• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

The dualshock - perhaps the best controller ever?

Medza

The dualshock has been around since 1997, and even now it's design hasn't changed much. The dualshock is slick, light and easy to use unlike the competitors , for example the 360 controller is much heavier and bulkier. The combination of the two analogue sticks and the D-pad make it perfect for a very wide variety of games, ranging from platforms to racing games and 3D adventure games. The micro USB connection in the dual shock 3 can be used to connect to a PC and play emulated games.

Ever since I had my first PS1 the dualshock has been my favourite controller. Over the years it was tinkered with and improved, but they never took a step back with it. It has always been great and I think it will carry on being the dominant console pad for many years to come. I would love to hear what you guys think about this. What do you think is the best controller ever?

lindbergh

I believe so too. The dual shock perfectly fits my hands. The dual analog sticks are positioned perfectly for easy access. The shoulder buttons at the side could be easily pressed by my index and middle fingers. I have never experienced any problems in playing games while using the Dual Shock.

Joker99352

I don't know about that, but I don't really prefer any controller type to any other. I like the Xbox 360 controller because it feels full-bodied and fits well in my hands. I like the Dualshock controller (especially when it's wireless) because it's more slick, and it works better for a lot of games that I like to play. But at the end of the day, they each have as many shortcomings as one another, and I prefer to switch from one to the other periodically to get the most out of each.

Medza

I suppose you got to use what feels right in your hands, I have rather tiny hands and the dualshock fits just right, but the Xbox 360 pad just feels too heavy and chunky for me.

Joker99352

I feel the same way, but it doesn't bother me much at all. I like that the PS3 controller has a built-in battery, but it feels really light because of it. I use rechargeable batteries in my Xbox 360 controllers, so it isn't that big of a deal when they get run down, but the controller itself is a bit awkward and the light is way too bright when I play at night.

DrRipley

I've always been more of a fan of having most of the buttons in front. I never had too much trouble reaching them anyway, so I don't know why they had to change it. It's relatively tolerable, though, and I still like it more than the 360 controller. Also, I dislike the separate directional buttons because it's not too comfortable for fighting games. My favorite has always been the Sega controllers, particularly the second Genesis controller with 6 buttons and the Sega Saturn controllers.

Joker99352

I prefer the PS3 controller for fighting games. I even bought Injustice for the PS3 over the 360 simply because of the controller. I'm still really bad at fighting games, but that's a different issue altogether.

Pickicool

It is important to remember the GameCube controller. For me, it was the perfect controller. With today's improvements, the GameCube controller was hailed by all gamers.
For now, the best controller is that of the PS3. Just because I took Sony for a long time and I am now accustomed

I feel that the Dualshock controller 4 is my favorite. I'm sure.

Gamer_Fries

Hey guys I doubt it matters what controller is the best, just the few controllers that were the worst thing ever possibly conceived.

Think of the Atari Jaguar, or how about the Tony Hawk Ride board and finally and most certainly worst the Steel Battalion controller.
There have been some pretty awful controllers through the years but as of most recently I think all of the controllers have been pretty well designed. Although one last note the actual best controller has got to be keyboard amirite?

Joker99352

The fact that the Dualshock has been around this long and has barely changed at all says a lot. I like that Microsoft has been changing up Xbox controllers since the original, but I suppose if they had gotten it right the first time they wouldn't have had to.

Clark Wayne

I'd have to agree with you on that. The DualShock is by far the best gaming controller in my opinion. I know a lot of people prefer the Xbox controller but, it just feels so awkward in my hands. The DualShock however fits so great in my hands. Some people complain that it's too small but it feels just right to me.

Medza

The fact that the Dualshock has been around this long and has barely changed at all says a lot. I like that Microsoft has been changing up Xbox controllers since the original, but I suppose if they had gotten it right the first time they wouldn't have had to.

The brilliant thing about the dualshock is that it was great right from the start, there was no need to change it. Microsoft only produced two consoles to date and the improvement from the orginal xbox pad to the 360 pad was definitely huge, but even then the dualshock has been around through 3 generations of consoles and it's still going strong now.

Joker99352

The thing that makes each console distinct from the last, besides the games, has always been the controller. Sony hasn't changed hardly anything about the Dualshock, which is both a good and a bad thing (but mostly good). I like a little variety, and I'd like to think that the controllers will be 'adapted' to meet new demands of gamers and the games being released. In that sense, the controller may limit the way games are developed. But when you look at the Dualshock compared to the 360 controller, there are pretty much corresponding buttons on each (and generally in the same place, too).

SpaceTiger

The brilliant thing about the dualshock is that it was great right from the start, there was no need to change it. Microsoft only produced two consoles to date and the improvement from the orginal xbox pad to the 360 pad was definitely huge, but even then the dualshock has been around through 3 generations of consoles and it's still going strong now.

Sony knows they had it right with the Dualshock design. Not much has changed from it and it works. If it ain't broke...

...as for the best controller? I personally preferred the Wavebird, the SNES, and Dreamcast controllers in that order.

themarting

Naaaah, to me the button layout was too cumbersome, and the joysticks were too floppy. The original XBox DUKE controller was the best ever made in my opinion, if they had gotten it to feel lighter but less hollow at the same time, it would have been unstoppable

jardantuan

The DualShock is a great controller - one of the earliest controllers I've used and one of the best - but I wouldn't say it's the best.

It does depend what your definition of 'best' controller is. If you're after function, the Wii U Gamepad wins for me. Comfortable controller with a touchscreen? Yes please. Even when it's only used for a map, it still makes a big difference. Arkham City has the map on the touchscreen, and it means you don't have to pause every 5-10 seconds to find out where you're going. Then there's off-TV play, which is very useful if you have to share a TV (or, if you want to watch TV and play games at the same time.

In terms of form, however, I think the best controller is the Gamecube controller. I have yet to use a controller that fits more perfectly into my hands. The button placement, while unconventional, is also much better than anything I've ever used. I sort of wish that Nintendo stopped trying to innovate and just proceeded with the Gamecube design, at least in terms of controllers.

SpaceTiger

I liked the original GC controller alot as well. The button layout was pretty funky, but the form was awesome. Nintendo should've kept working on conventional controllers. I give them credit for always thinking outside the box on controllers. It's like once they came up with a layout and such that everyone would use for the following generation of consoles they just said "Enough of that, this is the Nintendo 64 controller."

jbepp

It's definitely a great controller but not the best.
The best controller is definitely the 360 controller. It's ergonomic and the analogs are perfectly placed.
It's also not as big as the first Xbox controller.

SpiralArchitect

The dualshock is awesome alright but my favorite controllers remain the cheap, non-branded, $3-4 controllers I got for my Sega Genesis. Nostalgia trumps quality folks. :D

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements