• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS5 Turning On By Itself

rebelliouslegacy

Okay, I started having this issue about two days ago. I woke up Tuesday morning and my PS5 was on and in rest mode, at first, I thought maybe I left it on by mistake and it just went into rest mode, no biggie. Well again I woke up during the middle of the night last night and it was on, I turned it off and went back to sleep. So it happened for a third time I was actually up to witness it. I heard the beep it makes when it turns on and I saw the lights flash before they turned blue. I had checked the internet and I found that it's a common bug that has not been addressed yet, I read an article saying to combat this issue until a fix is made is to turn off something with the HDMI, so I did but it turned on again as I stated before while I was awake. Want to know if anyone else is having this issue and have found a temporary solution for it until Sony addresses this issue. My solution as of right now is when I'm not using my PS5 or tv or I cut power to the extension it's plugged into until unless I'm using my TV then I just unplug the PS5 itself.

Last edited:

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
I haven't seen this yet. It might be happening while I'm asleep lol. I found my PS3 on in the morning a few days ago and I didn't turn it on. I was playing it and had the controller out. But I do have a cat so she might have hit a button on the controller to turn on the console. Who knows lol. Anywho, I'm getting sidetracked lol. I'd imagine the bug has something to do with the automatic updates. I know my PS3 and PS4 will turn on from rest mode to check/install updates. I set my PS5 to do that also. Maybe try shutting off that feature. Another thing you can try is just shut down the PS5 and not put it in rest mode. Either way, be patient. I'm sure it'll be fixed soon with a firmware update :) We're in the time where bugs are gonna be common because the PS5 is still so new so they're ironing out the software.

rebelliouslegacy

I figured out why my PS5 was turning on by itself, the Media Remote I have for it when I watch Blu-Rays or streaming service would turn on therefore turning on the PS5. So I took the batteries out and the PS5 hasn't turned on since. I might just disconnect it from the PS5 and reconnect it and see if the problem goes away and if not then I'll just have to take the batteries out when I'm not using it.

Reddy2play

I have the exact same thing, when I shut down my PS5 about 30 mins later it will turn itself back on in rest mode. Have checked all settings and no joy still does it. Best solution I found was just to turn it off at the plug which also creates an issue, I have some free time and think I’ll have a go of a game, sit down grab the pad, press the ps button and nothing and think what’s going on then remember I turned it off at the mains so have to get back up to turn mains on

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
I figured out why my PS5 was turning on by itself, the Media Remote I have for it when I watch Blu-Rays or streaming service would turn on therefore turning on the PS5. So I took the batteries out and the PS5 hasn't turned on since. I might just disconnect it from the PS5 and reconnect it and see if the problem goes away and if not then I'll just have to take the batteries out when I'm not using it.

How does the remote work? I was thinking about getting it so my PS5 would be my main entertainment hub (and give my PS4 a much needed break lol) but I feel like the remote isn't as useful as the PS4 media remote. The PS4 remote I can control my TV and such. The PS5 remote looks like a white Roku remote lol. Doesn't seem to have many capabilities except for streaming.

rebelliouslegacy

How does the remote work? I was thinking about getting it so my PS5 would be my main entertainment hub (and give my PS4 a much needed break lol) but I feel like the remote isn't as useful as the PS4 media remote. The PS4 remote I can control my TV and such. The PS5 remote looks like a white Roku remote lol. Doesn't seem to have many capabilities except for streaming.
Well, I only ever use mine for when I watch DVD/Blu-Ray and use Netflix and Disney+. It has a button on it that says TV but I looked it up and so far the only function for that button is turning on the paired TV other than that looks like the Media Remote only works for the PS5 when it comes to everything else. Not that I needed it, but hell I had the Media Remote for both the PS3 and the PS4 and honestly I don't like using the Dual Sense controller when it comes to just watching movies and Netflix...LOL

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
Well, I only ever use mine for when I watch DVD/Blu-Ray and use Netflix and Disney+. It has a button on it that says TV but I looked it up and so far the only function for that button is turning on the paired TV other than that looks like the Media Remote only works for the PS5 when it comes to everything else. Not that I needed it, but hell I had the Media Remote for both the PS3 and the PS4 and honestly I don't like using the Dual Sense controller when it comes to just watching movies and Netflix...LOL

I know what you mean. I have the remote for the PS3 and PS4. The one for the PS4 goes dead too quickly (why they used AAA batteries is beyond me lol) but I like how I can completely control my TV with it. Aside from the crap battery life it works very well. And the PS3 remote is just as good just not as capable. I dunno why Sony didn't continue on with remotes like that. I would have bought it by now lol. My PS4 is my whole entertainment hub and I don't particularly like constantly switching remotes. So for me, Sony missed the mark with the PS5 remote. It's fine if all you do is stream and don't mind using your TV remote too. But I just wish there was an option. Who knows. It's still early on in this console cycle. They could release something else too.

kbyrnes

I am having this problem too. I have sent the remote back twice and everytime it starts happening in about a month and happens multiple times a day. Now my warranty is expired. Any advice? None of them got wet or smashed. All I can do right now is take out the batteries.

rebelliouslegacy

I am having this problem too. I have sent the remote back twice and everytime it starts happening in about a month and happens multiple times a day. Now my warranty is expired. Any advice? None of them got wet or smashed. All I can do right now is take out the batteries.

Honestly, I haven't had a problem since my last post it doesn't turn on by itself anymore. I wanna say maybe an update fixed the issue but I don't have it anymore.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements