• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

ps5 and projector

jmford

I have a ps5 connected to a pioneer receiver and then out to a optoma hd20 projector through a 25 foot hdmi cable. I also have a ps4 pro hooked up the same way. The ps5 will not sync with the projector. The ps4 pro syncs up fine. Do I need a better quality hdmi cable from the receiver to the projector? Thanks. (I did get it to sync one time and then the next time I tried the problem returned. I did not do anything it just connected once and then the next time, next day, nothing.)

DCLong57

Take the output HDMI from the receiver and pop it in the output of the PS5. If it synchs fine... the problem is in the receiver - maybe not all inputs on it are not capable of handling the signal. If it doesn't work, you know it's likely the resolution of the PS5. Connect it to a display you can see and set the rez on the 5 to 1080p not 4K. The Optoma is probably not native 4K and the 5 may be trying to put it out.

jmford

Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion and it seemed to lock on fine. I do want to ask one question though. Most of the time, my ps5 and receiver are connected to a vizio tv through a 6 to 8 foot cable and no problems. Is it possible that a shorter cable or a newer cable to the projector might solve the problem? Buying a new receiver now is not a possibility. Thanks.

Further info. My present cable to the projector is 35 feet. It says hi speed cable but I purchased it back in 2011. I am just wondering if it would help to get a 30 foot uhd hdmi cable. Thanks

DCLong57

Possible but it should be more about the quality of the cable as opposed to the length. Look into the Audioquest stuff. Their 48gps cables don't come any longer that 3m but they are outstanding. If you can buy locally, most retailers will let you return the cable if it doesn't work for you. Try a Forest48, or higher. Also, check the rez of the projo... if it's 1080p, make sure the PS5 is set to that, not 4K or Auto. Do this first before you replace the cable.

jmford

Possible but it should be more about the quality of the cable as opposed to the length. Look into the Audioquest stuff. Their 48gps cables don't come any longer that 3m but they are outstanding. If you can buy locally, most retailers will let you return the cable if it doesn't work for you. Try a Forest48, or higher. Also, check the rez of the projo... if it's 1080p, make sure the PS5 is set to that, not 4K or Auto. Do this first before you replace the cable.
Well I tried setting the ps5 to 1080p instead of auto and it seems to work. Although only time will tell if it will continue to work. I am still considering getting a uhd cable 30 ft long. I do know that the longer the cable the more a signal is attenuated. 30 feet is the shortest I can get away with. Whatever the outcome, I really appreciate the help.

jmford

minor update on my problem, I tried again tonight and this time it would not sync up at first. I waited to a couple of minutes to see if it would sync up but no go. So I put the ps5 is rest mode and then powered it back up and finally it synced. Once it was synced I was able to watch a complete movie without any problems or loss of signal. I'm not sure what I a going to do next, But as I mentioned previously, buying a new receiver is not possible right now. I guess I glad I still have my ps4 hooked up. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks

DCLong57

Okay... take the hdmi that is coming out of the receiver (and going into the projo) and pull it out of the receiver and into the PS5. If it synchs without issues, I have a solution for you. Since in this case, the receiver is having a problem, bypass it completely for the Video. Here's what to do:

Go to this link and buy this adaptor:

What this does, is it takes the hdmi from the PS5 and splits the signal. It will give you HDMI out to the projo but takes the audio and puts it out via Optical. This way, you get your sound through the receiver and you're still getting video through the HDMI with your original cable (the one pulled out of the receiver). It will work fine and it's a crap-load less money than a new receiver. Your receiver will have an optical input.

jmford

Okay... take the hdmi that is coming out of the receiver (and going into the projo) and pull it out of the receiver and into the PS5. If it synchs without issues, I have a solution for you. Since in this case, the receiver is having a problem, bypass it completely for the Video. Here's what to do:

Go to this link and buy this adaptor:

What this does, is it takes the hdmi from the PS5 and splits the signal. It will give you HDMI out to the projo but takes the audio and puts it out via Optical. This way, you get your sound through the receiver and you're still getting video through the HDMI with your original cable (the one pulled out of the receiver). It will work fine and it's a crap-load less money than a new receiver. Your receiver will have an optical input.
Thanks for the advice, I will look into it.