• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Should Microsoft Sell Xbox?

DrRipley

One of the candidates for the upcoming CEO position at Microsoft suggested that he would want to sell Xbox and scrap Bing if he gets the job. Do you guys think this would be a good choice for Microsoft if ever it did happen? Who should buy Xbox then if it does?

Microsoft CEO candidate Stephen Elop said to consider selling Xbox business, killing Bing

Microsoft is currently searching for a new CEO to replace Steve Ballmer, who plans to retire within the next 10 months. Recent reports suggest the company has shortlisted Ford CEO Alan Mulally and former Nokia CEO Stephen Elop as external candidates. Mulally has stated he has no intentions to leave Ford, but a Bloomberg report claims that Elop has big plans if he’s made CEO. After a brief stint as the head of Microsoft’s business division, responsible for Office and other products, Elop’s return to Microsoft in the CEO position would reportedly involve a push for Office on Android and iOS.

Dmadman72

I Shall Finish The Game
I can't see that happening. Even though the the developers of the XBOX one don't seem to have a clue doing stupid things like forgetting the world outside of the USA does not care about NFL/NBA and the fact that everyone already has a remote for their TV's. Even IF a possible future CEO is to stupid to see that even if they loose money on the consoles themselves, They more then make it back through LIVE and advertising. It is still a publicly held company and something this big would require a vote.

That being said IF XBOX was to sell Sony and Nintendo would be fools to pass it up. The company I would love to see buy it and raise from the ashes would be SEGA.

As for bing, I never use it.

SpiralArchitect

XBox is a proven commodity even if the One is struggling. It would be stupid of them to sell it off already.

As for Bing, I am surprised they haven't done it already.

corporatenoun

That's not something I can see happening. Who would have the money and want to buy it and have the resources to continue it at the highest quality? Not much comes to mind.

JoshSmith100

I do not sell Microsoft selling Xbox and I do not think its a great idea either. Even if the Xbox is struggling some, its a established gaming community pretty much. There is far too much value in owning a top 2 gaming console to sell it.

JoanMcWench

Banned
I doubt they will sell BUT I feel like their focus is not where it should be concerning gaming in general. They could have easily used the pool of skilled knowledgeable players to run some of these ideas through before bad publicity hit their windshield. Seems like they used a collection of yes men who were more interested in making money than a fan base. Microsoft has a lot of things on its plate generally so perhaps it is time to pass the torch to someone willing to dedicate the time.

mauricioq

It's very unlikely.
Xbox is very popular and so it is lucrative too, why would they want to do this?
If the new CEO really wants to sell it, it won't be a smart move in my opinion.

SpiralArchitect

That's not something I can see happening. Who would have the money and want to buy it and have the resources to continue it at the highest quality? Not much comes to mind.

Well to be fair there are a lot of electronics companies out there with the resources of this sort. The only question is of desire. I wouldn't even be surprised if Sony buys it off, to get rid of one of their major competitors.

But that's all moot, I don't think XBox will be sold.

Dame6089

I can't see much of reason for them to sell XBox. Unless somebody is willing to pay well above the market rate for the company, I can't see them selling XBox unless it completely tanks this gen. And by tanks, I mean really tanks to the level that they lose money

Dark Septagon

The Tru7h is Darker
Even if the Xbox One is a complete failure there will always be blind fanboys willing to buy the console, buy a bunch of games, spend money on the subscription, and blow money on avatar and dlc items. I don't think Microsoft would ever let go of Xbox

SpiralArchitect

Even if the Xbox One is a complete failure there will always be blind fanboys willing to buy the console, buy a bunch of games, spend money on the subscription, and blow money on avatar and dlc items. I don't think Microsoft would ever let go of Xbox

The weird thing is that while it isn't matching up to the PS4's numbers, X1 is still selling enough for it to not be considered an outright failure. Heck its actually sold out at a few online outlets from what I hear. This would make the idea of Microsoft selling it even weirder.

Gamer_Fries

As much as I do not really care personally for the Xbox I can not see Microsoft selling it seeing that as stated above it still brings in quite a bit of money and is probably more worth it to just keep the dang thing then to auction it to the highest bidder like Sony or Nintendo which would lead to one probably taking an incredible lead.

DrRipley

Just an update, guys. Apparently, even the existing co-founder agrees. I personally think this is a sign that Xbox looks to be in a lot worse shape/situation than we realize. Correct me if I'm wrong. Here's the article:

_-Calls-Mount-for-Microsoft-to-Sell-Off-Xbox-Business-_.jpg

Calls Mount for Microsoft to Sell Off Xbox Business
Paul Allen now taking against the business

The majority of Microsoft's profits come from software and services such as Office and operating systems. Mr Allen believes that, "The search business and even Xbox, which has been a very successful product, are detracting from that. We would want them to focus on their best competencies."

“My view is there are some parts of that operation they should probably spin out, get rid of, to focus on the enterprise and focus on the cloud.”

Ghost_of_Crash

I don't see Microsoft selling off Xbox. Of course if they did, I'd like to see Sega snatch it up and turn it into a more international console. As Dmadman72 said, the world outside the US doesn't care about NFL/NBA and are probably indifferent to Doritos and Mountain Dew.

SpaceTiger

I don't think Microsoft should sell Xbox, but I can see it happening 40/60 (will/won't). While the Xbox 360 was making some money, it wasn't making enough and the loses that Xbox, Bing, and some other stuff were generating were offset mostly by royalties from Google. Ballmer doesn't want it sold off, but if you have a busted wheel either you try to fix it, hope it doesn't fall off, or ditch it and just get a unicycle.

Oh and Bing is only good for collecting Bing Reward points and spending them on Amazon cards, Hulu Plus, or whatever. That's it.

Thrix

Why would they do that? I believe Microsoft has enough money and are making even more with xBox related products.
But that surely could be interesting to see? Which way do you think it's direction would go?

SpiralArchitect

I get a feeling that instead of selling it off Paul Allen was probably looking at streamlining the business a bit. Who knows he might as well decide to focus only on the gaming aspect of XBox in the future.

firelily99

Given how hot the competition is I would not be surprised. Still, I think what they should do is figure out ways to make themselves competitive in that market and improve the merchandise.

latoya0511

XBox is a proven commodity even if the One is struggling. It would be stupid of them to sell it off already.

As for Bing, I am surprised they haven't done it already.

I agree nobody really uses bing, well not anyone that i know. Xbox has not been doing great with the xbox one but this is the first time they failed in my opinion. I feel they need to go back to the drawing board. I highly doubt they would sell it. I hope they dont its a little too early for that.

Ciel

See-Elle
Given that the gaming industry is huge and brings forth incredible profit and money and goodies and happy faces, it would be incredibly stupid for M$ to sell Xbox.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements