• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS5 Compatible Audio and Video Setup

JoshuaC123

Hello all,

First post here. As most of you know, the PS5 specs show the new console will utilize 3D audio and 4K 120hz video. I’ve been toying with the idea of putting a small 5.1 surround sound setup in my loft with a newer 4K tv. The only issue is I can’t find a reasonably priced 5.1 amplifier that has a 120hz 4K refresh rate and supports 3D audio.

With all this new technology coming out it only makes sense to avoid bottle necking specs of the PS5. Does anyone know an affordable approach to have a setup like this and while utilizing the full specs of the PS5? I would hate to spend money on a system and not be able to enjoy its full capabilities. I was looking at the Denon or the Sony amplifiers in the $300-$400 price range. Any advice? There must be a reasonable way to enjoy the new tech in these consoles coming out other than a good set of headphones.

Scoot71er

I would love to know if you have some success here. I am trying to play my PS5 through surround sounf and on projector, but am having the same audio issues because there is no separate audio output from the PS 5.

DCLong57

Best way is via eARC back through the HDMI. When I ran the HDMI direct to the panel then took optical out, there was a delay on the audio so eARC solved that - HDMI from the PS5 to the panel, then another HDMI to go from the panel back into my receiver. Works fine but here's the thing... all the games are just 5.1 - no Atmos or DTS-X.

Further, the 3D audio is just for their headset - not for surround receivers. It does not work on the older Golds or any other headset because the 3D is propritary for use with the new headset. This does not mean you cannot run your older headset - you can but just cannot engage the 3D audio.

As far as 120hz - No receivers can do 120 through the HDMI ports yet. Marantz can do it with either Xbox or PS5 but not both. It's a chip issue. We'll see what Yamaha comes out with a couple of months.

Realistically, Sony screwed up on this... there should have been either a secondary HDMI out for audio (like all decent 4K BluRay players) and an optical out. How much more could that have cost? Another 50 bucks? Fine, do it and I'll pay for it but too late now!

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements