• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS5 Optical Drive specs

Sirkassad

I will be getting the PS5 at launch, but I'm trying to decide between the standard and digital version. I'm also in the market for a 4k UHD blu ray player and I have my eye on the Sony UBP-X800M2 4k UHD blu ray player.
If I can get close to the same experience from the PS5 from the standpoint of watching blu rays I'll forego the standalone player; my fear is that the optical drive on the ps5 will only play movies/tv shows that are off the shelf, meaning it won't play a burned blu ray disc with the BDMV folder structure, nor will it play mkv files burned on the disc; in fact it might not play any burned media. I believe the UBP-X800M2 plays just about everything you throw at it, and also has bluetooth. Anyone have any thoughts, or know what the specs of the PS5 optical drive will be?

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
I will be getting the PS5 at launch, but I'm trying to decide between the standard and digital version. I'm also in the market for a 4k UHD blu ray player and I have my eye on the Sony UBP-X800M2 4k UHD blu ray player.
If you buy the digital edition, you're encouraging digital only future. Don't buy it. Buy the full, main PS5 (the one with the disc-drive.)
If I can get close to the same experience from the PS5 from the standpoint of watching blu rays I'll forego the standalone player; my fear is that the optical drive on the ps5 will only play movies/tv shows that are off the shelf, meaning it won't play a burned blu ray disc with the BDMV folder structure, nor will it play mkv files burned on the disc; in fact it might not play any burned media. I believe the UBP-X800M2 plays just about everything you throw at it, and also has bluetooth. Anyone have any thoughts, or know what the specs of the PS5 optical drive will be?
The PS5 has the 4K UHD Blu-Ray Optical Drive. No specs of that part of the system has been confirmed, but this is Sony, they're the ones who made Blu-Ray. It's not like they're contracting the association to do "x," it's Microsoft's Xbox Series X, that you'll have to worry about which Blu-Ray is going inside.

I never had to worry about this with PS4. Just pop it in, and you're good to go. Not likely to change with PS5.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
I agree with Carlos. Especially if you're looking for a standalone drive anyway. But to answer your question on burned discs, going by past trends, no. It will likely not play burned anything without modification (except music I'm sure. no one seems to care about burned CDs lol. But it's usually only games). But then again, I've made my own DVDs before and they played just fine on my PS3 and PS4. I did it a couple months ago actually. So I mean, maybe it will? Actually, thinking about it, I'm sure there's a way. Think of people who make home movies and burn them to discs. They need to play somehow.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements