• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Japan kinda interested in next-gen

Legendoflore

I found this a bit interesting. As we all know the PS4 and Xbox One are both coming out in Japan in this year. In fact Japan gets the PS4 in Feb. One interesting thing is that some gamers in Japan are importing the consoles at $700 dollars. Of course I'm not 100% sure that these gamers aren't also made up of foreigners living in Japan because I have friends there that have done this. One thing is that consoles aren't the main gaming platform in Japan and haven't been for years. The majority of games and gamers are handheld fans and are all about the 3Ds though the Vita does have it's fans. Still it's nice to see consoles getting attention in Japan. Except I hope that Microsoft isn't getting to excited because Japan still doesn't care.

Japan and Next-gen[/URL]

Stuck_X_Button

Japan will never care about Xbox. It's odd that Microsoft keep trying to get it over in Japan when it's obvious that this is a market that simply doesn't care enough and Microsoft aren't really advertising it towards that market. You can't dump NFL, Doritos, and Mountain Dew in your console and expect it to catch on like wildfire outside the U.S.

It has to lean more toward market neutrality like PlayStation and the Nintendo consoles always have.

Ghost_of_Crash

Market neutrality has always worked for Nintendo and Sony, like there are obviously games that will be for more for the Japanese market than the west and have varying degrees of success (RPGs) and vice versa, but the console itself has always been put out as neutral to cultural and regional demographics on the surface.

Stuck_X_Button

That said, I think Japan will be a little more excited about this generation when more games come out. I think it's that here we get extremely excited about anything new and that new stuff gets hyped to the moon even if there's very little to supplement that new stuff that will show that it is in fact new.

SpaceTiger

It really depends on what's being released that catches on there. Very good points on market neutrality with consoles. Bandai or Atari attempting another run at consoles could probably take off better than X1 in Japan given those sales. Sega could probably get it done with a handheld over X1 in Japan.

lucas5987

RPGS! We need em, japans got em. I hope they get more and more interested and start dishing out rpgs like the glory days of psone and 2.

baracksyndel

Japan will never be interested in the Xbox One because Microsoft just doesn't understand how to market to them. They need to focus on how Nintendo and Sony market because that's the only way they might be able to start making in-roads in that market. The PS4 will do great, and the Wii U is finally really selling in Japan because they are releasing more games. Once Mario Kart, Bayonetta, and they finally announce the new Zelda Nintendo will do a lot better. Microsoft would be better off creating a handheld, since like LegendofLore said the Japanese are more handheld gamers.

SpaceTiger

That's true, you really have to run different commercials that catch on with a particular market. There's no one size fits all commercial for all markets and just a part of marketing to Japan or anywhere for that matter. Like Nintendo, Sony, and even Sega at the time had different approaches to advertising depending on the location. Like Sega's commercials in Japan during the competitive period against Nintendo were somewhat similar to Nintendo's whereas in the U.S and I want to say UK and Europe the approach was more in your face.

Microsoft would do better putting a handheld out in Japan, since it might pique their interest in the Xbox brand, but if it smells more like a mini-entertainment hub that can play games than a gaming handheld that can connect to streaming media then it'll fall flat.

WarriorSoldier

Sony + Japan = WIN. I visited Japan last year, and the year before that. I didn't see one Xbox ad, I saw 4 ps3 ads though and vita. I saw at least 10 people playing vitas on the bullet train. It was remarkable how important gaming is in japan. From arcades to booths where you can play console games.

sidd230

The Xbox will never sell in Japan. Main reason being lack of good japanese titles. Also, Japanese people are over patriotic and will always buy Sony products first.

Linkzelda41

RPGS! We need em, japans got em. I hope they get more and more interested and start dishing out rpgs like the glory days of psone and 2.

I agree to this and can empathize with you. I remember when there were petitions to get Xenoblade Chronicles sold in other regions, and it’s really all about knowing social trends with certain genres that will give consoles some kind of hype in Japan.

But it makes sense how handheld systems are more popular considering many factors like the faster paced lifestyle with more population density in a smaller region compared to other areas. And RPGs tend to have some kind of belonging with handhelds more because 2D would prosper more to sustain the traditional pattern.

As for the original post, there may be some interest, but it’ll just be a:

“1080p? Graphics are 9.5/10 and kind of like Phantasy Star? It’s an okay game…”

courageoflions

I'm actually not a handheld fan, as I prefer large games with intense visuals and complicated simulations. I'm very excited for VR and what it might bring and have always been of the opinion that handheld games impede progress and slow down technological innovation.

baracksyndel

True the Japanese are very patriotic and very defensive of their home based products which is why Sony and Nintendo always beat Microsoft. But that doesn't mean that Microsoft can't do some business there. What they need to do is figure out a way to make the Xbox One a little less, and I hate saying this, western. Other western products have done well in Japan because they've figured out a way to market to the Japanese by changing themselves to fit the culture. McDonald's, KFC, and Coca-Cola have all figured it out and are dominating over Japanese brands because they've tailored their image and the taste to fit Japan.

SpaceTiger

I don't know, I'd like to say they actually learned. You know, third time's a charm and they aggressively advertise for Japan (and China). If they don't get it done this time, I'd say go with that rumor that was bouncing around during the summer--that Microsoft wouldn't release Xbox One in Japan.

sidd230

True the Japanese are very patriotic and very defensive of their home based products which is why Sony and Nintendo always beat Microsoft. But that doesn't mean that Microsoft can't do some business there. What they need to do is figure out a way to make the Xbox One a little less, and I hate saying this, western. Other western products have done well in Japan because they've figured out a way to market to the Japanese by changing themselves to fit the culture. McDonald's, KFC, and Coca-Cola have all figured it out and are dominating over Japanese brands because they've tailored their image and the taste to fit Japan.

But you have to agree, Microsoft has never been good at marketing. infact, they are extraordinarily bad at it. That combined with Japanese people's hate for foreign products makes the Xbox one dead in Japan.

Stuck_X_Button

I don't know, I'd like to say they actually learned. You know, third time's a charm and they aggressively advertise for Japan (and China). If they don't get it done this time, I'd say go with that rumor that was bouncing around during the summer--that Microsoft wouldn't release Xbox One in Japan.

I don't see Microsoft getting it done this time.

Tomba

Ehh...I don't either. I don't see them doing it in China unless they deliver a flurry of non-FPS and titles that just aren't steeped in western culture or something. If they do they'll have to come harder than Sony and Nintendo with their advertising. Like it would have to be what they need to do with Japan and then some.

SpaceTiger

I don't know, China might take to FPS. Unfortunately those are easier to put on the banning block. Microsoft would need to deliver something like platformers, racing games, and sports titles--which they have and will have an abundance of thanks to EA (sports games that is). Basically safe games that could be banned if they wanted them banned, but would be less likely to be banned.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements