• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

How Well Is PS4 Selling Overseas?

DrRipley

To the surprise of no one, PS4s are not selling in Brazil because of the high price tag. I've seen some comments saying that for the amount of money it would cost to buy a PS4 in Brazil, you could go to the US, buy one, come back and still have a good chunk of change left. I've heard that some are still able to buy it cheaper through eBay, though, and from what I know, they are getting it for more than double the original US price which is still way cheaper than their local retail prices. Has it been released in any other country besides these, and how is it doing?

In the UK, PS4 sales seem to be doing very well. Sony has reportedly sold over 250k units in just 48 hours, a record high in terms of consoles, supposedly.

In Brazil, a total of 0 PS4s have so far been sold

With the PlayStation 4 finally launched worldwide at this point, there’s one nation where the price to nab one could cost you an arm and a leg. I’m talking about Brazil. The PS4 was officially released there this Friday, and at a whopping $1,850, the most expensive anywhere in the world, it’s not too surprising that not many units had been sold. Sony has commented that the extremely high rate of taxes and import fees affects the price of the item in the country.

PS4 has sold over 250k PS4s in the UK

Over 250k PS4 consoles were sold in the UK in the machine’s first 48 hours on sale.

Retail sources have confirmed the extent of PS4’s tremendous performance to MCV following Chart-Track’s confirmation this morning that PS4 is the UK’s fastest selling console ever.

Bonus Round: PS4 launch day in Germany

baracksyndel

The differences in prices for both the PS4 and the games for the system depending on the region always amazes me. I don't understand why Sony or any company thinks that they can really move merchandise with these prices. UK digital downloads shocked me but when I saw the prices in South Africa I couldn't believe it. It really is ridiculous.

SpaceTiger

In the case of Brazil I believe both Sony and Microsoft considered building their units locally to knock the price drastically...and unless they're flying their own plane or one of those smaller ones, it would cost them more to go from Brazil to the U.S even if they were planning to stay just a few hours and head back.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
The differences in prices for both the PS4 and the games for the system depending on the region always amazes me. I don't understand why Sony or any company thinks that they can really move merchandise with these prices. UK digital downloads shocked me but when I saw the prices in South Africa I couldn't believe it. It really is ridiculous.

I don't think its the manufacturers. From what I read, Brazil's is so high because of the taxes put in place. I think its the same principle as buying a pack of cigarettes here in the states. It may cost only 3 dollars in the Carolinas but when you go to a state like New York or New Jersey, they cost 9 10 dollars a pack because of the taxes and terrifs put on them.

mareebaybay

I mean those are not good numbers at all. You also have to consider how much it may cost in those countries overseas. I wonder myself.

Legendoflore

Some of prices blow my mind. The guy in Brazil who bought one for over a grand just made me speechless for a second because there is no way I would ever pay that much for a gaming console. I have student loans so I couldn't justify blowing that kind of cash. How did it get so expensive there and how could Sony allow this kind of thing. They need to sell as many PS4's as they can and the price will kill them if they don't fix it.

DrRipley

Some of prices blow my mind. The guy in Brazil who bought one for over a grand just made me speechless for a second because there is no way I would ever pay that much for a gaming console. I have student loans so I couldn't justify blowing that kind of cash. How did it get so expensive there and how could Sony allow this kind of thing. They need to sell as many PS4's as they can and the price will kill them if they don't fix it.

I read about that too. I think the fact that a purchase made it into the news is very telling of the situation. I really hope they fix it soon, I hate to think that our Brazilian brothers and sisters are being deprived of this enjoyment, but then again, I suppose there are worse things in life and I am sure they are doing alright over there in terms of entertainment regardless.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements