• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Wait... Will PS5 even come out?

Chi

Think about it, the amount of portability that systems are getting, wouldn't that make restricted systems obsolete? The Oculus Quest is making the PSVR unnecessary for cheap VR, because it's only $400 as a standalone...REALLY GOOD! I am sure that there will be a sequel to the PS4, but later on and it will probably be as different and insane as the Nintendo Switch was...and still is.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
I don't know how much powerful "Oculus Quest" is over the older Oculus models, but the game industry barely even reports anything positive about it. When I see that a product is not getting enough hype, it signals that the product is selling at a slower pace. It's owned by Facebook, but I mean, I doubt that it even competes on the same grand scale as PSVR. So far, PSVR sold over 3 Million units, if I remember correctly.

PlayStation 4 sold over 91 Million units worldwide. There is still a market for game consoles. Nintendo Switch is selling well because of two factors: 1) It's Nintendo. 2) Nintendo dominates the handheld market. There is not other way around that fact.

Nintendo was sued over the hybrid console idea, a no-name ipad/iphone accessories maker sued them because they thought that Nintendo Switch was too similar to their own "slide-your-controller-in" design. Nintendo is rumored to be coming out with not one, but two Switch SKU's to fix a few issues, such as the lawsuit, and the exploit in the current Switch model. So, I doubt we'll continue to see a rise in hybrids any time soon.

Microsoft teased their next console during E3 2018. Shortly thereafter, we've been getting leaks, speculation, rumors, and hints as to what Microsoft is planning to do with their next iteration of Xbox. There are 4 codenames so far: Scarlett, Maverick, Lockheart, and Anaconda.

On the topic of whether PlayStation 5 is coming or not, we've been getting leaks, speculation, rumors and nudges towards PS5 for a while now. In fact, last quarter (during holiday season), Sony said that PS4 is on its final years. On top of this, Sony skipped their annual PSX event, followed by the announcement that they will not be at E3 2019.

It's coming.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
The answer to your question OP is no. Dedicated consoles will not be obsolete because of more mobile platforms. Not by a long shot. If Gameboy didn't unseat dedicated consoles in the 90s, phones and VR won't either. At least any time soon.

Guy's what do you think about price of next gen console AKA PlayStation 5, is it possible to be higher than 700$? I'm asking this because in my country, which is not supported by the Sony PlayStation, Serbia is always increase 100$ price than in the other Europe countries...
I was pay at January 2017. for new PS4Pro about 600$ without any game's, bundles or anything else except the new console with more power, one DS4 V2, USB cables, HDMI cables, mono headset...
After that I was buy the PlayStation camera V2, PlayStation Gold wireless headset and in the summer of 2017. a PS VR set without game, move controller or anything else...
Hello to everyone, I'm ex PC gamer who's switch to PlayStation gamer and I never regret, except when I heard which PS4 games are free for July 2019 [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Послато са SM-N960F помоћу Тапатока

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Guy's what do you think about price of next gen console AKA PlayStation 5, is it possible to be higher than 700$? I'm asking this because in my country, which is not supported by the Sony PlayStation, Serbia is always increase 100$ price than in the other Europe countries...
I was pay at January 2017. for new PS4Pro about 600$ without any game's, bundles or anything else except the new console with more power, one DS4 V2, USB cables, HDMI cables, mono headset...
After that I was buy the PlayStation camera V2, PlayStation Gold wireless headset and in the summer of 2017. a PS VR set without game, move controller or anything else...
Hello to everyone, I'm ex PC gamer who's switch to PlayStation gamer and I never regret, except when I heard which PS4 games are free for July 2019 [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

We honestly don't know at this point. To be fair, in United States, PlayStation 3 cost $600 at launch, and dropped to $500 MSRP a year later. It was a pretty powerful console for its time. So, I bet that it cost $700 in Serbia for a PS3 in those days. The extra costs were attributed to chips (like the Cell processor), the Blu-Ray player (which at the time was pretty expensive), and the BC (Backward Compatibility) chips.

Sony themselves said that the price will be "attractive" to players/consumers. But the specs seem pretty powerful. Here's the link to the original article about PS5. Project Scarlett is rumored to be just as powerful as a PC, since they said that they're going to use the hard drive as a virtual RAM.

nodixe

We honestly don't know at this point. To be fair, in United States, PlayStation 3 cost $600 at launch, and dropped to $500 MSRP a year later. It was a pretty powerful console for its time. So, I bet that it cost $700 in Serbia for a PS3 in those days. The extra costs were attributed to chips (like the Cell processor), the Blu-Ray player (which at the time was pretty expensive), and the BC (Backward Compatibility) chips.

Sony themselves said that the price will be "attractive" to players/consumers. But the specs seem pretty powerful. Here's the link to the original article about PS5. Project Scarlett is rumored to be just as powerful as a PC, since they said that they're going to use the hard drive as a virtual RAM.
Do you mean just as powerful as a high end pc? Because the ps4 and xb1 were both as powerful as mid range pc's when they launched. Or do you mean that using hdd as ram is something never done before on console and therefore a game changer?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Do you mean just as powerful as a high end pc? Because the ps4 and xb1 were both as powerful as mid range pc's when they launched. Or do you mean that using hdd as ram is something never done before on console and therefore a game changer?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I know PS4, and Xbox One were like mid-tier PC's, but from what I read, PS5 and Project Scarlett seem to be targeting for higher specs than what we're all used to. I'm not going to say that they're going be game changers, because we've seen it before with PS3. The PS3 was pretty powerful, goddamn near higher tier. Same with those steam machines, and the recently released Xbox One X.

And, yes, the virtual ram thing is unique and never been done before - that is true. But I meant that the specs seem to pushing that pricing limits. Put it this way: PS3 by today's dollar is going to become $1000, since to actually PRODUCE it it cost the C.E.O. $700 a unit at the time. (I'm not kidding, there was an article about it; Andrew bought back PS3's for $1000 each.)

Last edited:
What yours opinions with price both next gen console?
That's interested me mostly, because if the price will be (just example) 700$ in my country which is not supported by the SonyPlaystation, will be more than 800$... When was PS4Pro release I will pay for that console in January 2017 about 610$ without any game or other. That's politic in Serbia (all country have about 500.000 PS4 consoles which is population of Slovenia [emoji1218] with full support by SonyPlaystation)...
What do you thinks, how much will be PS5 and how much will be Xbox Scarlet, are they be same price or Xbox Scarlet would be cheaper? That's totally deranged me because the new ruomors says that PS5 will be 800$ and if that happen in my country will be more than 900$ which is lot of money for me... I have a few serious link by serious games journalist who's write about this prise...
Thus us one of them
PS5 RUMOURS, RELEASE DATE & SPEC.

Thank's in advance and Salut for all gamers on this post from Serbia [emoji1212]...

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
What yours opinions with price both next gen console?
That's interested me mostly, because if the price will be (just example) 700$ in my country which is not supported by the SonyPlaystation, will be more than 800$... When was PS4Pro release I will pay for that console in January 2017 about 610$ without any game or other. That's politic in Serbia (all country have about 500.000 PS4 consoles which is population of Slovenia [emoji1218] with full support by SonyPlaystation)...
What do you thinks, how much will be PS5 and how much will be Xbox Scarlet, are they be same price or Xbox Scarlet would be cheaper? That's totally deranged me because the new ruomors says that PS5 will be 800$ and if that happen in my country will be more than 900$ which is lot of money for me... I have a few serious link by serious games journalist who's write about this prise...
Thus us one of them
PS5 RUMOURS, RELEASE DATE & SPEC.

Thank's in advance and Salut for all gamers on this post from Serbia [emoji1212]...

I would calm down if I were you reading those articles. Analysts from our view are boiler plate bullshit speak. Look no further than Michael Patcher, who spouts garbage about consoles before its even out. And the other thing to note is that these articles are meant to make you click the headline. Right now, the industry is a very confusing place for everyone. You've got headlines that catch your eye, you've got clickbait articles, you've got "hate bait," you've got "social justice" articles, fake news, and so on and on. Stick to credible sources. Geoff Keighley is credible, but Patcher is dumpster fire. He always does this shit.

What do I think? When I hear "the price will be attractive to gamers." I'm getting the sense that this will be at least 500. The best we can hope for would be $400, like PS4. The issue is going to boil down to how much that will convert in your country. Now, when companies like Sony and Nintendo price their consoles, they price it proportionate to where they were produced. Last time it was two factories that were doing it: China, and Japan. However, because Donald Trump made tariffs for imports from and to U.S. to China (and vice versa), so that will change things. Not just the price, but where it's going to be manufactured.

I would calm down if I were you reading those articles. Analysts from our view are boiler plate bullshit speak. Look no further than Michael Patcher, who spouts garbage about consoles before its even out. And the other thing to note is that these articles are meant to make you click the headline. Right now, the industry is a very confusing place for everyone. You've got headlines that catch your eye, you've got clickbait articles, you've got "hate bait," you've got "social justice" articles, fake news, and so on and on. Stick to credible sources. Geoff Keighley is credible, but Patcher is dumpster fire. He always does this shit.

What do I think? When I hear "the price will be attractive to gamers." I'm getting the sense that this will be at least 500. The best we can hope for would be $400, like PS4. The issue is going to boil down to how much that will convert in your country. Now, when companies like Sony and Nintendo price their consoles, they price it proportionate to where they were produced. Last time it was two factories that were doing it: China, and Japan. However, because Donald Trump made tariffs for imports from and to U.S. to China (and vice versa), so that will change things. Not just the price, but where it's going to be manufactured.
Thank's man for answering me precisely and seriously with instruction which I will follow right now.
p.s. My tension is now, quit a bit, less... Tnx man...

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements