• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS3 games on PS4 ?

PS4A

Hy,

Do you know something about this, to play PS3 games on new PS4? I see a lot of post but not in one direction , some tell yes it work, someone say NOT. :confused:

sidd230

You will be able to play some PS3 games using the PSNow feature. Particularly the Sony published titles.

hdejong

Will we ever be able to play all ps3 games on ps4 or will we always be limited to what PSNow allows

Obsidian

Will we ever be able to play all ps3 games on ps4 or will we always be limited to what PSNow allows

AFAIK we will only be able to use PSNow. The PS4 uses a different architecture (probably something else, I'm no expert), so no putting a PS3 disc in. That's how I understand it, I may be wrong though.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
AFAIK we will only be able to use PSNow. The PS4 uses a different architecture (probably something else, I'm no expert), so no putting a PS3 disc in. That's how I understand it, I may be wrong though.

PS4 uses X86 similar to what a PC uses. The PS3 uses the Cell processor and customized chips so the architecture is very different and games have to be designed around it. The PS3 as said by developers is a pain to develop for because its so different. So games on PSNow I'm assuming have to be reworked so all games on PSNow will more than likely not happen. Only the ones that will be profitable.

baracksyndel

True. Once PSNow comes you'll be able to play certain older games on the PS4, for now all you can do is see which current PS3 games are available for upgrades on the PS4. I believe it's about $10 for games that came out right before the console launch. So games like AC4 are available and other games are coming. If you're looking for GTAV then you're going to have to wait a while.

The Unlosing Ranger

Mighty Strike-Out Slugger
No, can't do. No PS3 games on PS4.

But as baracksyndel said, PSNow will allow you to STREAM games to your PS4. Requires a hella good internet connection without a bandwidth cap and you will most likely have to rebuy games (if you own any).

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
No, can't do. No PS3 games on PS4.

But as baracksyndel said, PSNow will allow you to STREAM games to your PS4. Requires a hella good internet connection without a bandwidth cap and you will most likely have to rebuy games (if you own any).

Unless it ends up being subscription based.......or you just keep your PS3 hooked up :)

turklife

It's too bad that the PS4 wasn't already compatible with PS3 games so that we could use our games discs without having to pay for the service. This isn't a deal breaker for me, though. I'm still very happy that we have the opportunity to play PS3 games on the PS4. It's a lot better than nothing, and I'm excited to test this out!

hellsing006

Exactly. You'll just have to see what PSNow has to offer and choose from there but I agree that there is a very good chance that all you'll be able to do is repurchase the game. But maybe they'll figure out a way to allow people to download for free. Who knows. Anyway, that's as close to backwards compatibility as we'll get with the PS4.

schoat333

Just another thing to think about is Sony will have to remake all of these PSnow games to utilize the DS4 controllers new buttons, unless they have plans to make the DS3 work with a PS4 at some point.

Legendoflore

I wonder what the plan is. I'm looking forward to PSNow for that reason because I can't imagine that the games will be that expensive and their are plenty of titles that I never played for the older consoles that I'm interested in now. For example I finally played Eternal Sonata because I saw it on sale and it was amazing.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements