• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS5 Quiet for you?

Shashu

Hi, this is my second Ps5 as i sent the first away thinking it was faulty (took a few months to get the other) to only find out i got the exact same issue.

That issue is the noise the PS5 makes from the fan (specialy when gameing), an annoying medium pitch with a choppy sound, am glad i bought the sony headphones as that dulls the sound but even so... i tend to get a headache after a few hours due to this sound and my tinnitus is getting worse due to it.

So am wondering if anyone else if having this same sound if it really is just how the PS5 is... even though ment to be quiet, some may find it quiet as my family can barely hear it but am more sensitive.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
Mine is as quiet as a mouse's fart. I'm more likely to hear the disc drive than the fan.

Shashu

I found a video which has the same problem... ppl in comments saying they having the same problems so seems am not the only one.

Also found out that it appears that all PS5's fan are not the same, some may be "cheaper" 17 bladed fan which may be causeing these "UFO" sounds, while others don't have this problem as they may have the 23 bladed fan. Some other places say there even other types of fans. We are all paying the same price to get different parts....

So yes Titan, you may been lucky getting the good fan.

Last edited:

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
I found a video which has the same problem... ppl in comments saying they having the same problems so seems am not the only one.

Also found out that it appears that all PS5's fan are not the same, some may be "cheaper" 17 bladed fan which may be causeing these "UFO" sounds, while others don't have this problem as they may have the 23 bladed fan. Some other places say there even other types of fans. We are all paying the same price to get different parts....

So yes Titan, you may been lucky getting the good fan.

That really isn't uncommon with electronics. I fix older game consoles and sell them as a hobby to fund my game collecting habits. I see differences all the time even within the same model of console. For example, the Xbox had 3 different disc drives. Some worked better than others. The PS3 had multiple hard drive manufacturers. You may have a Toshiba or a WD or a Seagate. It comes down to parts availability and who they contract to get their parts from. And with the supply shortages of 2020/2021, I'm sure they're getting fans wherever they can get them to keep up with demand and shipping goals. But what I imagine too is the connection on the motherboard is the same for the two fans (I can't confirm that right now though lol) so I am sure they're easy to swap for a better one. At least when parts are available.

I also watched the video. I'm not sure if that sound is a defect with the fan. Almost sounds like how the air is flowing through the fan making the chopping sound. Even if mine did make the sound (I haven't noticed it but gonna check now lol), I wouldn't worry about it. I'm used to loud consoles (glares at my PS4 and the loud disc drive of my PS2) so I don't even hear the fan noises anymore. Plus the volume I game at drowns it out lol.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements