• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

If you buy games based on ratings, why?

OniBlackMage

RPG Ambassador
I ask this question sincerely, with no sarcasm. Speaking for myself, I don't trust any source to suggest to me what I will or won't enjoy. I don't care about what other people think of a game over what I personally do once I play it. If I play it and like it or not, then I know, and no one knows me better than me. I have played games no one has ever heard of, enjoyed them, and never looked up their score on Metacritic or looked up a 'professional' review of it. If I like something, that's good enough for me and I don't need justification.

Now, back to the question, I know some people who mainly buy the 'popular' games. highly rated games on commercial sites, or games that their favored critics recommend almost exclusively. If I may ask, WHY do you base your game choices that way? I'm not arguing or saying its wrong, I just question the preference.

Haze

I don't let reviews get in the way of my gaming. Sometimes if a game gets bad reviews, I'll be cautious but will most likely check the game out anyway and usually end up enjoying them (Naughty Bear and Medal of Honor: Warfighter are two classic examples with an honourable mention to Remember Me)

You should never let reviews get in the way of a game you're interested in. Everybody is different. Different people, different tastes!

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
I read various reviews sure,but you cant go on that alone,even if they try to be non biased.
For eg I know Skyrim is good and gets good reviews but its defo not for me.
Some games might get average reviews but you may like it more cause you might be into that sort of thing.

Mudgee

My name is Adam.
I mostly read suggestions from ign, but I base potential purchases on what the consumers review it as.

lindbergh

I highly depend on game reviews. Why? Because I find that most of the time, their taste fits mine too. Let's face it guys, reviews are also accurate. And if you see a game that is rated 1/10 by IGN, would you buy it? I don't think so. Could you think of a game that was rated below 5 that you actually enjoyed?

Mudgee

My name is Adam.
I highly depend on game reviews. Why? Because I find that most of the time, their taste fits mine too. Let's face it guys, reviews are also accurate. And if you see a game that is rated 1/10 by IGN, would you buy it? I don't think so. Could you think of a game that was rated below 5 that you actually enjoyed?

I agree here, ign is the soe reason I bought the last of us, 95% they're pretty spot on in my opinion.

fantanoice

I don't usually buy games 'based' on ratings seeing as companies actually pay journalism sites to get better reviews, not to mention the reviews themselves rarely give a good indication of how 'good' a game is when even 8/10's are mediocre at best. I usually only check them to know about what quirks and problems to look out for, but if I genuinely like the idea of a game then I'll still give it a go and make my own decision. Remember Me was probably the best example of me doing that and while it did have several problems, it had some really neat ideas that redeemed it.

Last edited:

Mudgee

My name is Adam.
As lindbergh said though, if metacritic and other boards give a review of 3/10, would you still be as compelled to buy it?

fantanoice

I would look for the problems outlined in the review and consider my purchase based on that, not the actual number at the end. Heck, for some titles I'd be willing to invest <$10 to both make my own decision and also analyse from a design perspective and analyse where they went wrong.

I think the most recent one I've been compelled to buy is Funky Barn and that's because of the funny posts on the Miiverse, and this is despite its unfavourable reviews.

Last edited:

fantanoice

I haven't played it so I am not sure. From what I've heard, the game isn't exactly terrible but it is lacking in content, and I guess if numbers mean anything to you then its had ratings of around 5/10 on various websites.

They've been selling it for around $8 at EB so I've been really tempted to make the gamble. :p

Last edited:

Medza

Ratings are absolute bullshit in the modern day and age. Traditionally 1 was absolutely terrible , 5 was average and 10 was like the best game ever made. But these days 10 just means good, and 8 means average. The numbers are totally arbitrary and have no meaning anymore. Look at the reviews for skyrim and you will pretty much see straight 10s everywhere, for what is essentially the most boring , repetitive and limited game in the Elder Scrolls series, this is just mad. Skyrim doesn't deserve more than a 7, it's a fine game and there are some good moments , but modern day reviews are just throwing 9's and 10's at every single game there is and it just looses it's meaning. The only reviews I watch are by TotalBiscuit because he doesn't use any rating system and he tells it as it is without any bullshit. This topic seriously drives me mad.

lindbergh

Still, ratings are a good basis if you would buy a game or not. We should take note that these ratings are based on OPINION and not outright true. If you have a trusted writer, then you could believe what he or she writes in the review. If you don't trust anybody, then just go with your gut feel and instinct. If you think Duke Nukem is a great game and deserves a 10, then so be it. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and everybody is not forced to believe the opinion of another.

But, would you like that all ratings and reviews of games be abolished if you don't like reviews? Would you rather have these sites who review games shut down? What would it be like if nobody ever reviewed games?

Mudgee

My name is Adam.
Still, ratings are a good basis if you would buy a game or not. We should take note that these ratings are based on OPINION and not outright true. If you have a trusted writer, then you could believe what he or she writes in the review. If you don't trust anybody, then just go with your gut feel and instinct. If you think Duke Nukem is a great game and deserves a 10, then so be it. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and everybody is not forced to believe the opinion of another.

But, would you like that all ratings and reviews of games be abolished if you don't like reviews? Would you rather have these sites who review games shut down? What would it be like if nobody ever reviewed games?

Exactly, find someone who is a trusted reviewer that has similar taste to you, and use it as a 'guide' only.

BlackSolaris

Professional Escapologist
The only reason i go to gametrailers and watch the reviews is to watch gameplay footage, maybe know what people think about it, but aside from that i never based my purchases in scores. Nier got a pretty bad score and it's one of my favorite games this generation, hell, God hand, one of my favorite games of all time got a horrible score, that alone makes me question every single review out there.
Also, bioshock infinite, not that good!

Mudgee

My name is Adam.
yes, i too didnt rate bioshock infinite, i think they overscored that one too much, same as Fez.

ozadin

It's sort of like buying a product because of their reviews. If they have bad reviews, I tend to avoid it since I don't want to waste my money. My money can be put to a better game, potentially an indie game dev to support them.

LuckyPupil

I think ratings are pretty important. If don't know if I really want a game I'll wait and see what others who have played it have to say. Why is that such a ridiculous thing to do?
In general, good games get good reviews and bad games get bad reviews. If Blops 2 gets a 9/10 it's a good game.

I think most gamers get pissed because they compare the game with other game's in the series and say stuff like "oh it's just like the last COD, this rating system is bull". You have to consider every review as a game that the reviewer has never seen or heard of. That's my best attempt at explaining why sequels that may not have been as good as past games are rated high.

brad

I always follow ratings you may say that they are bad but not if you use trustworthy sites, I remember looking at Brink and it was about 6/10 but i got it anyway and the rating was correct the game was poor it was not average it was awful. I sold it within 4 weeks.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements