• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Sony neglected EA Access subscription service - Thoughts?

ajally123

So the news yesterday of a new service called EA Access which is a subscription service for Xbox One that serves up EA games for a monthly or annual fee. For £3.99.$4.99 a month, or £19.99/$29.99 a year, subscribers will receive access to 'The Vault', a PlayStation Plus-like collection of EA games available to download and play at no additional cost. EA Access members will also save ten per cent on purchases of EA digital content, and receive early access to select games beginning with Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA LIVE 15 and Dragon Age: Inquisition later this year.

Apparently Sony were offered this service but the company doesn't believe EA Access represents good value for PlayStation owners. I think that is ridiculous from Sony honestly...

kozluk

I agree. As soon a I received the mail for the app in my inbox on my xbone I snapped it right up. I buy a lot of EA games and dlc.

Annoyed I already have battlefield 4 and premium though.

Ciel

See-Elle
I was seriously expecting the EA subscription to come with Mountain Dew.

On point though, Sony knows better than to do business with EA. Kudos to them.

Ridge

I'm not one of the folks who hates EA for whatever reason everyone seems to, but I'm still fine with Microsoft getting this.

None of those games really appeal to me..

troutski

I'm not a huge EA fan, and I have no problem with Sony declining the EA Access service. It doesn't provide a HUGE value, and PS Plus is far superior in every way possible. Gamers don't need more subscription services. We need value from our titles, and I'm not a fan of paying insane amounts of money for DLC or content that's locked on the disk. Plus, EA can't even release games that run smoothly in some cases.

don_bidarian

While I dont care about EA, I think it would be better for Sony to let the consumers choose whether to use this service or not.
I know this "not letting evil EA extort money from our consumers" route can have positive feedbacks, but it can also backfire to them. I like PS and I dont want them to turn into another Apple.

Ridge

While I dont care about EA, I think it would be better for Sony to let the consumers choose whether to use this service or not.
I know this "not letting evil EA extort money from our consumers" route can have positive feedbacks, but it can also backfire to them. I like PS and I dont want them to turn into another Apple.

I'm assuming some money had to change hands for it to bw exclusive for Microsoft. It wouldn't be as easy as throwing it on the store and watching it play out.

Derri

, , Darkness, ,
I'm assuming some money had to change hands for it to bw exclusive for Microsoft. It wouldn't be as easy as throwing it on the store and watching it play out.

It could just be that I'm being a bit anti-microsoft but I believe Microsoft are trying way too hard to try and capitalize on every new IP, service etc.

kozluk

It could just be that I'm being a bit anti-microsoft but I believe Microsoft are trying way too hard to try and capitalize on every new IP, service etc.

as a Microsoft fan of many years, and still am (even though its wavering) I reluctantly agree to this. I just sense they have become complacent with the success of the 360 that they lost touch with what made it successful, it was a great gaming console that did pretty much everything and more.

Now they seem to focus just on apps and the gaming has become secondary. Its a real shame to the gaming community, SORT IT OUT MICROSOFT!!

ajally123

The thing is, you talk about consumer choice and value for the customer, shouldn't that be decided from the customer? They shouldn't have let this one go to be honest. Even though EA has a terrible reputation this is still a good deal. Cheap as hell considering the things you get (I am also certain they will include better games in the future) and the sports games sell like crazy anyway. I fear Sony declined this because it would offset their PS Now service. That is more expensive and not looking the best deal compared to this (games a side of course). This is just helping Microsoft get a foot fold again....

Madcat32

The thing is, you talk about consumer choice and value for the customer, shouldn't that be decided from the customer? They shouldn't have let this one go to be honest. Even though EA has a terrible reputation this is still a good deal. Cheap as hell considering the things you get (I am also certain they will include better games in the future) and the sports games sell like crazy anyway. I fear Sony declined this because it would offset their PS Now service. That is more expensive and not looking the best deal compared to this (games a side of course). This is just helping Microsoft get a foot fold again....

Having looked into this in a bit more detail it's more all the complaints/admin has to be handled by Sony rather than EA so could be some interesting disputes especially if the games don't run properly.

With it being the older versions most sports fans will want the current years game so can't see a huge appeal.

I don't like how Sony have decided it isn't value though surely better to say EA's terms were too onerous and we made a decision to decline?

Then again the greasy PR machine is in motion at all companies!

Cpt Blackadder

Now they seem to focus just on apps and the gaming has become secondary. Its a real shame to the gaming community, SORT IT OUT MICROSOFT!!

Hilarious...
we've gone from SONY turning a service down to somehow MS is at fault in 11 posts... ?? (sigh )

Kozluk... how has the gaming become secondary for xbox when here we are as a MS users being given the opptunity to play LOADS of EA GAMES at a very low price ? Your comment is contradictory to the extreme.

schoat333

Hilarious...
we've gone from SONY turning a service down to somehow MS is at fault in 11 posts... ?? (sigh )

Kozluk... how has the gaming become secondary for xbox when here we are as a MS users being given the opptunity to play LOADS of EA GAMES at a very low price ? Your comment is contradictory to the extreme.

LOL I agree. that was a stretch. I actually think MS is finally going in the right direction now. They have been making some good gaming decisions lately.

ajally123

Having looked into this in a bit more detail it's more all the complaints/admin has to be handled by Sony rather than EA so could be some interesting disputes especially if the games don't run properly.

With it being the older versions most sports fans will want the current years game so can't see a huge appeal.

I don't like how Sony have decided it isn't value though surely better to say EA's terms were too onerous and we made a decision to decline?

Then again the greasy PR machine is in motion at all companies!

The thing is the games they are offering are old and new. All new sports games are going on the service with early access too. Maybe the reason was a dispute with money or something I don't know but no doubt that the value of money you have to pay is tiny compared to the services actual value.

Madcat32

The thing is the games they are offering are old and new. All new sports games are going on the service with early access too. Maybe the reason was a dispute with money or something I don't know but no doubt that the value of money you have to pay is tiny compared to the services actual value.

Well it's new games at a discount or old games for free.

With the 2015 versions coming out what better way to hook customers than offer the 14 versions now maybe 2 months before they are out of date.

If you don't own many EA games already then initially it's a good deal but the limited timed early access is to try and get you to buy digitally.

Say the game is £55 RRP then it's £50 digitally for as long as you subscribe to the service with no trade in value.

EA don't have the most extensive list of games nor are they well known for treating gamers well so this is probably why a lot of us are a bit cautious over what looks at first glance like a good deal.

I will watch this from afar with interest.

Ciel

See-Elle
EA also does not make a lot of money the subsequent year from previous sports titles because their past sports games are of absolutely no value. A year later if people are buying last year's sports titles odds are they are used. Obviously EA does not see any money from these sales and more importantly for the consumer, these games are greatly discounted. I have spoken with a lot of customers who do not want to buy the new Madden or FIFA or whatever because they buy it a year later when it is cheap.

This streaming model should, they hope, bring them in cash from used game sales--the money they do not see. Bottom line is they will be making more money than they were before because more people will sub to the service then go out and buy used.

kozluk

Hilarious...

EA also does not make a lot of money the subsequent year from previous sports titles because their past sports games are of absolutely no value. A year later if people are buying last year's sports titles odds are they are used. Obviously EA does not see any money from these sales and more importantly for the consumer, these games are greatly discounted. I have spoken with a lot of customers who do not want to buy the new Madden or FIFA or whatever because they buy it a year later when it is cheap.

This streaming model should, they hope, bring them in cash from used game sales--the money they do not see. Bottom line is they will be making more money than they were before because more people will sub to the service then go out and buy used.

One app doesn't just suddenly mean Microsoft have changed their tune. Yes its a good app and a step in the right direction, and in my original post I stated I had taken up the offer as I buy a lot of EA games. But please tell me what other great features or exclusive games Microsoft are offering the gaming community atm? The only two that are worth a mention are Titanfall and Ryse: Son of Rome, both of which were cool games but soon got boring.

I just returned to the PlayStation after years away, mainly because I am unhappy with what how Microsoft are handling the situation. If you find that hilarious that's your prerogative.

daimashin

I agree with what Sony did this time regardless of their reason. I don't like the idea of needing to have multiple subscriptions for one console even if they're optional. If what EA does right now works out, others are bound to follow, and we'll find ourselves with ten subscriptions on top of Plus subscription we already have now. Also, separate subscriptions means that games from that publisher will no longer be offered as free games on Instant Games Collection and this will significantly diminish the value of PS Plus.

$5 a month or $30 a year for old games from one publisher is not good value to me. Unless I'm not buying another EA game new ever again, I find it hard to get my money's worth off of the other games I don't care about.