• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

ps5 120hz issue

AugustusXCII

Hey everyone!

so I have an Asus Rog strix XG258Q monitor. (1080p 240hz)

On pc through DP I get 240hz no prob so I assumed through an hdmi 2.0 port with an hdmi 2.1 cable id be able to achieve 120hz with the ps5. I'm currently locked at 60hz (ps5). when I hook my ps5 up to my 4k sony tv it switches in the settings just fine so I know the cable works.

Ive tried doing the performance mode option on the ps5 settings and turning off ray tracing on the cod cold war settings but the option for 120hz never unlocks.

I've asked my techy friends and the geek squad guys at best buy..

Nobody seems to understand why my ps5 isn't capable of running past 60hz with this monitor.

I saw several people posting about this same topic so I figured id post my experience as well to see if anyone had any answers.

Thanks guys!

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Hey everyone!

so I have an Asus Rog strix XG258Q monitor. (1080p 240hz)

On pc through DP I get 240hz no prob so I assumed through an hdmi 2.0 port with an hdmi 2.1 cable id be able to achieve 120hz with the ps5. I'm currently locked at 60hz (ps5). when I hook my ps5 up to my 4k sony tv it switches in the settings just fine so I know the cable works.

Ive tried doing the performance mode option on the ps5 settings and turning off ray tracing on the cod cold war settings but the option for 120hz never unlocks.

I've asked my techy friends and the geek squad guys at best buy..

Nobody seems to understand why my ps5 isn't capable of running past 60hz with this monitor.

I saw several people posting about this same topic so I figured id post my experience as well to see if anyone had any answers.

Thanks guys!
I think when they said "120hz compatible" and "HDMI 2.1 compatible," they mean literally that. Your TV - ahem, I mean monitor - may support 120hz, and support HDMI 2.0 (with that HDMI 2.1 cable), what it sounds like is that the software in the firmware doesn't really support PlayStation 5 natively. Sony TV's support it because it's a SONY product.

Let me put it this way: Sony just shipped their new "PlayStation 5 ready" TV, model X900H, but when you use your PS5 on it, it won't really work at the full extent of the PS5. Why? Because the firmware wasn't updated to run PS5 natively.

It's kinda like plugging your PS3 into a TV with the wrong settings.

So, either change where your PS5 is played, or get a new TV that actually runs 120hz with no issue, and with full HDMI 2.1 compatibility. Most TVs or monitors don't support HDMI 2.1, so... you're gonna have to find it.

Or call Sony, there's a pamphlet with their phone number in it.

EDIT: I hope this video helps:

Ignore everything else, listen and learn what resonates with you. 1440p for example isn't supported.

Last edited:

AugustusXCII

I think when they said "120hz compatible" and "HDMI 2.1 compatible," they mean literally that. Your TV - ahem, I mean monitor - may support 120hz, and support HDMI 2.0 (with that HDMI 2.1 cable), what it sounds like is that the software in the firmware doesn't really support PlayStation 5 natively. Sony TV's support it because it's a SONY product.

Let me put it this way: Sony just shipped their new "PlayStation 5 ready" TV, model X900H, but when you use your PS5 on it, it won't really work at the full extent of the PS5. Why? Because the firmware wasn't updated to run PS5 natively.

It's kinda like plugging your PS3 into a TV with the wrong settings.

So, either change where your PS5 is played, or get a new TV that actually runs 120hz with no issue, and with full HDMI 2.1 compatibility. Most TVs or monitors don't support HDMI 2.1, so... you're gonna have to find it.

Or call Sony, there's a pamphlet with their phone number in it.

EDIT: I hope this video helps:

Ignore everything else, listen and learn what resonates with you. 1440p for example isn't supported.
Unfortunately due to covid sony isn't taking customer support calls for ps5. They just take you through generic questions on their support site. I wish I could call them an ask instead of posting on random forums haha.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Unfortunately due to covid sony isn't taking customer support calls for ps5. They just take you through generic questions on their support site. I wish I could call them an ask instead of posting on random forums haha.
Hm. I see. Well, I'm sorry about your poor experience.

JasonHB

You need a monitor or tv with hdmi2.1. just having a cable won’t do it as the chipsets in the monitor won’t handle the data speed for 120Hz.

You will only get 60Hz on hdmi2.0