• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Jack Tretton talks about competing with Steam Box

dragoonblade

We still don't know all that much about the Steambox, and I want Sony to focus only on fixing the Ps4's issues for right now but Jack Tretton has come out and stated that one of SCE's major goals is to compete with the Steambox. He also mentioned the Ouya, but no one cares about that console so I don't see the point. Maybe he mentioned the Ouya because it's setting itself up as the home of the indies? Anyway check out the full article.

Jack Tretton and PS4's future

SpiralArchitect

Steambox? Ouya? This is like Steven Spielberg saying he is competing with David Lynch at the box office. Sure Lynch makes good movies but he's not going to make a dent on Spielberg's market. Same goes for these 2 consoles.

Dark Septagon

The Tru7h is Darker
The problem is with the economy and amount of different consoles hitting the market even if they can not compete with the Playstation these "other" consoles will take sales that "if not there" would result in probable purchase from Sony or Microsoft. There is nothing Sony can do to prevent this, but they certainly will try to stay in the spotlight

BlackSolaris

Professional Escapologist
I think they are trying to hit the wrong market when trying to compete with Steam Box. There is no true competition when it comes to Steam and their stuff, they are doing their thing away from the console wars.
What they really need is to focus on their own console instead of competing.

baracksyndel

There is no real competition with the Ouya, that console is barely treading water right now. Steam is absolutely doing it's own thing and the Steam faithful will purchase the device but unless Sony is planning on have their own steam like sales then it's not worth the competition. I totally agree that the best thing for Sony is to focus on the PS4 and not make promises that they can't reasonbly keep when it comes to Steam.

DrRipley

I think he responded very well, and I agree with most of his points. I don't think PC gaming will overtake console gaming any time soon, but honestly I feel like we are at the point wherein both are almost identical now, and that alone makes me think that PC gaming (via Steambox / something similar) at the very least has more of a solid chance of gaining a more significant market share now more than ever.

RobDaCool

Steambox will probably be a fortune!

Then again its made my Valve, it could be $4000 and play no games and people will still love it.

MegaZero

Due to the fact that the Steambox is produced by Valve, TONS of people will play it due to the amount of fans they have. But honestly, I think that if there was a competition, steam box would totally take gold because at the moment, more people are starting to turn from Console gaming into PC gaming due to the release of games.

Other then that, I bid the best to both of them because I really LOVE both of them!

jbepp

I honestly think the Steambox is not going to be a threat to the PS4 or even the X1. Lots of people buy the consoles mostly for their exclusives or because consoles are "hassle free". PC gamers will prefer to use a Keyboard and Mouse and they will most likely not buy a prebuilt PC. I play both consoles and PC, and I like both for different reasons.

baracksyndel

I don't think that the Steambox itself is a threat to either the PS4 or Xbox One. Will the Steambox do well, yes if it works like Steam and has access to the sales. But is it a threat to consoles? No at least not right now, it depends on how well the console fans embrace it, if the casual market embraces it, and where it's at in a year. It'll do better than the Ouya but I don't see it breaking records.

sidd230

I am just happy that SteamBox is a step forward into the Linux revolution. I hope this changes the gaming scenario on Linux.

Legendoflore

I always like more competition in the console wars and like the fact that the Steambox exists. Depending on how successful it is, maybe the big three will consider adapting their store models and making their pricing more competitive. Unlike the Ouya, I think that the Steambox has a really good chance of making an impact on the gaming market.

The Unlosing Ranger

Mighty Strike-Out Slugger
Steambox is one of the most unappealing things I've ever seen. It doesn't seem good for either PC gamers (they would already have a good gaming PC, after all) or for console gamers (it isn't as easy to set up as a console). It's right in the middle between PCs and consoles and while they say that's the point and what makes it great, I feel that that's what makes it pointless.

DPatel304

I think they are trying to hit the wrong market when trying to compete with Steam Box. There is no true competition when it comes to Steam and their stuff, they are doing their thing away from the console wars.
What they really need is to focus on their own console instead of competing.

Agreed. Their main focus should be the X1, which, IMO, they are doing a good job with at the moment, but MS has deep pockets and if they feel like the Xbox brand is worth it, they will fight the good fight all generation if they have to.

Legendoflore

It really depends on how they market it. I doubt that Steam/Valve is thinking that this is going to be a huge console buster but I could potentially see a way for this to work. None of us have seen the Steambox or tried out the functionality and until I hear otherwise I'm hoping for the best. I want this thing to work out, if only to push more consumer friendliness from the Big 3 (well mostly Microsoft).

DPatel304

It really depends on how they market it. I doubt that Steam/Valve is thinking that this is going to be a huge console buster but I could potentially see a way for this to work. None of us have seen the Steambox or tried out the functionality and until I hear otherwise I'm hoping for the best. I want this thing to work out, if only to push more consumer friendliness from the Big 3 (well mostly Microsoft).

I agree. I don't think the Steambox will be a bad thing. I want the gaming industry to continue to expand. When Sony entered it, we saw expansion and innovation. Same with MS. Same when Nintendo decided to target a new demograph. We need the industry to continually expand and, while I can't guarantee the Steambox will do that, I like that others are trying to get in on the piece.

baracksyndel

I'd like to see the big 3 toy with a steam like system. As long as the service was stuck on the PC there was no way that we were going to see anything like Steam. That's not saying that I don't enjoy the benefits of having a PSN account but one of the things that Microsoft was trying to push (and failing to convince us of) was the fact that they were going to create a Steam like service. I'm rooting for the Steam box because I want the service of all three consoles to be better and the Ouya isn't going to do it.

CpmPanda

Steambox? Ouya? This is like Steven Spielberg saying he is competing with David Lynch at the box office. Sure Lynch makes good movies but he's not going to make a dent on Spielberg's market. Same goes for these 2 consoles.

This is what I was thinking when reading the article. You guys know those generic colas? They can't compete with coca cola at all. SO I wouldn't worry unless steambox does something so epic and incredible everyone in the world's jaw drops.

hellsing006

I'm not going to write off the Steambox just yet. Unlike the Ouya, which really had no audience and didn't capitalize on it's price or on the indie game base, Steam/Valve actually knows how to build an audience. Sure their primary source is PC users but we won't know how the console market will respond to it. Until I hear something negative about it I'm optomistic that unlike the Ouya team Valve can make this work.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements