• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

No PSN+ subscription required for Elder Scrolls Online

jstep7262

However, it's now been confirmed that PS4 owners will only be required to pay the same monthly subscription associated with The Elder Scrolls Online that PC and Mac users will pay.

Conversely, Microsoft has confirmed to Joystiq that the Xbox One version will require an Xbox Live Gold subscription to play.

Take that Xbox! I definitely think that this is a win for Sony. Wonder why they are requiring XBL Gold subscriptions for Xbox users in order to play though? The article makes it sound like Bethesda wanted the only fee to be the monthly fee all around. I wonder if Microsoft made the decision to make it available only to gold members? Either way, yay Playstation! How many of you guys plan on playing this? Are you going to play on the PC/Mac or do you plan on playing on your PS4? I'm thinking that I may end up getting this for my Mac, only because I can't imagine playing an MMO on a console.

Source: CVG

orz

So how exactly does this work? Obviously you'd still need to pay a monthly fee? Even then I can't imagine anyone playing a MMO on a console, reckon most people keen on this (myself included) will be picking this up on PC.

jstep7262

So how exactly does this work? Obviously you'd still need to pay a monthly fee? Even then I can't imagine anyone playing a MMO on a console, reckon most people keen on this (myself included) will be picking this up on PC.

I'm guessing you would purchase time similar to WoW and either pay online or redeem a code for more time?

daimashin

I'd rather have PS+ and not required to pay a monthly fee. Any game that requires additional money is out of consideration for me. Xbox is even more money sucking, need Gold subscription and pay a monthly fee. That's mighty costly if you ask me, that's not counting the in-game purchases. Just thinking about it is ridiculous.

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
Yeah,no way I would pay a fee when Im already paying for PS+.
That why most publishers (or all?) have dropped the online pass thing,cause if you bought a 2nd hand game and the online code was used,you'd have to pay for one.
While this was bad enough on PS3,at least we had online for free,NO WAY would people stand for it on PS4 when you need to pay for online MP competitive play anyway.
Thats almost like double dipping.

MxA_BWOMP

The only way you can play online with Xbox is if you have a gold live membership. If you have their silver (free) one, you can only do updates to your console and play offline single player games. I had a total of three xboxes in my house (one for me and 2 for my kids, and was paying $100 per year so we could all play together). I am looking into getting them a PS3 and a Vita so we can use my PS+ acct on all 3 systems. Another major reason why I made the switch to PlayStation.

corporatenoun

Honestly I think Sony made the mistake of PSN+ being subscription-based in the first place. It's just good news that some games won't be affected. I wouldn't exactly call this a win for Sony, more a win for TES.

daimashin

At least Sony leave it to the publisher to decide whether their games require PS+ to play online unlike Microsoft that makes it compulsory for every single game. Some games that don't offer competitive multiplayer also require you to have Gold to excess online stuff. In this case, Sony allowed Bethesda to open TES online to non PS+ members. Something not possible on the Xbox.

KMJ_84

I know they've mentioned that there will be a subscription for this, but maybe in the future they could offer a free to play package, just like DCUO started out.

Originally it was £9.99 a month (or $14.99) but that was wavered, obviously you can still pay money to get better gear etc, but if the audience numbers are not as great as expected due to the monthly cost than maybe ESO could turn free.

The Unlosing Ranger

Mighty Strike-Out Slugger
I know they've mentioned that there will be a subscription for this, but maybe in the future they could offer a free to play package, just like DCUO started out.

Originally it was £9.99 a month (or $14.99) but that was wavered, obviously you can still pay money to get better gear etc, but if the audience numbers are not as great as expected due to the monthly cost than maybe ESO could turn free.

I think all MMORPGs are destined to become free to play eventually so I think it will happen to TES Online too, unless thay really get enough subscribers to stick with it... which I doubt.

QuestFerret

I might have tried it if not for the monthly subscription. Anything that costs to play after the initial purchase is dead to me, however interesting it may look. Fingers crossed it goes free to play before long

SpaceTiger

I can see ESO going F2P eventually--six months to a year--and offering reduced subscription setup for special gear, quests, etc. They're going to find some way to get that money given the time and resources poured into it that could've gone to Fallout 4. They could get some cash on expansions (not DLC, but ultra DLC).

Tomba

I'm definitely picking this up. I don't usually pick up games very often, I play a few for a long, long ass time so the price of one game would carry me for four months roughly.

Razor

I might get TESO. I'd prefer it was F2P, but it's kind of too good to pass up. All those updates really reel me in.

Tomba

Bethesda has been putting out the best sprinkling of updates of any studio. They're doing good at hyping this game.

swagger

This is good to hear, hopefully it'll bring more people to the game. Doesn't affect me necessarily, considering I have PS+.

NuclearDragon

Bethesda has been putting out the best sprinkling of updates of any studio. They're doing good at hyping this game.

That's true. While I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077, CD Projekt RED have a long way to go and updates probably won't be as frequent as they should be, but they're providing Witcher 3 updates very nicely. I'd put the hype on par with Bethesda's.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements