally123

naughty dog didnt make heavy rain or beyond

I know, what I meant why saying that was because The Last of Us came out and was a huge success, loads of people were betting Beyond: Two Souls to be too. This hasn't anything to do with the developer as they are both good studios. There was just a load of hype at that time for both those games.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements