• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS5 News - Sony will release 2 PlayStation 5 consoles!

Preach2k

PS5 News: PlayStation will be releasing a PS5 and a PS5 Pro console after the release of the PlayStation 5 in 2020. Is this good for PS5?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
I was annoyed when they did that with the PS4, mostly because I wanted it and didn't have 4K nor was looking to buy another PS4. I understood it because 4K really took off this past console generation and not everyone had 4K to merit getting the Pro. Now? What's the point? Guess we'll see when they release official details.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
I was annoyed when they did that with the PS4, mostly because I wanted it and didn't have 4K nor was looking to buy another PS4. I understood it because 4K really took off this past console generation and not everyone had 4K to merit getting the Pro. Now? What's the point? Guess we'll see when they release official details.
To be fair, they didn't launch a new model until half-way through PS4's lifecycle. I don't think Sony envisioned a PS4 Pro, until Microsoft teased a slim model, and a pro model, which they came out with Xbox One S and X. Sony said that PS4 Pro was a test. I think they will come out with models like with PS3. Difference is, we'll have something like a PS5 Pro, alongside the launch of PS5.

I'll buy that beefier PS5 over the base model, like Sony is teasing PS5 to be: An affordable PlayStation 5. Lots of talk about PS5 being weaker for the sake of hitting that sweet $400 price.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
Oh yeah. Like I said, I was able to understand the PS4 pro ;)

But if they release the two consoles, that begs the question, will gamers of the cheaper one be left in the dust. The big concern among the PS4 Pro for some time was developers only developing a game for PS4 Pro leaving PS4 regular gamers in the dust. Thankfully that didn't happen. But this cycle with two, I'm concerned that that could be true.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Oh yeah. Like I said, I was able to understand the PS4 pro ;)

But if they release the two consoles, that begs the question, will gamers of the cheaper one be left in the dust. The big concern among the PS4 Pro for some time was developers only developing a game for PS4 Pro leaving PS4 regular gamers in the dust. Thankfully that didn't happen. But this cycle with two, I'm concerned that that could be true.
I wouldn't be concerned. They marketed only the PS4 [base/Slim] for a while until this holiday season - they've been marketing the PS4 Pro. I think their model is to market both models on and off.

I see both Sony and Microsoft treating their consoles as a family, which Microsoft already hinted at with Series X. They are moving their business model towards that PC-in-console future. Steam already tried this, but Microsoft is trying to force this model onto the market.

And besides, people tend to buy cheap consoles more often than not. Nintendo launched it's new Nintendo Switch, and the Switch Lite. So, even Nintendo is doing it too, hell they're the ones who started this "ha ha, new model is here!" with DS/3DS/New/2DS.

Last edited:

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements