• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS4 ? backward play.

Ronan

Hey new here with a question.Has any plans been made for Sony to introduce backward play software without downloading from net. I Can not justify purchasing a PS4 if my investment in games can not be played and do not want to 2 players I have to switch between. I also have friends the believe as I that the investment can not be justified.
Thanks

Haze

PS4 does not have any backward compatibility of any kind. It cannot play PS3 games. However, I believe it's later this year, there will be a program called Playstation Now where you will be able to stream PS3 games and play them on your PS4.

iamthenight90

The Watcher In The Wings
PS4 does not have any backward compatibility of any kind. It cannot play PS3 games. However, I believe it's later this year, there will be a program called Playstation Now where you will be able to stream PS3 games and play them on your PS4.

the ps now beta is in america and its realy overpriced.

Ciel

See-Elle
While it is not backwards compatible, they seem to be re-releasing games as "remastered" editions.

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
Honestly though,who buys a PS4 to play PS3 games? Sure it would be a darn handy feature but really,I for one bought it for PS4 games.
How many of you actually play PS1 games on PS3 or played PS1 games on your PS2? Im sure you maybe did for a very short time,or as novelty value but we buy the latest consoles to play the latest console games on them,dont we?

don_bidarian

I had backward compatibility on my PS2, never played a single PS1 game on it.
I bought the PS3 without backward compatibility, I was dissapointed that my PS3 didnt include the feature, but I also had my PS2, never turned it on again to play PS2 games.

When PS4 didnt have backward compatibility, I wasnt surprised, it is an unnecessary feature and it only adds cost to the product while maybe just less than 5% of customers actually use it.

Now they are coming out with PS Now which offers last gen games, also as Ciel mentioned many famous games are being remastered, so if you miss an old game, you can get it again on PS4 with slightly better graphics.

Haymansafc

This is one of a number of reasons why I've held back buying the PS4. In recent years there have been some excellent games for the PS3 – probably it's best spell, actually. GTA5 and The Last Of Us being two that immediately spring to mind. Whilst I know GTA5 is now also available on the PS4 and of course we have a 'remastered' version of The last Of Us (which to be honest, looks no different on YouTube to me, even in it’s top 1080p setting) – I'm not willing to spend yet more money on the same games again just to top up Sony's bank balance. That's what this is all about, basically. I want to make sure that I have no real need to play them any more before and I’ve done all of what I wanted to do I take 'the plunge' and get a PS4.

Of course the natural solution would be to keep my PS3 when I upgrade. I suspect many here would be advising me that if I hadn't have said otherwise. Yes, that's all very well and good – if you have the space and spare plug sockets to run two consoles at once. Unfortunately I don't. It's one or the other. I'm already running two extension sockets as it is.

No, having no backwards compatibility it certainly won't stop me buying a PS4. I coped without it with the PS3 and I'm sure I can do it again with the new console. I'm not upset about it – I expected it from the spec notes the moment the new console was announced. This is more a matter of principle than a deal breaker. Meanwhile the longer I wait to make the change, the prices stand more of a chance of being shaved to something a little more palatable! A win-win situation as far as I'm concerned!
:D

Oberon said:
How many of you actually play PS1 games on PS3 or played PS1 games on your PS2?

More than a quarter of the games I had for the PS2 were actually PS1 games. I was still playing the first two Tomb Raider's and Resident Evil's shortly before the PS3 was launched – as I knew the new console had no backwards compatibility for me to continue playing them… I can't comment if you do so online as I've never connected my PS3 to the internet. I don't wish to sound blunt, but people really are beginning to underestimate the value of backwards compatibility. Especially to those who either may not have the funds to continuously upgrade hardware or purchase the latest games, or may not have the necessary knowledge/skill to do so. What's 'easy' to some, may not be so easy for others.

rkkeller

While it would be nice, I am OK with how Sony is handling old games with the PS Now once they get it working. I might play a couple, but I want next gen games.

I am usually a 1 system person. I always sell my old system to help pay for the new one. I sold my Xbox 360 and all my games to help pay for the Xbox One and now that I have a PS4, I am probably going to sell my Xbox One to pay for it.

jbeavis100

It's sad but the Sony consoles have all but abandoned the idea of traditional backwards compatibility in hopes of making even more money, as greedy as they are. PS4 onward will probably not have backwards compatibility and that is a sad thing..

rkkeller

It wasn't $ really, it was due to wanting to use newer and better technology. Sony wanted to go with better hardware and technically it is different than the PS3 and so it can not play PS3 games. The PS4 would have to have a second CPU and hardware to play PS3 games "directly" and that would drive up the cost.

edogn12

With the 3ds you could play regular ds games along the 3ds version as well. It makes me feel like the 3ds is more of an upgrade than a new beginning. I think the ps4 should have taken this Route.

If you have a PS3, just keep it and turn it on when you want to play it. Does Xbox have backwards compatibility? I do not think so. If you love your PS3 games so much, plugging in the PS3 to play them is no big deal. If you do not have a receiver that can handle multiple hdmi inputs, or a tv that cannot, then simply swap the cables, its a 5 second change. I have my PS3 still, I have lots of games that I love, but I think I have turned it on once since getting the PS4 and that was to try out a 3D movie on a new TV I bought before the PS4 could play 3D.

FrostWinds

Honestly though,who buys a PS4 to play PS3 games? Sure it would be a darn handy feature but really,I for one bought it for PS4 games.
How many of you actually play PS1 games on PS3 or played PS1 games on your PS2? Im sure you maybe did for a very short time,or as novelty value but we buy the latest consoles to play the latest console games on them,dont we?

Yes I played PS1 games on my PS2 quite often, and still do sometimes. Medal of Honor, early Twisted Metals, Legend of Dragoon, were and are great PS1 games that I played constantly. The 360 was able to play some xbox games and it was great playing the Megaman Collection and Baldur's Gate 2. With the E3 fiasco a lot of people cancelled their One pre-orders and got the PS4 instead. So you can assume that a lot of 360 users now have the PS4(I am one of them) and a lot of people didn't have a PS3. No I did not buy a PS4 to play all the PS3 games I missed out on but it would be nice to play what could be considered as some of the console's staple titles like MGS4, Ratchet and Clank, Heavy Rain, etc.

I understand the decision to not have it. Developers don't make any money on used games so from their side why bother. For me however I'm on the hunt right now for a used copy of Final Doom on PS1 to play on my PS2, ha.

Last edited:

Nackles

Why do gamers have such an issue with backwards capable technology? Keep the console. You don't have room or time to switch cords? Sounds like you don't want to play the old games too bad. Sorry if that seems blunt, but honestly...

Yosostupid

There's no such thing as backward compatibility on the Playstation 4, but they're coming out with remastered and HD editions of Playstation 3 games. I really wish there was some kind of digital compatibility though, and you could buy games from the online shop and play them.

troutski

Backwards compatibility isn't coming anytime soon since it's a technical challenge. Otherwise, wouldn't the PS4 have to emulate PS3 titles, which would require far more resources for gameplay that could be full of glitches and issues? I have no issues with it. It's not a PS3, and Sony never, ever mentioned backwards compatibility.

Why do gamers have such an issue with backwards capable technology? Keep the console. You don't have room or time to switch cords? Sounds like you don't want to play the old games too bad. Sorry if that seems blunt, but honestly...

That is what I do and not sure why others do not when this is the issue. If you have to sell the PS3 to afford the PS4, well than you have to decide if it is worth losing the ability to play the PS3 games. The only games right now that I would go back and play on the PS3 is Red Dead Redemption and GTA 5, but I will be buying GTA5 for the PS4, so that will rule that one out and Red Dead, I have finished the game more than a few times, it is like a good book to go back to every now and than.

daimashin

Yeah it's not backwards compatible but there is PS Now that Sony is pushing right now. For now, it's only PS3 games but there are possibilities that they will introduce games from the PS1 up to PS4 games in the future. Anyway, if you really want to play your old games, best to keep the PS3 until you can afford to keep both.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements