• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Sold my PS4 - games industry has gone lame

jeffnz

I'd rather make my own games so you'll find me on gamedev Y-dot-Z net with my many, many problems involving Microsoft Visual Studio and libsdl. Of course I should just use Blitz Max but I can't put Blitz on a resume/CV so I keep trying with C++. I'm interested to see what Haemimont Games does with Tropico 6* and I'm also following Hideo Kojima and his new studio. The only other interest of mine is Grand Ages: Medieval which I might buy for PC now that I've got Windows 10.

*in development

Alex_68

I'd rather make my own games so you'll find me on gamedev Y-dot-Z net with my many, many problems involving Microsoft Visual Studio and libsdl. Of course I should just use Blitz Max but I can't put Blitz on a resume/CV so I keep trying with C++. I'm interested to see what Haemimont Games does with Tropico 6* and I'm also following Hideo Kojima and his new studio. The only other interest of mine is Grand Ages: Medieval which I might buy for PC now that I've got Windows 10.

*in development

Hi Jeff,

I respect your decision but I don't understand it, to be honest. The PS4 has some very good games, ready to play with no troubles nor efforts... -]

jeffnz

Metal Gear 5: The Phantom Pain is an example of what I don't like in gaming. It's a really good game but I could tell they cut out content on "chapter 2" and the missions at the end were hastily thrown together (the politics of publishers).

Everything is biased towards a multiplayer gaming experience and that bugs me too. If I have money for PSN it's because I'm working 50 hours a week, but then I barely have time to play. If I'm unemployed then I have the time but not the money.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
Metal Gear 5: The Phantom Pain is an example of what I don't like in gaming. It's a really good game but I could tell they cut out content on "chapter 2" and the missions at the end were hastily thrown together (the politics of publishers).

Everything is biased towards a multiplayer gaming experience and that bugs me too. If I have money for PSN it's because I'm working 50 hours a week, but then I barely have time to play. If I'm unemployed then I have the time but not the money.

I think you just summed up my personal frustrations with modern games (well in this generation) which is one reason I have so few games on my PS4 shelf (I have over 30 PS3 games and way more with PS2 and PSX). Problem is exactly what you see with MGSV. Now, I love the game so much. I think it is a fine example of game development. But knowing and following Kojima for so many years, playing his games and knowing how he produces games, you can tell the politics involved during MGS:V's development. Hell, there was even a chapter missing from the game that tied up the story of Liquid and the Sahelanthropus that I had to get resolution to on YouTube. In addition to that, if you follow the tumultuous history with Kojima and Konami in the last couple years, it's evident they were making a game for a too broad of an audience and not for the fans of the series.

And I agree too about multiplayer. That's also a reason I have so few new games. I'm a single player person and I always buy rich single player games like Mass Effect, Uncharted, etc. That seems to be lacking to a degree this generation and even single player games have a huge emphasis on multiplayer.

Alex_68

I think you just summed up my personal frustrations with modern games

So are you going to get rid of your PS too? :cool:

I also agree on the "multiplayer only" tendence: it bothers me and I am not buying new games for this reason. I have Star Wars BF only because my daughter likes to play it, but she is only 14 and I notice that the new generations of youngs simply love to play in MP mode. We belong to the past, guys...

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
So are you going to get rid of your PS too? :cool:

I also agree on the "multiplayer only" tendence: it bothers me and I am not buying new games for this reason. I have Star Wars BF only because my daughter likes to play it, but she is only 14 and I notice that the new generations of youngs simply love to play in MP mode. We belong to the past, guys...

Haha. No. Not getting rid of it. Plus I'm moving into an apartment soon and need it for Vue :) Because screw 120 bucks for a cable package, lol. I do need to hit up GameStop and pick up some used games. There are good single player games but they are lacking.

I haven't played Battlefront since about Christmas. Maybe a bit after. Got too repetitive too quickly.

I have not found a shortage of single player games for the PS4, but it does come down to taste. Never been a fan of the metal gear games. I do love the Assassins Creed games, and the 3 for PS4 are very fun, especially Black Flag and Syndicate. Games like GTA V keep me going back and have even. I played Battlefront for a bit, and found I could generally hold my own, well at least be middle of the pack. Not a fan of online multiplayer, would much rather have a good story mode. I was looking forward to Rainbow Six Siege till I read that it is all pretty much online. I really enjoyed the previous games and the story mode, was some of my favourite shooting games as it involved a bit more tactical actions then just straight bang bang. Same goes for the Division, love the idea of it but just not interested in that online play, I prefer a good solo offline story in an open world.

jeffnz

Besides multiplayer there is another stupid trend: the re-mastering of old games. Sony has made huge profits by selling games that people used to own, and now somebody got the intellectual property rights to Battle Zone, so some folks are remaking that 1997 hover tank RTS/FPS hybrid. Back to the original point, about us being "old" for liking single player... there is hope. Perhaps if we want single player we'd be better off not buying consoles and instead playing on PC/Mac/Linux. Consoles are a highly controlled platform they're bound to eventually suck - the upgrades are more annoying, you need to replace the entire thing, not just a CPU/GPU chip. I'm in favour of PC gaming. Especially because you can lower graphics quality to make things run better. It gives you more wriggle room with what can be run.

I don't want to waste my life with games and I'm quite happy just to own one or two games. Lately I've got into Command & Conquer 3 and it has a good enough campaign. I was surprised. Games for me are little more than a time killer these days.

jeffnz

If the game becomes less popular and people move on, it'll have to close. Then again aren't the servers directly maintained by Sony, through PSN subscriptions? If that's the case it may drag out for several years.

Alex_68

If the game becomes less popular and people move on, it'll have to close. Then again aren't the servers directly maintained by Sony, through PSN subscriptions? If that's the case it may drag out for several years.

I still play AC Black Flag in MP mode sometimes. The game isn't popular anymore because it is 4-5 years old but the server still works. And I see no reason why it should close since I have the game and I want to keep on using it...

I might be wrong but, I think that if a server closes when the game becomes less popular, I bet the producers would see a huge profit loss, expecially now that games are multiplayer based.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
I still play AC Black Flag in MP mode sometimes. The game isn't popular anymore because it is 4-5 years old but the server still works. And I see no reason why it should close since I have the game and I want to keep on using it...

I might be wrong but, I think that if a server closes when the game becomes less popular, I bet the producers would see a huge profit loss, expecially now that games are multiplayer based.

That is correct. They shut servers when the game is no longer popular. I forget which game it was (I think one of the Final Fantasy's) but it was on PS2 and the server just shut down within the last few weeks. Most PS2 games went offline only a year or two ago when GameSpy was sold. The only PS3 game that I know of that is no longer online is MAG, but they shut that to free the servers for another project. Man that was a fun game. Wish it was still up :(

schoat333

I'm torn on this. I was always a single player fan. My Favorite game series has been Zelda for a long time. Also loved the Soul Reaver series back in the OG PS days.

With that said, I am now hooked on Destiny. I played it completely solo for about 4 months. I got sick of not being able to do the end game so I joined a clan. Needless to say, I am having more fun in that game than ever because of the people I play with. Even with the content lacking right now, we have fun. I wouldn't be playing the game anymore if I was playing solo.

Last edited:

jeffnz

Not related to PS4 but: I bought Command & Conquer 3 for PC a few weeks ago. It was $17 NZD and it runs on my AMD A-10 APU. Unfortunately if you buy it off Steam or Origin they force you to get the latest patch version which ruins the campaign. They made heaps of changes to unit balance but that isn't the problem, the issue is with the AI being too aggressive and cheating. I beat the GDI campaign on normal, I beat all of the NOD campaign on normal with the exception of the final mission. Now I try the scrin (alien) campaign and I can't pass the first mission on easy. Others complain about this too. The changes to AI ruin the campaign. Plus the FMV scenes are all pixel-ated they look awful. There is no way to reverse this unless you're lucky enough to own the retail copy on DVD. I actually downloaded Red Alert (1996) and I'm playing that instead - it offers the same thrill, just with older graphics and a worse user interface.