• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Join the movement #PS4NODRM

AvalonX

So it turns out Sony may not be so innocent. The rumors have gotten heavy that they will have a similar restriction on used games. Piracy aside this is a move against the consumer and will no doubt impact the way we purchase our games. I am going to borrow some info from other sites so you can get to Twitter:

I cannot post links but the people you need to tweet are easy to find on google. Hastags #PS4NoDRM #PS4USEDGAMES

Haze

I figured this would happen when Microsoft came out with their used game restrictions. Which is a pity, because if Sony didn't do this, the console war would of been won there and then (even though I don't believe in "Console wars" and think it's ridiculous)

AvalonX

I figured this would happen when Microsoft came out with their used game restrictions. Which is a pity, because if Sony didn't do this, the console war would of been won there and then (even though I don't believe in "Console wars" and think it's ridiculous)

It would have given them a huge boost no doubt. Obviously this is a long time debate. Does the publisher have rights to the game after is has sold versus taking away consumer rights. I fear that if this comes to pass we might see a real backlash in gaming.

BilboSwaggins

I saw this on Reddit last night and from what I gathered, nothing has been set in stone yet. This movement is just asking Sony to commit to doing the right thing for consumers. I don't think it's time for despair yet, but I wouldn't hold my breath for Sony to announce no DRM either.

RaggaJungle

Really? that's so annoying. Sony must know that this is going to annoy a lot of gamers, and I don't see why the have to follow in Microsoft's shoes on this one. The console war would have definitely been won there and then if Sony hadn't implemented this. I suppose it's all about profit.

BlackSolaris

Professional Escapologist
If Sony is smart enough to see how people are reacting to the shortcomings of it's rival, they will pull that kind of crap with their next gen system.
Of course, lately companies are being a little thick headed, and everyone is taking bad decisions.

8bitpenguin

This "battle against piracy" should not be fought by restricting the service of consumers, it doesn't work because paying customers don't like to be cheated. It's that simple. It has been proven time and time again, with both Netflix and Steam for example, that by offering a great service to consumers at a reasonable price, piracy plummets. These DRM restrictions have shown to be nothing but harmful to both consumers and sales, ironically the only ones usually unaffected are the pirates.

Haze

This "battle against piracy" should not be fought by restricting the service of consumers, it doesn't work because paying customers don't like to be cheated. It's that simple. It has been proven time and time again, with both Netflix and Steam for example, that by offering a great service to consumers at a reasonable price, piracy plummets. These DRM restrictions have shown to be nothing but harmful to both consumers and sales, ironically the only ones usually unaffected are the pirates.

Completely agree with you!

DrRipley

If they decide to do away with this altogether, I bet they will hands down win this generation's war. I think they really should hold off on doing this until the next generation, at least when technology and certain business/digital structures have caught up and become standard. Forcing it into the system we have now just makes no sense to me.

andyred

The only problem we have is that most of the Game Creators and Piracy Organisations will be pushing Sony to make it DRM.
They think it will be the best way to stop Piracy and cut out on the money they are loosing out by it, which they think will go back into their pockets.
However it just means people who pirate because they can't afford the game won't be able to play so the overall play rate of games in the future will drop and drop. Less people playing, less people talking about the game, so in turn less people buying it.

Lokitns

Yeah, saw this too and was utterly pissed. I was already NOT going to get a X1 because of the DRM, and now Sony is debating it as well. That's one of the things that made the current gen's great. I love going back and playing my older games that were amazing, like Oni, GTA:SA, etc.

AvalonX

I mean, one thing about the Xbox One DRM that nobody is talking about is what happens when those servers go offline? It becomes a brick when eventually they put the console down then what? So I am never going to be able to play those games. Hopefully Sony smartens up. Imagine the lead they can jump out to.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements