• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Noob question

Pedro funk

Hi,
I've just brought a ps4 after having problems with my xbox one. My question is does the ps4 suffer from over heating?

I've been told the power brick is actually inside the console surely this will create extra heat?
I have my ps4 laying flat inside my entertainment unit next to my sky box and when I move close to it to change games you can feel the heat coming out.

Or am I over reacting because the xbox was prone to getting hot?

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
I dont think its a big issue either but I would'nt keep the console in a very small closed area like a tight cabinet.Better to have plenty of room for air flow around it.
I woud'nt say it's bad inside your entertainment unit,as long as there is plenty of air space around it,namely the vents ofcourse.

btw: If anyone is using a vertical stand (like me) make sure it's one of those that has vents on the bottom with a side opening.Some vertical stands dont have that and so you are blocking an important vent at the bottom.

don_bidarian

If the space around it is open and lets the air flow, and it is not close to any heater, you are good to go.

I havent seen any complaints on the internet about PS4 overheating(fortunately).

Pedro funk

Thanks guys. After the hassle I've had with xbox! The last thing I want is my playstation melting.....lol

Madcat32

If you can feel the heat that's because it is being dispersed more effectively.

There are a few issues with the PS4 like all electronics but these seem few and far between and so far the RROD type issue is unheard of.

As Oberon says make sure it's in a ventilated area and those stands can be a really bad idea if they block your vents.

A guy on here had a PS4 that was in a house fire and melted all the plastic casing but still worked so I'd say pretty reliable!

My PS3 60GB died after about 3.5 years with a YLOD and I was devastated.

Pedro funk

I have another question if I may?

Does the playstation friends list work in a similar way to xbox? I mean can you follow people without them being a friend? I've not noticed many options when looking at other peoples profile.

To be honest I'm yet to take my ps4 online as I'm still getting used to the controller so obviously I've not encountered my people yet!

sparkblade14

You can look at their profile and what games they've been playing, if that's what you're asking. You don't know when they log in though. And you'd have to specifically find the person that you want to see. (Just better adding people, IMO) There's also a "Recently Met" menu under the friends tab on the Home Screen that shows you people you've recently come into contact with during games.

schoat333

The processor is going to run hotter than the power supply, so don't worry about it being internal.

To prevent it from overheating just make sure it has plenty of open air around it, and make sure you clean the dust off of the vents when it starts to build.

Haymansafc

I thought the PS4 generally run cooler than it's predecessor anyway, unless I've read that from somewhere unreliable…? I don't know – I don't have one myself yet but I'd be interested to know myself for sure.

All I can say is that my PS3 has been inside a cabinet from day one. It's actually an old 1970's Pioneer vinyl record stand that I store DVD's at the bottom (where records used to go) and the Sky Box with the PS3 on the shelf above – which used to be where the sound gubbins and controls used to be for the record player. The cabinet isn't much wider than the PS3. There must only be a few inches to spare on either side. My PS3 has sat above my Sky Plus box since I bought it. It's got pretty warm inside there I admit, but the console itself has never overheated whether it’s been run for an hour, two three, four e.t.c... However, the cabinet is completely open at the back and because it's positioned at an angle in the corner of the room, there's a good few inches of space between that and the wall(s) it's up against. That's probably helped a lot…

Pedro funk

If I add a player to my friends list, does that player need to except the request before they are added to MY friends list?

sparkblade14

Yeah, I think so. I added my friend and he didn't show up on my list until he accepted.

As for the overheating thing, I've never had any heating problems. I keep mine in a cabinet next to a radio and I haven't had any overheating problems. The new consoles run A LOT cooler than the last gen ones. They run quieter too.

Bingo

My PS4 runs very cool, though that could be because I so rarely have it on.

My fat PS3 on the other hand, I could use to toast marshmallows.

Like others said, just be sure to give it plenty of room. I don't know if a sky box is like a cable box, but my cable dvr/cable box gets plenty hot in and of itself.

IrishLad

My PS4 runs a lot cooler than my Ps3 does, I can barely feel any heat at all off it. I can feel heat coming off my PS3, but I've never had any problems with it. I keep both of my consoles in a safe place, so they aren't really in any danger of overheating anyway.

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
My PS4 runs very cool, though that could be because I so rarely have it on.
laughter_lol_animation_smiley.gif

deathbyprayer

So far I haven't had problems with the temperature of my PS4. But the thing is mate, everything overheats if there's not enough room for ventilation. If you're playing your PS4 or Xbox in a confined space with no room for air to circulate properly then it will overheat. Just make sure than the heat vents of the console aren't blocked off or better yet get some fans point it at the damned console.

insertkittyface

Everything can overheat. I haven't had any problems with it, but just make sure to keep it in an open space.. and if you're really worried, have a box fan blowing air on it to keep it a little cooler. My room is AC'd so that could have something to do with it too, I guess.

Ciel

See-Elle
I have noticed that mine gets hot to the touch, but does not overheat. It has been pretty hot here the past week or so--Chicago is a nasty place to live for various reasons. I have had it on for a good portion of today, however, and it has been nice and... normal. As everyone is saying, everything overheats. The Xbox 360s of the past just happened to do it frequently...

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements