• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Screen flickering static with ps4

blackdoom

So I've suddenly started having a problem with the connection of my ps4 to the tv. The screen just constantly flickers static, mostly on the lower half of the screen but occasionally it also goes higher up. I have tried to change the screen resolution, 720p and 1080p are the worst whilst the 1080i either occasionally flickers or is almost as bad as the others (the audio pops too). Changing the HDR, Deep colour output and RGB range does nothing. 480p is fine and also turning HDCP off fixes it but i need that on for a lot of applications. Also using a different hdmi cable doesnt do anything and using an xbox on the same tv is fine so it must be the ps4. Please any help would be appreciated as this is just ridiculous and makes my ps4 basically unusuable! Also would sony replace this or fix it for free if its something in the ps4?
Thank you!

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
So I've suddenly started having a problem with the connection of my ps4 to the tv. The screen just constantly flickers static, mostly on the lower half of the screen but occasionally it also goes higher up. I have tried to change the screen resolution, 720p and 1080p are the worst whilst the 1080i either occasionally flickers or is almost as bad as the others (the audio pops too). Changing the HDR, Deep colour output and RGB range does nothing. 480p is fine and also turning HDCP off fixes it but i need that on for a lot of applications. Also using a different hdmi cable doesnt do anything and using an xbox on the same tv is fine so it must be the ps4. Please any help would be appreciated as this is just ridiculous and makes my ps4 basically unusuable! Also would sony replace this or fix it for free if its something in the ps4?
Thank you!
First thing you need to do is figure out if it's the PS4 or not. You did everything right so far except check it on another TV. Hook it up to another TV with the same settings that's causing the flickering to see if it's the console or the TV. Something obviously isn't communicating right. Just because the Xbox is working doesn't necessarily mean the PS4 is to blame. It could still be the TV. Try that first and get back to us. If it is the PS4 and your console is under warranty, you can call Sony and see if they can do warranty. They'll replace it with a refurbished model if it's under warranty and they find it's at fault. If you're out of warranty, you are SOL or you can send it to a repair shop for repair.

Also, couple other questions. Is your console updated to the latest firmware? How old is the TV? Is the HDMI cable plugged directly into the TV or is it routed through something like a switch or a sound system?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D PS3 to PS4 Causing Screen Flickering on a TCL Roku 55" 4k (model 6102X) PlayStation 4 0
Preach2k PLAYSTATION 5 Dev Kit Demo | PS5 Graphics | PS5 Home Screen Reveal | AMAZING! PlayStation 5 0
I PSVR headset shows only a static screen PlayStation VR 1
L TV&video/all apps screen blank PlayStation 4 0
P New Screen - gaming monitor or Ps Vr PlayStation 4 4
F Cool or Useless -- Second Screen gaming accessory PlayStation 4 13
G Split screen games ? PlayStation 4 7
P Split Screen! PlayStation 4 1
G On PS$ home screen...still died PlayStation 4 1
E Problem with Playstation on welcome screen too big please help. PlayStation 4 3
J ps4 crashes and weird screen PlayStation 4 1
J PS4 Wont pass blue screen. PlayStation 4 5
S Problem with trophys screen - PS Vita PlayStation Vita 3
Smoggie12252013 PS4's home screen settings PlayStation 4 2
Sekelani Crazy lag when switching applications on home screen PlayStation 4 2
Haze Off-screen gameplay footage PlayStation 4 2
deathbyprayer The PS1 loading screen of death.. PlayStation Legacy 13
J After pressing start, goes back to home screen. PlayStation 4 0
O Black screen PlayStation 4 4
sidd230 End of split screen? PlayStation 4 3
J Split Screen Microphones PlayStation 4 4
onison Screen Shot Captions Forum Games 4
J Screen Tearing AC4 PlayStation 4 12
G Screen tearing enough, advice please PlayStation 4 5
Z My audio comes in and out, screen is black, and white light flashes on screen. PlayStation 4 1
B Hey guys, after installing update my TV screen is black, PS4 light is white, 30 min PlayStation 4 6
OniBlackMage Second Screen experiences PlayStation 4 2

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!