• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Pepsi Man = Temple Run?

lindbergh

I never owned this game but I saw it being played in a video game shop back in the days when I still didn't have a PS1. I also did not know the title before but I truly thought that it was a cool game. It's actually a game about running and dodging. Much like Temple Run perhaps? Check this video out and judge for yourself:
For me, this even looks a lot cooler than Temple Run. What do you think?

Shana

All games got ideas from old games and inspiration. These two do have a bunch in common and it's very possible Temple Run got ideas from Pepsiman. The best thing to do if your really interested would be to google the makers. Who knows, maybe it's the same guy, or the first makers kid or something.

SpiralArchitect

There are no connections of this sort. Pepsi Man was essentially a glorified Pepsi ad campaign. I found the game pretty fun though and I even thought of making a Pepsi Man thread in this forum before forgetting all about the idea. But frankly, it didn't occur to me until I saw the title of this thread about how similar the two games are. If the makers were inspired by Pepsi Man, the inspiration manifested in the form of a direct rip off because except the surroundings little separates the two. Pepsi Man, in fact, may have offered more in the way of game play than Temple Run.

Last edited:

Mikey Paine

They are similar, but I doubt the Temple Run developers were even aware of this game, it was only released in Japan. My favorite Youtuber Cr1kital did a video playing it, it's hilarious.
NSFW (Language)

lindbergh

There are no connections of this sort. Pepsi Man was essentially a glorified Pepsi ad campaign. I found the game pretty fun though and I even thought of making a Pepsi Man thread in this forum before forgetting all about the idea. But frankly, it didn't occur to me until I saw the title of this thread about how similar the two games are. If the makers were inspired by Pepsi Man, the inspiration manifested in the form of a direct rip off because except the surroundings little separates the two. Pepsi Man, in fact, may have offered more in the way of game play than Temple Run.
Yeah, I have played both Temple Run 1 and 2 and they're very simplistic with environments that are pretty much the same. And to think that a lot of tablet-owning people thought that Temple Run was very innovative when it first came out. I even remember my iPad owning friends kept on showing me that they were playing Temple Run before. Lol. What they didn't know is that it was very similar to a retro game waaay back in the PS1 era.

SpiralArchitect

it was only released in Japan.
Nope. It was a pretty common game on PS1 here in India and seeing as we did not get Japanese versions of games (We had Soul Blade and not Soul Edge here), I am pretty sure it was released in other countries as well.

Not saying that they ripped it off but it is not unlikely that they had heard of it.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!