• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Upgrading the hard drive

Girevik

I think I'm going to have to upgrade the hard drive in my PS4 and had a couple of questions.

First of all is a 1TB drive big enough if I mostly buy disks and don't download games, or should I get a 2TB?

I'm also wondering about how I transfer may data. Is it just a matter of making sure all my saved games are backed up to the cloud, letting the games install from the disk, and bringing back down my saves? Or is there more to it than that to make sure I don't lose data?

Kamehameha

Well, whether you buy games physically or digitally they take up the same amount of space because you still have to install them to the system.

It really just depends on how many games you plan on buying. Personally, I would go with at least a 2 TB just to make sure, but a 1 TB will let you install quite a few games.

Also, of course you can just delete games you aren't playing and install them again later without losing any progress or anything. I know that's inconvenient, but it's what I'm doing personally until I upgrade. :)

As for your second question, I can't really comment. I'm not sure how that works exactly. However, all of your games are tied to your account so worse case scenario you would just have to install them again.

Last edited:

Girevik

Ok, thanks. I guess I thought if you had the disk it didn't have to download as much stuff and read the bulk of it from the disk it's self.

I did decide to go with the 2TB. I decided it was worth the extra $40 in order to not risk running out of space again

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements