• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

I need a new media player for my computer

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
I recently reinstalled Windows 7 (having way too many problems with my computer. Reinstall solved all of them :D ), but I'm without a media player. I used to use Winamp but I think its time for a new one. Especially since Winamp is no longer supported. I need something that plays my huge collection of MP3s as well as videos I have accumulated ranging from avis, mpegs and cell phone videos. Any suggestions?

Well I like iTunes. I come from 99% mac use, but use it on my PC as well. I like that it organizes my music collection, I hate having folders all over the place and iTunes does a great job at keeping it organized and in one place. No accidentally moving a folder and it can no longer find it. Easy to go through your entire collection of music, or make playlists, smart playlists for when you want specific things. It stores your movies as well, same was as it does your music, though the formats will be limiting compared to apps like VLC. I convert everything to mp4 anyways to work with my Apple eco system (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, multiple macs) and it works great. Good quality and the file sizes are not outrageous for a 1080p video. It runs fast on my PC, though people do complain about it being sluggish in windows, just not my experience. Could be because I am running an SSD.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
Well I like iTunes. I come from 99% mac use, but use it on my PC as well. I like that it organizes my music collection, I hate having folders all over the place and iTunes does a great job at keeping it organized and in one place. No accidentally moving a folder and it can no longer find it. Easy to go through your entire collection of music, or make playlists, smart playlists for when you want specific things. It stores your movies as well, same was as it does your music, though the formats will be limiting compared to apps like VLC. I convert everything to mp4 anyways to work with my Apple eco system (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, multiple macs) and it works great. Good quality and the file sizes are not outrageous for a 1080p video. It runs fast on my PC, though people do complain about it being sluggish in windows, just not my experience. Could be because I am running an SSD.
Probably should have mentioned not to suggest iTunes, lol. I hate Apple so very much.

I downloaded VLC. Pretty cool basic program with no frills. Does what I need it to. Miss my Winamp though. But I am starting to get used to VLC a little bit. What I liked about Winamp is it was organized in different ways. I could see the whole library or in another pane, I could see all the artists, click on the artist I wanted and it would be organized in all their albums or songs. I can't seem to figure out how to do that on VLC.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
Got curious and went on Winamp's website. Seems they changed ownership and are working on a comeback. When they release their player I think I'll give it a try and let you all know how it is. Always liked Winamp for my music. Not so much for video. Kinda sucked for that :) But VLC may have to be my video player. Works pretty well for it.

Not sure why you would "hate" any company. You may not like the product, but to move into the realm of hate and completely close yourself off to something that may actually be good is rather limiting. Your choice of course, but it makes no sense to me.

I did hear win amp was sold, so I am sure there will be some new updates coming along shortly. Was the last version if win amp not working correctly? Even if not support, if it works, why change?

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
Not sure why you would "hate" any company. You may not like the product, but to move into the realm of hate and completely close yourself off to something that may actually be good is rather limiting. Your choice of course, but it makes no sense to me.

I did hear win amp was sold, so I am sure there will be some new updates coming along shortly. Was the last version if win amp not working correctly? Even if not support, if it works, why change?
Don't get me wrong, they have done some great things (proliferation of MP3 players and the revolution of how we listen to music today, bringing the world the first GUI and affordable home computer. They were behind that). I use a Mac at work for Photoshop work and its great but I still hate using it. Much prefer Windows. Never liked playing with friends' iPhones. I prefer my Android and think its a much better operating system.

I don't agree with their business practices and policy of closing everything off. I don't see anything special about their operating systems and to build a computer system with the same components as any other computer with an operating system that has such a tight control and then charge almost double for said machine I do not agree with. I don't agree with them suing other companies either for their alleged patent infringement. I'm sorry. Certain features in technology are the norm and to sue because another company does it better and Apple vying to be the only game in town does nothing for the advancement of technology and only hurts the consumers and prohibits competition that would otherwise make technology better and cheaper. I just hate Apple's mentality. Steve Jobs was the embodiment of that. He was arrogant and egotistical. I think he even had said along the lines one time that he wanted to bury Google and make Apple the only game in town (something like that, not direct quote of course) and he wanted Samsung out of the phone market. How is that beneficial towards consumers? Agree with me or not, that is my opinion and that kind of mentality keeps me from buying their products. That's not just with Apple either, that's why I don't do business with a lot of other companies.

EDIT: To answer about winamp, apparently AOL sold it. Dunno why. Actually, I was more surprised to hear AOL was still around, lol. Guess they were just downsizing their corporate portfolio. They also didn't give it much support for the last few years. Glad it went to a company that was willing to keep the developers employed and willing to invest to make it better. And why change? I reinstalled Windows, don't have it and would rather have something that is supported, especially since Winamp didn't really keep up with new video and media formats.

Last edited:

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!