• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

New Sony PS4 and PS3 Headset Has 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound,$70

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
image.jpg

Nothing to say here,just read below for more info:

Gamespot said:
Today, Sony announced a new gaming headset for the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 (or really anything, given it uses a 3.5mm jack), and you won't have to wait too long to get your hands on it. The $70 headset launches this fall.

The headset (above) includes 7.1 virtual surround sound, support for custom audio modes created by developers, a retractable boom mic for voice chat, breathable ear cushions, and in-line volume and mic controls. Sony also says the headset features a lightweight design to keep you comfortable during extended gaming sessions.

Source

Ciel

See-Elle
Ugh, another headset? I will still probably end up going with Golds when mine breaks--if it ever does.

ReDGuNNeR

These virtual surround solutions do not hold a candle to any real surround sound setup. They are very nice for gaming, especially being able to position where the enemy's footsteps or line-of-fire may be, but they should never be looked at as a replacement for quality surround sound. Those ear muffs are rather huge, I wonder if its comfortable after being in your head for a long period of time.

I did like some 7.1's for the Xbox360 and I am looking forward to these as there is not really any good ones made specifically for the PS4 yet.

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
These virtual surround solutions do not hold a candle to any real surround sound setup.
You are still referring to gaming headsets with true surround sound right? Not surround sound speakers places around the room?

ReDGuNNeR

Ah, I misspoke or didn't make my thoughts clear enough. I have used "true" surround sound gaming headsets (Mostly Tritton's products from last generation) and while not 100% comparable to a true physical setup, the sound was very easy to discern where it was coming from. Multiple sound sources cannot be discerned as easily using virtual surround. It's a nice way to fake it, but for a couple of more bucks (Okay more than a few more bucks for a quality 7.1 headset ) you can get a non-virtual solution that you will enjoy ALOT more.

Of course, audio is very suggestive so the best thing to do is find a place where you can demo these. It sucks that mostly means having to wait for a friend to get one.

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
Was only asking as I too use a 'True Surround' headset. Mine's a Sharkoon XTatic Digital 5.1.

pleirosei

Those look pretty good. I haven't bought a decent gaming headset in such a long time. Last pair I owned was for PC gaming from steel series, and they were spectacular. I should purchase some headphones for the Playstation 4 just in time for these new basketball games coming out this Fall

troutski

I just use cheap, basic headsets for gaming. I'm good enough to compensate for the lack of surround sound in most cases. I have owned a few pairs of higher end Turtle Beach headsets, but I don't know. I like sticking to the basics and just being able to hear the game at a decent quality, even in multiplayer games. Then again, I have a friend who spend hundreds of dollars on a gaming headset, and I think he's crazy.

RobDaCool

I just use the PS Gold Headset; they seem to do the trick.

I just use cheap, basic headsets for gaming. I'm good enough to compensate for the lack of surround sound in most cases. I have owned a few pairs of higher end Turtle Beach headsets, but I don't know. I like sticking to the basics and just being able to hear the game at a decent quality, even in multiplayer games. Then again, I have a friend who spend hundreds of dollars on a gaming headset, and I think he's crazy.

I used cheap ones until I got the Gold Headset lol

I remember when expensive headsets where like $50 -then someone in marketing had the brilliant idea to tell gamers their headsets give them an edge in gaming...now those $50 headsets are $200 or more