• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS5 storage

snikr

I've been reading the PS5 specs and it has been saying that it has 825 GB of storage. With my PS4 (500 GB of storage) I had to add external storage. Will that have to happen with the PS5 and at what cost?

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
I've been reading the PS5 specs and it has been saying that it has 825 GB of storage. With my PS4 (500 GB of storage) I had to add external storage. Will that have to happen with the PS5 and at what cost?
There's a caveat with that external drive option. It has to be certified by... Sony. So, in order for that drive to work with PS5, it would need Sony certification. Kinda like how Microsoft deals with software: It's not getting past Microsoft's certification, unless it is deemed as secure by Microsoft.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
I thought PS5 was coming with a minimum 1Terabite?
Close, but not quite. 825GB

Oh great. I'll bet that will be COSTLY. Why don't they just put in a bigger drive??
They want to target a nice price point. I'd rather they go all-out with the specs, than anything. I paid $600, close to launch of PS3. I don't mind spending the extra money, just give me a console that lasts a decade. I got my value out of that PS4.

Right now is a game of "chicken" for both Sony and Microsoft: Who's gonna reveal the price first, and who's gonna undercut.

snikr

I'm with you. I'd rather spend a bit more money and get something I don't have to "upgrade" in a few months. But Sony knows if the PS5 cost more than the Xbox sales might suffer. I guess we just can't win.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
Yes. I can guarantee it. But it's been like that since the PS3/360 generation. My PS3 I ran out of space after a few years and had to upgrade (2TB with that thing stores A LOT of stuff. And I'm still buying games for it!). My PS4 ran out of space quicker because 500 Gigs was a joke with the install sizes lol. Even with 2TB I'm almost full on that. And with how graphic intensive next gen games will be, the nearly 1TB the PS5 and Series X will use will fill up very quickly. Considering TLOU2 on PS4, when that installed, was nearly 100 gigs I think.

I've actually been telling people it's probably not going to be a good idea to try and save money and get the Digital Edition of the PS5. Only get it if you actually only buy digital games. If you do it to save money, I guarantee you will be spending more in the long term buying additional space. And those M.2 drives are not cheap (actually a little disappointed next gen went that route. Hard drives are so much more affordable. But I withhold judgement until I see performance :) ). Discs sometimes have smaller install sizes because it can load from the disk. Digital it saves on the drive everything that's on the disk. On the plus side, Sony makes it super easy to swap drives and the PS5 appears to be no different. Given MS's past, changing the drive on most Xboxes was always a pain in the ass. And I don't like how on the Series X, it seems if you want more space, you have to buy that SanDisk expansion. That certainly won't be cheap. Especially compared to an M.2 drive.

Sony and MS do that because of cost. To keep the consoles at the 299-399ish price point (going by past prices here :) ), they put in smaller drives. People would whine all over the internet if they put in a 2TB drive and then jack up the price another 100 bucks to compensate. Honestly, I'm fine with it. I can put in a brand of drive I trust instead of the mystery drive they put in from the cheapest vendor :) Also, I take the old drives from the consoles, put it in a cheap $5 Amazon hard drive enclosure, now I have basically a free external :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Preach2k Digital Foundry Confirm Massive PS5 Specs That Crushed Microsoft! Sony Did The Impossible! PlayStation 5 1
Preach2k PS5: It's Better Than You Think! PlayStation 5 0
Carlos Geoff Keighley goes hands on with PS5's controller PlayStation 5 0
T Question: Will my games bought on the PSN Store (ranging from Ps1 to Ps3) be compatible with PS5 PlayStation 5 2
Manveer A Man Playstation Home on PS5 PlayStation 5 6
Carlos PS5 Hardware Reveal Trailer PlayStation 5 5
Preach2k PLAYSTATION 5 ( PS5 ) - PS5 EVENT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED FOR THIS THURSDAY ! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5: Where's The Rest Of It? PlayStation 5 1
D Compatible wheels with PS5 will be? PlayStation 5 Accessories & Peripherals 5
Preach2k PLAYSTATION 5 Dev Kit Demo | PS5 Graphics | PS5 Home Screen Reveal | AMAZING! PlayStation 5 0
J PS5 titles with PS+ at launch??? PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5: What's Taking SO Long? PlayStation 5 3
ExZeroSix PS5 graphics and gameplay is crazy good! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PLAYSTATION 5 ( PS5 ) SONY is NOT Taking Any RISKS This Year ! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5: Pricing & Patent Leaks Revealed ! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5 Details REVEALED | Sony PlayStation 5 High End GPU Cooling & Next Gen Console Pricing Details! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5: Already Won And We Can Prove It! PlayStation 5 2
Preach2k PS5 console reveal LEAKED by Sony Developer! (PlayStation 5 News) PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k Could this be the PS5 Controller? PlayStation 5 Accessories & Peripherals 0
Preach2k PLAYSTATION 5 ( PS5 ) REVEAL DETAIL SOON ! / DESIGN LEAK - UI / PSVR 2 2020! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5 PlayStation 5 Trailer - ALL CONCEPTS PS5 by VR4Player! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5: Everything We Know About PlayStation 5 So Far! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5 | First World Wide Look At The Playstation 5 Design! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5 PlayStation 5 Trailer - Concept Design V5 - Welcome to the future of Gaming - VR4Player ! PlayStation 5 2
Preach2k Watch Sony's new PS5 announcement from CES 2020! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k Shocking PS5 Power & Price Advantage | Next Generation Xbox Series X vs. Playstation 5 Specs Leaks! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5: New Patent Leaks Revealed! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k WARNING for PS5 - Sony has Denied Release Date & Price! (PS5 News)! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5 | HUGE PlayStation 5 Rumor | NEW Ps5 ONLY Games | Should Sony Have Cross-Gen | Ps5 News! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5 new controller LEAKED! What is this?? (PlayStation 5 News) PlayStation 5 Accessories & Peripherals 0
Preach2k PS5 News - Sony will release 2 PlayStation 5 consoles! PlayStation 5 4
Preach2k PS5 Controller Performance and Gameplay Upgrades! (PlayStation 5 News)! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5 Pro Is Likely To Happen, According To Recent Interview! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5: The Update You've Been Waiting For! PlayStation 5 0
C Wait... Will PS5 even come out? PlayStation 5 9
Jellyfish If you look at the PS4 what do you expect for the PS5? PlayStation 4 9
W CD Storage PlayStation 4 2
C Crazy PS4 Gaming storage Unit PlayStation 4 0
B Need Help/Advice PS4 System storage management applications not deleting game PlayStation 4 0
Derri Increase PM Storage Feedback & Suggestions 4
M 'Other' Data in Applications System Storage Management PlayStation 4 5
K Struggling with cloud storage on ps4 - any help? PlayStation 4 0
Clark Wayne All Xbox LIVE members to receive unlimited cloud storage on Xbox One Xbox 4