• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

SSD

snikr

I'm thinking of using an external SSD on my PS5 when FedEx delivers it (should be in my hands by 1/2/21).

Crunchewy

I got a 1 TB Samsung 870 QVO and a ugreen aluminum usb-c case when they were both on sale before the holiday. Works great. Of course you can only use it for PS4 games, but they load fast and it saves lots of room on the internal for PS5 games.

Brian Duke

For the sake of giving things a try, I went with:

TEAMGROUP L5 3D 1TB (T253TD001T3C101)​

Seeing as I had 3 of them still in the original packaging from a sale I was lucky-enough to catch earlier this summer ($54.99/ea),

To get things connected, I used:

SABRENT USB 3.1 (Type-A) to 2.5-Inch SATA (EC-SS31)​

And used one of the USB ports on the back of the unit.

Went into Settings -> Storage -> Extended Storage and formatted the SSD.

Next, I went to Settings -> Storage -> Console Storage -> Games and apps -> Move to Extended Storage and moved the 2 PS4 games my boys had already installed to the SSD.

I also went to Settings -> Storage -> Extended Storage and enabled the "Always install PS4 Games to Extended Storage" option.

So far, so good. Things seem to be working just fine.

Cheers!

snikr

I got a 1 TB Samsung 870 QVO and a ugreen aluminum usb-c case when they were both on sale before the holiday. Works great. Of course you can only use it for PS4 games, but they load fast and it saves lots of room on the internal for PS5 games.
You don't happen to know the model of the Ugreen case you used with the Samsung drive do you? And how is that "combo" working with your PS5??

Last edited:

Crunchewy

You don't happen to know the model of the Ugreen case you used with the Samsung drive do you? And how is that "combo" working with your PS5??
It's this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y825V4N

Though when I got it it was on sale for $15.99. And it works well. I have found that twice I got a PS4 game update that tries to install and fails (with automatic updates on). If I cancel and delete and then launch the game the update downloads and installs fine. Or maybe if I'd just started the update download again for the dashboard it would have worked the 2nd time. This brings up an annoyance with the PS5 OS. If a game is not on the main screen then there is no way to check for and download an update other than launching the game. For some reason the check for update option is not in the options menu if you are looking at the game in your Library. So that's weird and annoying. Anyway, I don't know if this failed update issue I've had twice is an external drive issue or what, but at least I have a workaround. I suspect it's just a bug with the OS right now and not a drive issue. Might have even been a temporary network issue.

snikr

Thanks for the update on the PS4 games and updating Crunchewy. My drive "update" is on the way. Got myself a WD P50 2 TB SSD. Should be here Tuesday (if the Postal Service is not backed up).