• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS4 does not support media playback!

AB9100

Am I the only one ticked off that Sony decided not to add media playback as a feature?

Media Playback was the main reason i purchased Sony's previous system 'The PlayStation 3". I was very pleased with this feature over the lifespan of the PS3. I was able to store, and play all of my files on one device.

When i heard about the PS4 being released I was ecstatic. I did not consider the idea that Sony would leave this feature out. When i plugged in my external HDD i was very angry. I could not understand how Sony could think it is a good idea fro their old system to have more features than their new one.

Does anyone have any information on this issue?

trueblue

have heard that they plan to add it later in a patch,,, when? how long?,,, how long is a piece of string,,,, was hoping they would have sorted it by now,,, bad move imo not having it. Between that and the fact I have soooo many log in issues with the PSN (that im now paying the privilege for) I am starting to wish I had just stuck with my PS3,, in fact I might bring it back downstairs soon

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
Media Playback was the main reason i purchased Sony's previous system 'The PlayStation 3".
Odd,I bought my PS3 for gaming.

Its handy and would be nice ofcourse though but did you intend to buy a media device or THE best gaming console?
If your decision was the best gaming console you chose correct but if you wanted an all in one media device then maybe the PS4 was not the right choice for you.

baracksyndel

Symbol Sounds Oberon. Anyway, I heard that their adding it as a patch so I"m not really that concerned about it. I care more about gaming when it comes to my consoles and as long as there was netflix I didn't really care about not having Media playback. It's coming so it's lack of initial inclusion doesn't really bother me.

Legendoflore

I didn't even realize that it was not part of the package in the PS4. But if like what the others said, that it will be patched in later then I don't really see what the big deal is. I never cared about it before but I can understand why fans of the service would be annoyed if it wasn't available to them anymore.

AB9100

Odd,I bought my PS3 for gaming.

Its handy and would be nice ofcourse though but did you intend to buy a media device or THE best gaming console?
If your decision was the best gaming console you chose correct but if you wanted an all in one media device then maybe the PS4 was not the right choice for you.

That is your opinion.

However. I remember the entire pitch for the PlayStation 3 was that it would be "The Center Of Your Living Room" and it was. I loved my PS3 because of it's versatility.

The PS$ is handicap at the moment. The console is suppose to be all about gaming, but there are only a few games worth playing. They could have at least added MP3 support. The fact that i can't play a CD in the PS4 is just ridiculous. It is 2014.

Did they really think that people would not want MP3 support?

Maou

I'll have to agree that the PS4 is lacking when it comes to media, can't deny that. Thing is I didn't buy the PS4 for it, it's a gaming console and my purchase was solely on those grounds.

Would it be great if the PS4 could support all sorts of media? Yes, yes it would.
Can I say that I truly miss some of those features? Honestly, no.

I presume that eventually it will all be added and I'll just ignore it.

yossup

Yeah, I couldn't quite believe it at first. I mean, it's not tooooo big of a deal since I wouldn't store most of my media on my playstation but it seems a bit odd that they couldn't even add such a simple capability. It'd be nice if you could add an external hdd to the ps4 and simply play media that you have on the hdd. It's a bit disappointing tbh.

schoat333

I have never even used my ps3 to play blu-ray movies. The PS4 is exactly what I wanted it to be. To each their own.

AB9100

Yeah, I couldn't quite believe it at first. I mean, it's not tooooo big of a deal since I wouldn't store most of my media on my playstation but it seems a bit odd that they couldn't even add such a simple capability. It'd be nice if you could add an external hdd to the ps4 and simply play media that you have on the hdd. It's a bit disappointing tbh.

This is just my point.

This is an issue that you do not think of before you buy the system. Simply because it is such a basic, and common feature. It only bothers you when you take it home , and plug it up

That is when you realize how big of a role media playback plays in you life. I could understand Sony deciding not to add video codecs, because of piracy concerns. Which is a big market now.

However. Not adding Mp3 support is a bit extreme.