• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

How much better is PS4 on 1080P<---- I have 1080i

HelloHello

I was getting ready to buy a 4k TV for my PS4 and a buddy told me that 4k tv doesn't work with PS4. So I did some research and found that 1080P is the highest. Currently I have 32inch Philips 1080i and wanting to upgrade to a 39 inch tv. My question is how much better is a 1080p on a 39in than 1080i when using PS4?

Max_Headroom

On your High Definition (HD) TV, you may have the choice of 1080p mode and 1080i mode.

Both modes offer the same pixel resolution: 1,920 x 1,080. The difference is in the scan type they use.

The p in 1080p stands for progressive scan, and the i in 1080i stands for interlaced.

Frame and field rates

HD content is always broadcast at 30 frames per second.

1080p content is played back at native frame rate, while 1080i is played back at 60 fields per second (a field is the technical term for an interlaced frame).

The duplicated frames are displayed separately, faster than the human eye can detect them.

The key differences are:

1080p (progressive scan) mode may appear to be sharper, and fast-moving action can be easier to watch. This mode is used for Blu-ray discs and some games consoles, and is known as Full HD.

1080i (interlaced) mode may appear to flicker or blur more during action scenes or sports. Some terrestrial TV in the UK and USA is broadcast in 1080i; the rest is broadcast in 720p.

In practice, many people do not notice the difference between 1080p and 1080i. If you have a large HD TV, you may prefer 1080p, but the difference is often negligible.

Last edited:

Lethal

Banned
720p is always better than 1080i. Do not let the larger number fool you. So if you have a 1080i TV, you would want to set your console to display in 720p.

1080p is much better than both 720p and 1080i. I personally would not waste any money on a 4K TV for at least 4-5 more years. Waste of money since the TV will only display in 1080p with the PS4 and cable TV.

Last edited:

HelloHello

720p is always better than 1080i. Do not let the larger number fool you. So if you have a 1080i TV, you would want to set your console to display in 720p.

1080p is much better than both 720p and 1080i. I personally would not waste any money on a 4K TV for at least 4-5 more years. Waste of money since the TV will only display in 1080p with the PS4 and cable TV.

Decided to go with a 39in 1080p.......... Thanks for the advice.

intrepidis

Not

720p is always better than 1080i.

I have a 100Hz 1080p 37" TV. It's about 7 years old. For the past 3 years it actually has a glitch where 1080p causes the sound to break up every 3 seconds (weird I know). So I've been using 1080i for gaming. Resolution quality looks the same, and frame rate is almost as good. I've just tried a few PS4 games at 720p resolution and it looks far worse... Like I'm playing on the old PS3. I sit at a distance of about 12 feet.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member

I know this thread is old but was off by a couple years ;) Though none of us really foresaw a 4K PS4. Now could be the time to get a 4K TV. If only OP held out 2 years ;)

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
Though none of us really foresaw a 4K PS4. Now could be the time to get a 4K TV.
The PS4 Pro apparently only upscales game to 4K,Im not even sure there are/will be any that actually play in native 4K.Perhaps in the future.