• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS4 Won't Support External Hard Drives? What?

DrRipley

ku-bigpic.jpg

The first I read about this, I was instantly shocked, as seemingly in this day and age it sounds like a step backwards. Who the hell swaps internal hard drives, and why would they subject their consumers to such barbarism when USB ports already exist and only continue to evolve to be more efficient? Next gen console my a** (Just some humor, please excuse me). Furthermore, I do hope they aren't doing this just to sell proprietary HD's much like they did with Vita's SD cards. I don't know why there is not more uproar about this, am I missing something?

PS4 won't support external hard drives, specs for replacement drives revealed

Dame6089

This seems really strange for the size of the games. This will be really inconvenient for people that buy tons of games. I can't imagine having to trade hard drives every tiem you witch games. It will be like going back to the days of memory cards.

bknight

As long as you can change the default HDD on the console I'm fine with it, I've changed the default PS3 one, couldn't be easier to do, everyone can do it..

mosul210

I agree with everyone, 500GB is not going to be nearly enough when 1st generation games are already near the 50GB size range. I would much rather Sony came out with the bigger HDDs now and save me the time and inconvenience to have to swap later.

AvalonX

I agree with everyone, 500GB is not going to be nearly enough when 1st generation games are already near the 50GB size range. I would much rather Sony came out with the bigger HDDs now and save me the time and inconvenience to have to swap later.

I think bigger drives would certainly drive up the cost. I would rather get get my own drive at my own price later on. The external drive issue would be nice for music and movies but I don't think you could install games via external drives anyway. I do agree though that this is still disappointing.

sampson

Yes, it was a little disappointing to hear this, but I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I didn't think that you could install games onto external hard-drives anyway. For me it would be not being able to play media content like movies. I guess Sony are just thinking of the future, trying to "coerce" people into cloud and network storage which seems to be the way a lot of technology is going.
As long as the internal is swappable then I'm happy!

iShootRocks

I guess its kind of a let down considering that it really is a step backwards. I don't really have a problem with upgrading the internal one though.

Pickicool

I saw a video, and it's obviously very easy to change the internal hard disk on the PS4. And internal hard drives are not so expensive. I do not see the problem.

Then there was just two USB ports on the PS4. it would be a bit silly to use one just for an internal hard disk. 500GB is already more than enough unless you are often purchased from digital content. Then with the internal hard drive, it can go up to 1.5.

So we do not panic and try to understand Sony's decision. Then made ​​days can surely set it, but there would be too much risk of bugs with all types of external hard drives. The PS3 is already doing well, right?

Joker99352

Not supporting external devises seems like a money grab to me. I know that Xbox 360 hard drives are absurdly expensive, unless you buy them from a third party on Amazon or something. You pay for the brand and not the quality, although admittedly the things I have bought have been of pretty good quality.

mauricioq

That's disappointing, I know it's still possible to replace it, but why not make it simpler?
Sounds like a tactic to get more money to me, oh well.

lindbergh

It seems like Sony is saving the worst for last. A few months ago, Sony was giving it their all to Microsoft. They threw punch after punch without getting hit in return. But now as the launch date nears, it seems as though the problems are now piling up. What's with this "no to external memory"? To prevent piracy? It won't! Sony, get a grip of yourself. Why did you do this? Why?

DrRipley

I saw a video, and it's obviously very easy to change the internal hard disk on the PS4. And internal hard drives are not so expensive. I do not see the problem.

Then there was just two USB ports on the PS4. it would be a bit silly to use one just for an internal hard disk. 500GB is already more than enough unless you are often purchased from digital content. Then with the internal hard drive, it can go up to 1.5.

So we do not panic and try to understand Sony's decision. Then made ​​days can surely set it, but there would be too much risk of bugs with all types of external hard drives. The PS3 is already doing well, right?

I agree that changing drives is a lot less difficult than I made it sound to be, but I was mostly just trying to emphasize that shoving in a little plug would still be exponentially more convenient no matter how easy it was. Also, even just for the small stuff like transferring music through USB or with the use of a thumb drive would presumably be disallowed with this non-feature, which is as I've said before, a little backwards in my opinion.

desarijulian

That seems like a weird decision. So all we can do is change the internal hard drives? Even the Wii U supports external hard drives, even if it's only certain brands. I'm not sure I 100% understand Sony's decision but I'm not going to panic about it. If I need more space then I'll handle it.

eabailey

I read somewhere that a software update will allow the PS4 to make use of an external drive... i also saw a pro's and con's write up and this particular con was updated to 'feature to be added with software update'... now i just gotta find my source material! Lots of history to look through... ha... Hell, the PS3 allowed you to use it for media... I'm planning on taking the 500gb that I'm gonna replace and put it into a ext. drive casing(about $15... easy to put together...)... Now, should I put the 1TB Samsung Pro SSD I bought for my now defunct ASUS(Have one in Macbook Pro... Asus was my media/gaming laptop... what a shame) in my PS4? Or wait for the Samsung 2TB 9.5mm to hit shelves? i know SSD should improve performance since its solid state and works like a flash drive, but it isn't made for constant R/Ws... In fact, I THINK it has a finite number of r/w... Any suggestions? BTW, I googled 'external drives' and 'the PS4' and Sony said that "we will listen to feedback and make improvements accordingly... Its a living, evolving machine' when asked if external drive compatibility is possible... M$ Did that with the xbox-released an update to support ext. drive... The only hardware needed is USB 3.0, no? Can you put media on an ext. drive? in FAQ, Sony says use a USB storage device for game save data and also for system data when changing out hdd... Don't forget Cloud support... You can delete something and let it live in the cloud... Download it if/when you need it...

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements