• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS5 buzzing & humming noise finally solved

Hefêydd

Hello,

On the 19th February I would have had a PS5 fir 3 months and in that time the only issue that I've had is a humming a buzzing noise that's quite frankly driven my absolutely ******* crazy yo the point of despair. Sometimes depending how late I'm gaming so I don't disturb the wify because she's up at 5am every morning, she's a nurse, as I work mainly from home now as a Network Engineer I often sleep in the office/games/spare room and the buzzing PS5 has driven my nuts and last night I ejected the CD (which I know I shouldn't have because the PS5 OS is still really buggy and that means it will reinstall the game again and download the patches.

Well I noticed the humming had stopped, the fan was silent it was blissfully quiet. So it turned out the buzzing and vibrating noise was being caused by the media drive. My question is... why the heck is the CD spinning in Rest Mode when it should be turned off. So as a Software Enginer as well I thought this morning is this a firmware bug. Because once you place your console into a state of standby the optical media drive should stop reading the CD. But it continues to spin when it shouldn't be, as soon as I removed the CD the humming and buzzing stopped.

If other PS5 owner's could try this to see if they and replicate would be helpful to try and understand is this a forward bug which I actually think it is because there is no reason for the media drive to continue spinning the CD when the console is in Rest Mode. So after over 2 months it never occurred to me to remove the CD and this was the cause of the humming and buzzing noise because as soon as I removed the CD it stopped.

Hefêydd

I work from home mainly these days as we've all adapted to survive. As a Network Engineer I can't be on-site so I'm working remotely and via video conferencing with on-site engineers So my office is also my games room and also a spare room. Both my Next-Gen consoles are in here as well and at times so not to wake the wiffy I often sleep in the Spare Room/Office/Games Room if I am working or gaming late as she is up at 06:00 every morning shes a nurse and the fan running on the PS5 really does my head in. I decided to set USB to turn off after 3hrs as that's more than enough time to charge your headset. But surprisingly I noticed after 3hrs the fan is silent, the PSU is silent no buzzing, the Media drive isn't spinning. I was stunned for the first in nearly 3 months it's quiet as a mouse. So, give it a try if your PS5 is in the same room as you sleep, set the power settings to turn off USB after 3hrs and see what happens. 3 hours should be long enough to charge your headset however, it does depend on the make and model of your headset. You could charge your headset in an external source to charge your headset.

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Has the PS4 Blu-ray audio issue been fixed on PS5? PlayStation 5 0
C PS4/PS5 user query PlayStation 5 3
D Running PS4 games on the PS5 and a couple of hints PlayStation 5 1
K Need PS5 fix Help ? PlayStation 5 1
S PS5 Console PlayStation 5 1
T Ps5 slow Upload speed PlayStation 5 0
J PS5 Call of Duty Cold War Brick? PlayStation 5 1
A PS5 Dual Sense Controller Disconnecting PlayStation 5 1
M ps5 defective controller PlayStation 5 Accessories & Peripherals 1
N NP-104433-5 error PS5 PlayStation 5 0
D PS5 Bricked In Safe Mode - Error Code Su-101291-4 PlayStation 5 0
M My PS5 isn't turning on? Can anyone tell why? PlayStation 5 6
snikr PS5 charging station PlayStation 5 Accessories & Peripherals 4
R Is PS4 DLC downloadable from the PS5 store? PlayStation 5 1
L Can you use Bose Noise Cancelling headphones 700 with the ps5? PlayStation 5 Accessories & Peripherals 2
S Organizing PS5/PS4 games PlayStation 5 0
B External HDD compatible with PS5? PlayStation 5 2
T PS5 Placement PlayStation 5 3
D Playing PS4 Games on Ps5. How do I play Watchdogs PS5 version on my PS5? I have the PS4 version? PlayStation 5 1
P Ps5 not downloading updates PlayStation 5 0
R Black ops cold war update issues on ps5 PlayStation 5 0
O PS5 Dell D2719HGF 120hz Not Working PlayStation 5 0
B Trials/demos on ps5 store?.?.? PlayStation 5 0
I Greeting PS5'ers Introduce Yourself 1
potarotaTV Low Quality Stream from PS5? PlayStation 5 4
O ps5 gameshare question PlayStation 5 5
L SSD ESTERNI PER PS5 PlayStation 5 Accessories & Peripherals 1
B Turtle beach head set or astro for the new ps5? PlayStation 5 Accessories & Peripherals 2
HawaiiShrimp PS5 Launch Team Jacket (Large) PlayStation 5 Accessories & Peripherals 2
K Error code ps5 PlayStation 5 1
J PS5 Headset "switch output device automatically" PlayStation 5 Accessories & Peripherals 0
Q Is this enough airflow for my PS5? :) PlayStation 5 6
philip_austin How to do port forwarding on PS5 PlayStation 5 2
F PS5 Ultrawide Monitor PlayStation 5 0
T PS5 plus PlayStation 5 1
L Can’t log into my sub account on ps5. My son has a ps4 which his account was under his dads account and cannot login on his ps5 PlayStation 5 2
R PS5 freezes in gameplay PlayStation 5 1
W Problems with gamer keyboard when playing Warzone on ps5 PlayStation 5 Accessories & Peripherals 1
M PS5 question regarding DLC/Addons and GB size Spiderman Remastered PlayStation 5 0
M PS5 keeps starting in safe mode PlayStation 5 4
F PS5 streaming audio high pitched whine / echo PlayStation 5 1
P I watched this video and I got my ps5 purchase yesterday PlayStation 5 0
A ps5 120hz issue PlayStation 5 4
Carlos The PS5 is launching PlayStation 5 0
D ps5 1440p PlayStation 5 2
DestroyRepeat How to transfer your PS4 data to the PS5 console PlayStation 5 0
Carlos Sony says you'll need to order online to get PS5 PlayStation 5 3
M Can PS5 play home photos in a slideshow and MP3 background music from a USB drive ? PlayStation 5 3
O need non-internet stand-alone PS5 games PlayStation 5 0
W PS5 Pre-orders Delayed Until 2021? PlayStation 5 8