• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS4 HDMI Converter to Analog TV Question

Ben

shopping.jpgI'm pretty new to gaming and all but I've decided to get a ps4. The problem is that after watching the Ps4 unboxing video it only comes with an HDMI cable, my issue is that I only have analog tv's. I'm planning on getting a flat screen as soon as I can but saving for the Ps4 has all of my money drained. I've been looking into HDMI to RCA converters and they range from 35 to 100 bucks but today i found this cable in the image but would this cable work? I'm not looking for high quality, all I want is something to get my by until I can save for a tv. Thanks for the help.

Edit: also would the different color cables make a difference

Attachments

• HDMI_5RCA.jpg
    HDMI_5RCA.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 55,284
Last edited by a moderator:

ResistantLaw

It looks like it would work, I don't see why not. The first image seems like it is all you would need, the second one that had green, blue, etc is Component which is HD. I assume you only have the red white and yellow plug.

themarting

That first cable is missing something. I would definitely look for reviews on it.

Converting HDMI to analog isnt as simple as plugging in some cables, youre converting digital to analog. I dont really understand how you can buy a PS4 without first having a TV to play it on that at least accepts HDMI.

Do you have a computer monitor you could possibly connect it to? Some of those are hdmi now and offer great resolutions.

erronousRogue

If your TV supports it, it's probably going to work. But yeah, you're better off trying to connect it to a monitor or something, you'd get way better quality on something like HDMI > DVI or HDMI > VGA. Component cables are a bit finicky.

Ben

That first cable is missing something. I would definitely look for reviews on it.

Converting HDMI to analog isnt as simple as plugging in some cables, youre converting digital to analog. I dont really understand how you can buy a PS4 without first having a TV to play it on that at least accepts HDMI.

Do you have a computer monitor you could possibly connect it to? Some of those are hdmi now and offer great resolutions.

Alright, thank you very much and yes I do. That could work.

Wow I can't believe what u are saying. The guy is saving his money to put out for the system
Which isn't cheap. I don't have a hdmi compatible tv. Yet I do have a hdtv.
So I will be trying the converter route.

I just got off the phone with the sony rep. Using a conveter will void the warranty of the unit. Guess it's good to have bestbuy warranty.

themarting

Just saying, thats like buying the newest ferrari but you live somewhere where there are only dirt roads with mud and potholes all over them. Youll never get to use it to its full potential so why bother...

Shana

Wow I can't believe what u are saying. The guy is saving his money to put out for the system
Which isn't cheap. I don't have a hdmi compatible tv. Yet I do have a hdtv.
So I will be trying the converter route.

I just got off the phone with the sony rep. Using a conveter will void the warranty of the unit. Guess it's good to have bestbuy warranty.

It only voids the warranty if they know you been using one... how would they ever know?

I also see the point on saving money to get the system and more power to you, but I agree with everyone else. I wouldn't get a PS4 without an HD TV that takes an HDMI cord. I also wouldn't buy an HD TV that only went up to component, that's pretty lame! I'm not judging though I can totally see buying one anyway and then saving even more money. The system itself is great! I personally though think one of the best parts of the newer consoles is the graphics!

Just saying, thats like buying the newest ferrari but you live somewhere where there are only dirt roads with mud and potholes all over them. Youll never get to use it to its full potential so why bother...

I understand your thought and theory. But it is what it is. There are many people that wish they could be in a position to pickup the ps4. I have a component tv. Works great yeah 13 years old but I'm to cheap to up grade. I'm taking my money and picking up xbox one this Friday. Lol.

One day I will upgrade. Just not today. Till the component works perfect.

4Know

No analog output on PS4

Sorry to deceive you but you won't be able to get analog out of the PS4 this way, the PS4 is pure digital, therefor you need a HDMI to component converter, those cables are rip off and will produce a black screen only.
To do a proper Digital to Analog conversion you need to decipher the HDMI stream and you also need a DAC (Sony have digital cp included even if you just play games for the moment, they claim that they will remove the digital cp when playing games but this is not the case currently).

The only working solution of great quality is called HDfury and its pretty popular out there. However there is also a whole bunch of clones far from matching the quality of the original design, but can make illusion if your display is small like about 19 or 20 inch.
Otherwise look for a HDfury2, its expensive on the official site but include worldwide shipping, you might find MUCH better deal locally or even by purchasing a 2nd hand.

Please note that you will need a Power supply as well because the PS4 have very low current available on its hdmi output thus a lot of converters that could normally work standalone from HDMI sources won't be capable of doing so with the PS4.

Hope it helps!

eabailey

I'm not sure that this even possible... How could a High def video and audio signal be converted to analog component outputs(White cord) or RGB(2nd picture...)? Remember HDMI carries Sound and picture... I had to use a digital to analog conversion box to convert the digital audio out to analog... An item I have plenty of... I bought 30 after buying 15 sony Blu Rays before seeing they only had digital out... not good if you have audiophile equipment! Bryston, Lab-gruppen, and crown amps don't tend to have digital inputs... ha... BUT, A guy that works around the house for me(building speaker boxes mostly and running hdmi, patch, and other cords through walls up to my 'sat. room' that contains all of my media ran through splitters and dist amps and IR repeaters if remote isnt RF or bluetooth) will know for sure... We have converted many lamp wires into 3.5mm 12v trigger switches and 3.5mm to rca patch cords along with other frankenstein stuff...I'll post the answer tomorrow when he gets here...

Last edited:

ray33

I'm also planning to buy a ps4. I have a hdtv but my hdmi are busted. The tv was a gift from a friend. he basically bought a new video card since he couldnt see the picture any more. once he assembled the tv back together, he noticed the hdmi no longer worked, but the picture works fine. He said it was a hassle to remove all those screws.
I currently use the ps3 with the component cables.

so will the ps4 still work if I bought the cables above? i dont want to buy a new tv.

Last edited:

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements