• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Rate the last PS3 game you played

Cpt Blackadder

for £2.39 fella you really can't go wrong with this one. I wasn't expecting much but i got a whole load more enjoyment than i possibly thought i would. They DID tease us in 2009 with a Beyond Good and Evil 2 gameplay trailer. Having played this, i REALLY can't understand why they never made a full PS3/360 game as if it would have been anything like this PS2 game, it would have been BRILLIANT!

Haze

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 7/10

My technically first MGS game (I gave MGS4 a try about 4 years ago but was absolutely lost) and I did quite enjoy it. I tried it out when it was first released and didn't get into it because I am terrible at stealth games. This time, however, I went pretty well. Alerted a few enemies but managed to get a "B" ranking and done it in 94 minutes. Hey it might not sound like I did well, but I gotta start somewhere. Might even give it another go and try out the side-missions.

sidd230

I have been exploring space with kerbal space program. So much to do! So many rapid unplanned disassemblies!

Haze

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD - 9.5/10

Absolutely one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. I literally could not stop playing this from the moment I started it. It took me a while to finish (18 and a bit hours) but I call that a great time! Had always been wanting to get into this series and it took me a few tries (first couple times were unsuccessful as I was a different type of gamer back then lol) but I am so glad I tried it again because it paid off big time! Story had me intrigued from start to finish.

Now the only decision I need to make is whether to play MGS2: Sons of Liberty HD next or Peace Walker HD. I know chronologically Peace Walker comes after Snake Eater, but I've been very interested in Sons of Liberty. I'd just be afraid I'd get lost story-wise lol.

RobDaCool

Finally after owning it since launch, I'm playing Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. And I have to say I am have a good old fun time with it. Sure it has it's problems like the usual enemies have unlimited ammo, you have to shoot a human twenty times to kill them etc. and guys who've been stranded on an island and haven't seen a woman in ten years tries to kill said woman on sight lol

I'd give it an 8.5/10

Just noticed this was the PS3 forum lol ah well it's out on the PS3 also, just the regular edition lol

Last edited:

Haze

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD - 5/10

Oh man. I so wanted to like this. And in a way I did. The controls were much better then Snake Eater, I give it that. But it really took me out of the experience by making it basically 30+ mini-missions with even more side-missions (Extra Ops). The story wasn't nearly as good as Snake Eater. But maybe I'm at fault because I started my journey into MGS with the widely regarded best game of the series. Another thing that annoyed me was all the requirements just to reach the end of Chapter 5! It seems I hated this game, but there was some good. Controls as I've already mentioned, Co-op was great especially with Boss battles and come on - playing as Snake is just fantastic!

Next up for me is the original MGS :D

The Unlosing Ranger

Mighty Strike-Out Slugger
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD - 5/10

Oh man. I so wanted to like this. And in a way I did. The controls were much better then Snake Eater, I give it that. But it really took me out of the experience by making it basically 30+ mini-missions with even more side-missions (Extra Ops). The story wasn't nearly as good as Snake Eater. But maybe I'm at fault because I started my journey into MGS with the widely regarded best game of the series. Another thing that annoyed me was all the requirements just to reach the end of Chapter 5! It seems I hated this game, but there was some good. Controls as I've already mentioned, Co-op was great especially with Boss battles and come on - playing as Snake is just fantastic!

Next up for me is the original MGS :D

Ow, that's kinda sad to hear. To I think the problem is that Peace Walker is just very different from the other MGS games, really. It's more like a Monster Hunter type of game, which is probably why it failed to become the official MGS5 (I think Kojima had planned for it to be MGS5, at least). It's just a big departure from the MGS we all know and love. I have come to terms with that, but I haven't played the game yet. I think I will enjoy it a lot more if I go into it expecting something drastically different from all the other MGS games, though.

Related, I just played through the main mission in Ground Zeroes (PS3). Now, I mostly rushed it and skipped most cutscenes, since I plan on really diving into it only after I have replayed the rest of the series, but I gotta say it's a fantastic little game. I'm gonna save on doing a proper little review of it until I have actually spent more time with it, but I just wanted to mention that it's definitely looking great, while we're on the subject of MGS. At the very least, I'm now extremely hyped for The Phantom Pain.

Haze

Ow, that's kinda sad to hear. To I think the problem is that Peace Walker is just very different from the other MGS games, really. It's more like a Monster Hunter type of game, which is probably why it failed to become the official MGS5 (I think Kojima had planned for it to be MGS5, at least). It's just a big departure from the MGS we all know and love. I have come to terms with that, but I haven't played the game yet. I think I will enjoy it a lot more if I go into it expecting something drastically different from all the other MGS games, though.

Related, I just played through the main mission in Ground Zeroes (PS3). Now, I mostly rushed it and skipped most cutscenes, since I plan on really diving into it only after I have replayed the rest of the series, but I gotta say it's a fantastic little game. I'm gonna save on doing a proper little review of it until I have actually spent more time with it, but I just wanted to mention that it's definitely looking great, while we're on the subject of MGS. At the very least, I'm now extremely hyped for The Phantom Pain.

Yeah it wasn't really what I was expecting. I just wanted more story related to Big Boss. Didn't expect to have to do everything else but that's ok. I got through it and completed it. Just time to move on...

Glad you liked Ground Zeroes. It really is a great little "tease" to The Phantom Pain. I played it on the PS3 but am actually considering picking it up for the PS4 as I have heard it looks very superior compared to the PS3 version.

Haze

Yeah it wasn't really what I was expecting. I just wanted more story related to Big Boss. Didn't expect to have to do everything else but that's ok. I got through it and completed it. Just time to move on...

I kind of have to go back on my word here and give Peace Walker a 6.5/10 as I've found myself playing it more and more after completing the story and am actually enjoying it post-campaign. Anyways...

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 -10/10 - Will always be in my top 5 games of all time and I loved playing it couple years later. Played it obsessively on the 360 about 3-4 years ago, but picked it up again as it took me back to some good times. Campaign is short and sweet and the online multiplayer is among the best I've ever played even to this day. Even managed to obtain the Platinum trophy for this game too so double sweet.

The Unlosing Ranger

Glad you liked Ground Zeroes. It really is a great little "tease" to The Phantom Pain. I played it on the PS3 but am actually considering picking it up for the PS4 as I have heard it looks very superior compared to the PS3 version.

It sure is, got me all hyped up. I wasn't really hyped before, but now... really want TPP soon. Ground Zeroes is already good (gameplay-wise) and it definitely looks like TPP will have some improvements even in that, like bringing back the ability to knock on walls (which will be ridiculous when mixed with the corner CQC skills) and base-building elements.

I've seen comparisons of PS3 and PS4 and I'm actually amazed at how well the PS3 version holds in comparison to the PS4 version. Sure the PS4 version is superior looking (the textures and framerate, specially) but I didn't think they would be so fairly close. I guess the game is targetting both so it's limited to making both versions similar enough. I wonder what the FOX Engine is capable of for next-gen exclusives.

Haze

It sure is, got me all hyped up. I wasn't really hyped before, but now... really want TPP soon. Ground Zeroes is already good (gameplay-wise) and it definitely looks like TPP will have some improvements even in that, like bringing back the ability to knock on walls (which will be ridiculous when mixed with the corner CQC skills) and base-building elements.

I've seen comparisons of PS3 and PS4 and I'm actually amazed at how well the PS3 version holds in comparison to the PS4 version. Sure the PS4 version is superior looking (the textures and framerate, specially) but I didn't think they would be so fairly close. I guess the game is targetting both so it's limited to making both versions similar enough. I wonder what the FOX Engine is capable of for next-gen exclusives.

I just wish they would give us a release date for MGSV already!!

InTheNation

Spec Ops: The Line - 8/10

I picked it up at a huge discount at Gamestop and expected a super generic shooter somewhere in between Modern Warfare and Gears of War. Gameplay-wise, that's exactly what I got. There's no surprises at all here, it plays just like Gears of War with the same controls, but set in Dubai with some pretty environments.

What really shines through is the story and the themes it handles. Before long, you're not fighting faceless Arab rebels anymore, you're up against American soldiers as your mission objectives change (or at least, your perception and interpretation of them). But does it really matter? You're just playing a shooter on rails, not really any more free than those shooting games at the arcade with the plastic guns. In the end you're just doing whatever the game tells you to do because, well, it just told you to do it.

deathbyprayer

Last game I played was Assassin's Creed Liberation HD. The game was a lot of fun in the end, has a lot of potential to be a rather awesome addition to the AC franchise but fails to capture the essence of an action game. Most of the missions are down right boring (there's a mission where you have to go to a store. That's it.) and the overall experience for each mission feels too confined and lacking of the intended action or stealth aspect, it feels more like an interactive DVD rather than a game. But the overall the game was still pretty good. I give it a 6.5/10.

The Unlosing Ranger

I just wish they would give us a release date for MGSV already!!

Well, speculation is a 9/8/2014 release date, based on the E3 2014 trailer saying "COMING 1984". Though obviously that might just be a cheeky joke based on the year that TPP takes place in. Seems unlikely, too soon.

Anyway, I've been playing a lot of Ground Zeroes (I didn't expect to!) so I think I should do it some justice and write a semi-review for it...

So, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS3). This is a fantastic game, to be honest. It's the most fun Metal Gear has ever been to play, in my opinion, since it's a fantastic blend of old-school MGS elements combined with some more modern gameplay elements. Big Boss is a beast to play as this time around and many actions such as dragging bodies feel so much more fast this time around that I actually found myself doing it a lot, unlike in previous games in which I didn't bother much. Similarly, nearly useless things like binoculars and directional microphones are now much more useful. Particularly, binoculars now include a directional mic and they allow you to mark enemies, which allows you to see them through walls (there's an icon over their head but you can also see their outline while you're stationary). Other actions like the new dive are fantastic. You can drive vehicles, turn off the power, lure guards with magazines, etc, etc. There's a lot of options for stealth and combat.

The graphics are also fantastic. While the PS3 version is not as great as its PS4 cousin, it still looks beautiful. I am actually amazed at how great the game looks, particularly due to some great dramatic lighting. The weather effects shown in Ground Zeroes fantastic, especially the rain shown during the main mission (called Ground Zeroes, yes). All of the ops are set in the same area sadly but I think this gave them a great chance to show just how much a single area can vary due to weather and time of the day. Weather and time will definitely affect how players take on operations in The Phantom Pain, since it varies a lot.

All that said, Ground Zeroes just doesn't have much content. While I do admit I've played a lot (around 10 hours already!?), this is mostly because I find the fantastic gameplay to be a lot of fun to mess with so it's the first time I find myself actually bothering trying to get S Ranks in the missions. But there really isn't much content if you plan to just do them once. There's the main Ground Zeroes mission, which offers a few story tidbits to set the events of The Phantom Pain in motion. Despite not having much story content, there are still some great moments.

Other than Ground Zeroes, there's about 5 side ops and 2 extra ops (the Deja Vu and Jamais Vu missions). All of these side and extra ops take place in the same area as Ground Zeroes, Camp Omega. They have a lot differences in enemy placement and they show off different weather and time effects, but it's still the same layout. This also means that these side ops are most likely not canon or partially canon at most (as in, the missions might be real but were not set in Camp Omega), with the obvious exception of Deja Vu and Jamais Vu which are non-canon silly missions referencing MGS1 (Deja Vu) and Metal Gear Rising (Jamais Vu). It ultimately feels like just a demo for The Phantom Pain, which is what I was expecting.

There's some unlockables, but it's mostly stuff for the companion app for Android and iOS (which has a Mother Base simulation, it's pretty decent) and some music you can listen to or set for the helicopter to play when it's called. Apparently GZ saves will carry over into The Phantom Pain, but we don't know what will carry over, so it kind of makes trying for higher ranks and trials to feel slightly pointless at times...

I didn't expect to write a long review like I did, but whatever. My verdict is 8.5/10 and my hype for MGSV: TPP is now at dangerous levels.

TL;DR: Gameplay is excellent. Story content is good. Graphics are great. But not enough actual content makes it feel like a demo for The Phantom Pain. 8.5/10

Last edited:

Haze

Well, speculation is a 9/8/2014 release date, based on the E3 2014 trailer saying "COMING 1984". Though obviously that might just be a cheeky joke based on the year that TPP takes place in.

Anyway, I've been playing a lot of Ground Zeroes (I didn't expect to!) so I think I should do it some justice and write a semi-review for it...

So, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS3). This is a fantastic game, to be honest. It's the most fun Metal Gear has ever been to play, in my opinion, since it's a fantastic blend of old-school MGS elements combined with some more modern gameplay elements. Big Boss is a beast to play as this time around and many actions such as dragging bodies feel so much more fast this time around that I actually found myself doing it a lot, unlike in previous games in which I didn't bother much. Similarly, nearly useless things like binoculars and directional microphones are now much more useful. Particularly, binoculars now include a directional mic and they allow you to mark enemies, which allows you to see them through walls (there's an icon over their head but you can also see their outline while you're stationary). Other actions like the new dive are fantastic. You can drive vehicles, turn off the power, lure guards with magazines, etc, etc. There's a lot of options for stealth and combat.

The graphics are also fantastic. While the PS3 version is not as great as its PS4 cousin, it still looks beautiful. I am actually amazed at how great the game looks, particularly due to some great dramatic lighting. The weather effects shown in Ground Zeroes fantastic, especially the rain shown during the main mission (called Ground Zeroes, yes). All of the ops are set in the same area sadly but I think this gave them a great chance to show just how much a single area can vary due to weather and time of the day. Weather and time will definitely affect how players take on operations in The Phantom Pain, since it varies a lot.

All that said, Ground Zeroes just doesn't have much content. While I do admit I've played a lot (around 10 hours already!?), this is mostly because I find the fantastic gameplay to be a lot of fun to mess with so it's the first time I find myself actually bothering trying to get S Ranks in the missions. But there really isn't much content if you plan to just do them once. There's the main Ground Zeroes mission, which offers a few story tidbits to set the events of The Phantom Pain in motion. Despite not having much story content, there are still some great moments.

Other than Ground Zeroes, there's about 5 side ops and 2 extra ops (the Deja Vu and Jamais Vu missions). All of these side and extra ops take place in the same area as Ground Zeroes, Camp Omega. They have a lot differences in enemy placement and they show off different weather and time effects, but it's still the same layout. This also means that these side ops are most likely not canon or partially canon at most (as in, the missions might be real but were not set in Camp Omega), with the obvious exception of Deja Vu and Jamais Vu which are non-canon silly missions referencing MGS1 (Deja Vu) and Metal Gear Rising (Jamais Vu). It ultimately feels like just a demo for The Phantom Pain, which is what I was expecting.

There's some unlockables, but it's mostly stuff for the companion app for Android and iOS (which has a Mother Base simulation, it's pretty decent) and some music you can listen to or set for the helicopter to play when it's called. Apparently GZ saves will carry over into The Phantom Pain, but we don't know what will carry over, so it kind of makes trying for higher ranks and trials to feel slightly pointless at times...

I didn't expect to write a long review like I did, but whatever. My verdict is 8.5/10 and my hype for MGSV: TPP is now at dangerous levels.

TL;DR: Gameplay is excellent. Story content is good. Graphics are great. But not enough actual content makes it feel like a demo for The Phantom Pain. 8.5/10

Great review. Pretty much my exact thoughts on this game!

insertkittyface

The Last of Us, 10/10.

Definitely one of the best games I've ever played, I liked the combat style and also the story was absolutely amazing. Not gonna lie, it made me cry a little (Or, ya know, a lot...)

RPCOM

The last game I finished was Sleeping Dogs. It is a great game. I'd rate it 8/10.

The game has a great story. The fighting mechanism is great and the open world has a lot of life. The only issues I had with the game were the bad driving handling and the DLCs which were too short and not so interesting. If you haven't played it yet, I suggest waiting for the Definitive Edition if you don't mind waiting. The Definitive Edition will feature all the DLCs and will have improved graphics.

Sly14Cat

I don't even remember the last game I played really. I'll list what I can remember though:
Minecraft - 9/10 (I've never finished it but whatever). Especially with the new update coming out you can do pretty much anything. Two things to remember, the community generally sucks and the rendering engine isn't optimized

Garry's Mod - 9/10. This game lets you do pretty much anything as long as you're willing to put a bit of time into it. I absolutely love sandbox type games.

wowtgp

I haven't been playing much lately. The last game I played was The Walking Dead Episode 4. It was the slowest episode, but still a solid one. I hope that the final episode is better than this one in terms of action. Anyways, I am going to give it an eight.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements