• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

ps4 hard drive space for installing games

archer2005uk

hi just got my ps4 with cod but it says cod is minimum of 49 gb which means am not going to get a lot of games on it i thought if you had the disk it would use so much gb ? if this is the case 500 gb is really useless need a bigger hard drive help

Last edited by a moderator:

Frantic

, , Founder, ,
COD with the disk is 33 gigs. You can either replace the hard drive with a much bigger one. Or delete games you aren't using while keeping the save files on your PS4. So you can pick up where you left on when you reinstall it. 500 gigs is eventually going to be a problem.

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
Not all games are that big but with installs being mandatory I swapped mine for a 1TB day one.
500GB for PS3 is heaps but now in the days of PS4 I think 1TB is the minimum. 500GB will fill faster than you think.
Another reason I wont buy digital only games if I have a choice,at least if you have the disc you can delete the data and install it again should you need too,with digital bought games you can only download it a few times I believe before you need to buy it again. Screw that.

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
Trophies are not wiped,info for that is stored online.
Whether you have deleted your game or not. If you borrow a game from someone,play it for 5 mins then give it back you will see that game in your trophies list,even if you havent earnt any yet for that game.

You can delete your game date and keep save data,they are stored in diff directories,on PS4 game data is: Settings/System Storage Management/Applications while the save data is Settings/System Storage Management/Application Saved data

NOTE that when you delete game data the save from Application save data for that game is automatically moved to a folder in your save data called 'other'.
When you reinstall that game the save data is moved back.
Its only permanently gone of you delete the game save data from wherever it is in any of those locations.

Ofcourse with PS+ you can also upload saves online too.

Last edited:

daimashin

Depends on how you plan to use it. If you are keeping physical copies, chances are you can delete the install once you're done with the game and reinstall when need be. No point installing ten games at once when you are only playing one to two games at a time. Installing a game only takes like a minute or two depending on file size so time isn't really the issue. If you're going full digital, I think you would want a bigger harddrive so you can avoid redownloading the games too much.

PS4Gamer

PS4 HDD has 500gb HDD. It sounds a lot, but its only 10-15 next-gen games, and then it's full. You can upgrade your HDD. I read a good article on a site called PS4Home.com, go take a look at it.

WarriorSoldier

To be honest with you, I don't see the need of why developers, are making games so big now. Given that games are more advanced in graphical capabilities, & some storage and processing might have to be used, but I just don't see how it can go so high from one generation to the next.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements