• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Sony won't offer option to disable PS4 DualShock 4 light bar

KMJ_84

PlayStation's president of worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida has ruled out the possibility of offering PS4 owners the option to disable the DualShock 4's light bar.

Yoshida addressed fans via Twitter after the exec was quizzed on the likelihood of a "future update" that may offer the ability to turn off the illuminated panel on the upper surface of the controller for games that make no use of it.

"No," replied Yoshida, in response to the question. When it was later implied such a feature would help extend the controller's battery life, Yoshida added, "The LEDs do not use much battery".
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-option-to-disable-ps4-dualshock-4-light-bar/

I quite like the light bar feature, I've only ever seen Red, Blue and White on the controller though. How many colours have they rammed into that thing?

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
Yellow,when not charging while playing.
And yeah,sure it looks cool but an option to turn it off would have been nice.

I wonder how long before we see modded DS4 controllers online for sale,adding the usual rapid fire features and maybe 'disable light bar' option too.

KMJ_84

Yellow,when not charging while playing.
Eh? I've never seen yellow before. But I've obviously played the console, whilst not charging and it's just been blue.

I think I need to read up more on the light bar. I thought when it was red it meant that it needs charging, checked the battery life and it was full. :eek:

Tripplej

I maybe wrong, but the primary person is blue and the secondary person is red.. That is what I thought.. Not sure. :)

KMJ_84

Well further reading concludes that it all depends on what game you play.

NFS -

Light is blue if you're a cop
Light is red if you're a racer.

Fifa -

Blue - home team
Red - away team

Killzone

Green - full health
Yellow - injured
Red - close to dead/dead

Also the light bar indicates the player number.

Blue - Player 1
Red - Player 2
Green - Player 3
Purple/pink - Player 4

daimashin

I really don't mind the light and thought that it is really cool. The only time I wished that I can turn it off is when the controller is out of charge. I want to turn it off so that it can conserve energy and the battery will last longer. On the other hand, it is pretty useless because the only thing it's for is to look cool.

Obsidian

Well that sucks donkey.

I've never noticed that about Killzone because guess what? The angle I hold the controller, I don't see the damn thing! All it's good for is reflecting off the TV and creating an unwanted mood light. I stuck a bit of duct tape over mine within an hour, until I can be bothered with a more elegant solution.

KMJ_84

From reading the comments on other sites, i'm surprised at the amount of people who want the lights to be turned off just because it's reflecting from their screens. I've never had that issue, but then again, I've never actively looked for a reflection lol

Obsidian

The reflection is a pain if you have the TV on a low stand and you're sitting on the couch to play. Big blue dot in the middle of the screen, especially in dark scenes. People that have the TV higher or play on a monitor probably won't have the issue.

I still don't like how bright it is in the dark though and there are some scary ass games coming soon. Games which, incidentally, would probably be atmospherically ruined by a blue glow.

desarijulian

It's a nice little gimmick but I'm not a major fan of it. I don't like the glare and I wish there was a way to turn it off, or even dim it. Unless there is a dimming option that I haven't seen yet. I don't hate the lightbar but I do wish that I could shut it down for a while because it does bother me at times. A lot of the stuff that it does, I don't even really pay any attention to.

Stuck_X_Button

NFS -

Fifa -

Blue - home team
Red - away team

Killzone

Green - full health
Yellow - injured
Red - close to dead/dead

Blue - Player 1
Red - Player 2
Green - Player 3
Purple/pink - Player 4
That's pretty neat, but it's not particularly...useful since the light isn't facing you. Plus you know what side you're playing in a game or what player you are. You don't need a multicolored light to tell you lol.

trueblue

Thought the light was just put in for sync reasons for the PS Camera?,,, You would of thought there would have been at least an option to switch off then when not using the camera at least. Can't say it bothers me as my tv is wall mounted and I sit below it at eye level. Would imagine it wont be long before there will be other versions of controllers for PS4 appearing on the likes of ebay,, perhaps then there will be options, and probably cheaper. The first copy one for PS3 where cheaper as they didn't have the wireless options,,,similar thing may happen this time around with the light.

SeanM

They should have totally added an off feature for the light bar, not all persons like the light bar you know Yoshida, but I suppose its a moot point, because modded controllers will soon be up all over the net with that feature and many more.

Last edited:

CpmPanda

NFS -

Fifa -

Blue - home team
Red - away team

Killzone

Green - full health
Yellow - injured
Red - close to dead/dead

Blue - Player 1
Red - Player 2
Green - Player 3
Purple/pink - Player 4

Wow that's pretty kickass! A smart idea, such a simple but awesome feature. Would be cool if you can customize the color yourself.

desarijulian

I'm not really a fan of the bar and I understand how annoying it can be. Someone mentioned a temporary solution on another thread that is pretty simple, inexpensive, and something that I'm looking into. A decal, made specifically to fit with the light bar. From what I saw it looked pretty good.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Preach2k CONCEPT Sony Playstation 5 introduction!! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PLAYSTATION 5 ( PS5 ) SONY is NOT Taking Any RISKS This Year ! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5 Details REVEALED | Sony PlayStation 5 High End GPU Cooling & Next Gen Console Pricing Details! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5 console reveal LEAKED by Sony Developer! (PlayStation 5 News) PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k Watch Sony's new PS5 announcement from CES 2020! PlayStation 5 0
Carlos Sony's CES 2020 Livestream PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k Sony CES 2020 Press Conference PlayStation 5 1
Preach2k WARNING for PS5 - Sony has Denied Release Date & Price! (PS5 News)! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5 | HUGE PlayStation 5 Rumor | NEW Ps5 ONLY Games | Should Sony Have Cross-Gen | Ps5 News! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5 News - Sony will release 2 PlayStation 5 consoles! PlayStation 5 4
Carlos Sony confirms the next console is PlayStation 5 PlayStation 5 1
R Sony please bring fight night to ps4!!!!! PlayStation 4 0
S Sony to Remove cross-play from Rocket League!!!!!! PlayStation 4 0
daimaku problem with (non sony) ps4 controller disconnection PlayStation 4 2
Oberon Playstation 4 Neo confirmed by Sony PlayStation 4 4
A Sony PlayStation Return - Warranty Payment PlayStation 4 8
don_bidarian "High-Power" PS4 Model Something Sony Might Consider, Exec Says Hypothetically PlayStation 4 5
A Sony Playstation 4 In Boot Loop (Video Included) PlayStation 4 3
Haze Sony to give PS Plus members 5 additional days for Network Downtime! PlayStation 4 5
jCage Sony Bringing PlayStation Now to Samsung Smart TVs in 2015!! (question) PlayStation 4 8
Sekelani Sony is going under maintenance on Christmas Day :-( PlayStation 4 24
Alex_68 Sony Entertainment Network is down? Off Topic Lounge 5
L Help with Sony Gold Headset PlayStation 4 4
S Sony Xperia z3 remote play PlayStation 4 13
R Sony Confirms 4K Movie Service for PS4 PlayStation 4 2
DemeaningPie Dear Sony, I want... PlayStation 4 6
Oberon New Sony PS4 and PS3 Headset Has 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound,$70 PlayStation 4 9
Sekelani Sony is undergoing maintenance PlayStation 4 21
C Creating Small Casual FB Group (Sons of Sony) PS Clans & Communities 0
R Does anyone know when Sony will release their 4K movie library on the PS4 PlayStation 4 0
daimashin Sony will be unveiling new games at TGS 2014. PlayStation 4 18
K I hate the ps4 and sony PlayStation 4 2
daimashin What game is Sony teasing for Gamescom? PlayStation 4 5
Oberon Sony's streaming game service,PlayStationNow launches into open beta July 31 PlayStation 4 18
ajally123 Sony neglected EA Access subscription service - Thoughts? PlayStation 4 34
jbeavis100 Cross-Play should be standard come on sony PlayStation 4 3
B Hey Sony Peeps Introduce Yourself 2
ajally123 Sony announces gamescom 2014 press conference time and date PlayStation 4 25
Oberon PlayStation May Get an Early Access-Style Program in the Future, Sony Says PlayStation 4 7
iamthenight90 sony movies Off Topic Lounge 3
sparkblade14 What grade would you give Sony's E3 conference? PlayStation 4 14
Cpt Blackadder E3 SONY presentation in 4 minutes PlayStation 4 0
Cpt Blackadder E3 SONY presentation in 4 minutes PlayStation 4 0
epiczail Sony E3 2014 PlayStation 4 10
Haze Sony E3 conference details leaked - Rumour PlayStation 4 8
R will Sony release 4K movies on the PS4 PlayStation 4 17
Oberon Sony to slash the price of PS4 and give away 2 games! [APRIL FOOLS DAY] PlayStation 4 11
VV1LLC Sony Layoffs Discussion PlayStation 4 13
KMJ_84 Sony announces VR headset Project Morpheus during GDC session PlayStation VR 9
KMJ_84 Sony is “going back to the drawing board with Driveclub,” says exec PlayStation 4 2