• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Legacy Of The Playstation Franchise

dannyboy

How do you feel about the overall legacy of the Playstation franchise? How would you rate its success and its impact in the owrld of gaming over the past 18 years?

Dame6089

They are arguably the second most significant gaming company being Nintendo. Nintendo literally saved the gaming industry in the 80's so no arguing that with me. Sega and Atari definitely made an impact on the industry, but Sony is still making an impact and is as relevant as ever. Not many companies can say that they stayed in the console business for that long.

lindbergh

Nintendo saved the video game industry. Sony made it competitive.

Though Nintendo has a more decorated history when it comes to video game consoles, Sony quickly made its mark and did not wilt despite the heavy competition. In fact, Sony is now my favorite manufacturer when it comes to video game consoles.

BlackSolaris

Professional Escapologist
They manage to create and pull a lot of companies to make too many great titles and series to even name them all. I am pretty sure that from the PS1 to the PS3 there is at least 150+ titles that everyone should play because there is a little of everything for everyone.

Annetteb

I think Sony brought the competitive edge to gaming console that were lost after Sega stopped making games. When the PlayStation came out everyone was ready for a cinsole that brought something for every gamer to the table. Sony delivered and they have been going strong ever since. Nintendo and Xbox have hung in there but Sony has begun to surpass them greatly. They know what the gamer wants in a game and they try to give that gamer what they want with good results. I will admit that they have some games that were not good, but that has not deterred them from improving and making better games. I look forward to what Sony will continue to do in the future.

Dame6089

Nintendo saved the video game industry. Sony made it competitive.

Though Nintendo has a more decorated history when it comes to video game consoles, Sony quickly made its mark and did not wilt despite the heavy competition. In fact, Sony is now my favorite manufacturer when it comes to video game consoles.

That is a fair point considering that the Sega Saturn did not perform nearly as well as the N64 and the Dreamcast under performed. If Sony did not come around, Nintendo would have had a pseudo monopoly on the industry. Competition always brings the best out in companies, so I am happy that Sony is around.

DrRipley

I agree with our members here that it will probably never equal Nintendo in terms of impact, but that's only because Nintendo peaked at a different time, and being the pioneer of modern gaming, it would take Sony twice the amount of contribution to even hope of equalling said achievement. They are a good company and brand, though, and they have given the world so many games in such a short amount of time and have made many people happy, and to me that's mostly all that counts.

Annetteb

I am glad Sony is here and that it will be around for many years to come. They have done so much with their consoles and games that I see a lot of good things to come in the future.

nataliejustice

I am not really sure how to answer that honestly. Both them and Nintendo have a lot of ground breaking work in video games and technology. XBOX is great but not as good as PS in my opinion. I feel like I have seen more growth within the PS legacy verses XBOX. The new XBOX one looks quite disappointing in comparison to the PS4

Annetteb

I agree that xbox has not been bringing enough good features or games so far. I'm not saying they are not going to pick up, they might be able to bring in re sales after e.xbox ome comes out. I don't think they will, because I don't see that many good games coming out for the xbox. I have seen more progress with ps than xbox.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements