• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

No DLNA Support on PS4....

dean290000

Why on earth wouldn't they support DLNA on this system?
I have 4 NASes that used to stream to my PS3. I really hope Sony adds the capabilities to play DNLA media in future firmware upgrades.

I also hope they add HBO2Go for straming! I could get rid of my Roku for streaming HBO, Netflix, etc. and get rid of my Asus multimedia playback device and my Roku Straming Box.

It may be Sony is trying to get people t0o buy movies and mp3s through their stress but not work as people will just other devices.

This is the price us early adopters get forbuying the PS4 at launch!

dieselfit

Yes I don't think they are going to give you everything at once with the PS4. They will want to maximize the profits so I guess they will make you pay more for the streaming. We'll see!

DPatel304

Yeah, I found it odd that they aren't supporting it, seeing as how the PS3 supported it. But remember the PS3 at launch? There was a lot it didn't support and then they added stuff with firmware upgrades. I'm sure DLNA support will be one of the things they'll add.

I hope so, because I've got a NAS box that I use to stream videos from in my house.

sidd230

Streaming through the PS4 you'd be able to see when your friends log in and accept/join game requests pretty seamlessly. As it stands now you need to stream your media through another device (roku, ATV, WDTV etc) and you'll miss out on gaming opportunities with friends.
There is no consumer friendly reason not to have DLNA support. If the service is coming soon and just not ready Sony should say so. If they aren't implementing it ever because they want you to buy their video services that is a pretty crappy reason.

dean290000

There is no consumer friendly reason not to have DLNA support. If the service is coming soon and just not ready Sony should say so. If they aren't implementing it ever because they want you to buy their video services that is a pretty crappy reason.
I cant see this as most consumers will just use another device to stream video. I would think it would be in Sony's interest to support DNLA and also bring in popular channels like HBO2GO, Watch ESPN, etc. It keeps people on the PS3. Sony is going to lose revenue if people have ROKU boxes because people will purchase items through their streaming boxes and Sony will get no cut.

I was not an early adopter of the PS3 because it was just too expensive at launch. The PS4 is priced right but the lack of streaming does make it feel like a downgrade. However, I stopped using the PS3 for streaming when Sony decided not to support .MKV containers.

I really dislike the fact that you cant even play mp3s on it though. I have it hooked up to the home receiver and I liked the way the PS3 played music via DNLA and would show the earth views.

CpmPanda

Why would they take away stuff people are used to? Things everyone loves? I guess it would be worse if they rid of netflix and hulu plus.

dean290000

Why would they take away stuff people are used to? Things everyone loves? I guess it would be worse if they rid of netflix and hulu plus.
My only concern is that Sony has not made any type of announcement on the DLNA. I chose the PS3 over the 360 for a variety of reasons but one of them is the way that Microsoft always charged more for things. You had to have the Xbox Gold in order to play online where Sony allowed you to play online for free. I could list a lot of things such as Microsoft requiring you to buy the hard drive through them, the fact that the controller that came with the system did not come with a rechargeable battery pack.

Also, there was the fact that Sony has marketed their console since the PS2 as the whole home entertainment center. They have not done as good of job on the PS4 as the Xbone will allow you control your cable box and such.

It is also bizarre to me that Sony even dropped the BD 3D support with the release of the PS4. I have a Sony 3D television and the truth is that we never use the 3D as it is still more of a gimmick and no one wants to wear 3d glasses in the house specially when people are walking in and out of the living room. However, it is very strange that Sony left support for playing 3D movies out of the Bluray player this time.3

I think Sony should create a list of features that the PS4 has now and ones that it plans on adding with firmware upgrades. It would be nice to know what items the PS4 will support.

Dean

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Frantic PS4 getting DLNA and MP3 Support PlayStation 4 2
AvalonX About Sony's MP3, CD, DLNA support for PS4 PlayStation 4 12
L PS4 as a DLNA device PlayStation 4 3
C Your router might not support ip fragmentation and online input lag! PlayStation 4 0
Dmadman72 External support is coming PlayStation 4 28
D HDR signal support for PSVR PlayStation VR 0
O Original PS4 support Ultra 4k? PlayStation 4 3
Oberon 8 PS2 games arrive on PS4 with 1080P/Trophy Support PlayStation 4 5
iamthenight90 ps4 finally gets theme support. PlayStation 4 19
daimashin Is Diablo 3 going to support cross save? PlayStation 4 9
Oberon PS4 Update 1.75 Now Available,adds 3D support/auto downloads & notifications changed PlayStation 4 2
Oberon PS4 MP3/Video player support coming PlayStation 4 8
Haze PS4 Update 1.75 coming next week - 3D Blu-Ray support! PlayStation 4 8
WackoDaSniper Driveclub Has No Clutch Support and No Horns; Can Drive With a Wheel from the Get Go PlayStation 4 1
Oberon Microsoft ends XP support Off Topic Lounge 4
AB9100 PS4 does not support media playback! PlayStation 4 9
KMJ_84 PS4 to get PSone and PS2 support with native 1080p rendering, new VR demos inbound PlayStation 4 1
KMJ_84 Unity 4.3 gets Vita support, available now PlayStation Vita 1
S No 3D blu-ray or MP3 playback support on the PS4? PlayStation 4 13
daimashin Will Sony ever enable external hdd support? PlayStation 4 16
L What are some good PS4 headsets that support BF4 surround? PlayStation 4 21
H Sony reports Wireless headset support coming soon PlayStation 4 9
Frantic PS4 has Blu Ray 3D Support at Launch. Xbox One doesn't PlayStation 4 9
DrRipley PS4 Won't Support External Hard Drives? What? PlayStation 4 15
Joel PS 4 Doesn't Support Blue Tooth Headsets... PlayStation 4 13
B PS4 Will support External Capture Card Recording via HDMI! PlayStation 4 13
Jaymun Do you think online play will support more players on ps4? PlayStation 4 19
B Will PS4 support capture cards? PlayStation 4 20
Haze PS4 will support up to four controllers at once! PlayStation 4 7
NatureSun Xbox One to Support 8 Controllers at Once Xbox 8
Oberon PS4 will support cross-platform party chat PlayStation 4 13
Clark Wayne Titanfall does not support cross-platform play between Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC Xbox 7
N Keyboard + Mouse Support PlayStation 4 5
fantanoice Mobile Support Feedback & Suggestions 4
Clark Wayne Xbox One Will Support Gameplay Capture Devices Xbox 6
RockSauron PS4 Will support up to 2000 Friends PlayStation 4 4
Clark Wayne Update support will continue for Xbox 360 version of Minecraft Xbox 0
O PS4 will support PS3 headsets PlayStation 4 4
razuto Japanese vita games that support Furigana over Kanji? PlayStation Vita 2
A Gta sa ps4 PlayStation 4 1
Nero354 Selling accounts for PS4/PS3 PlayStation 4 1
E [PS4 Beginner] Tips and easy games to learn & build skills for Action-Adventure PlayStation 4 0
V Any gamepads compatible with PS4 Remote Play on Android 9? PlayStation 4 0
D Can anyone answer some questions about the performance of your PS4 PlayStation 4 3
A Nfs rivals ps4 loaded garage pack PlayStation 4 0
B PS4 Turns On and Off again in a second, light goes blue once. PlayStation 4 1
L ps4 PlayStation 4 4
D Ps4 Guitars PlayStation 4 0
V "Error" message related to 2 PS4 on one PSN main user PlayStation 4 0
D PS4 Controller flashing White but not connecting. HELP!!!! PlayStation 4 0