• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

How many PS3's have you broken?

amar.voltage

My PS3 broke down 3 times, and you already know what was the cause... Yellow Light Of Death... Since I usually fix stuff around the house, i repaired it by looking at some youtube videos. Later, i even modded my PS3 to custom firmware so i could install homebrew applications to increase the fan speed... I really love my consoles, and all of them are serving me well (PS1, PS2, PSP), but my PS3 is not loving me back :(... hope that some day i will find the permanent cooling solution for my console, and enjoy gaming without thinking about how hot the processors are...

Yorf

I've had zero trouble with either PS3 or PS2. Both purchased in the year of release (or the year after, I can't recall).

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
My PS3 broke down 3 times, and you already know what was the cause... Yellow Light Of Death... Since I usually fix stuff around the house, i repaired it by looking at some youtube videos. Later, i even modded my PS3 to custom firmware so i could install homebrew applications to increase the fan speed... I really love my consoles, and all of them are serving me well (PS1, PS2, PSP), but my PS3 is not loving me back :(... hope that some day i will find the permanent cooling solution for my console, and enjoy gaming without thinking about how hot the processors are...
I thought I've seen cooling addons before. I forget what it looks like but its a similar concept to a laptop cooling pad. Basically gives you more fans :)

I've had zero trouble with either PS3 or PS2. Both purchased in the year of release (or the year after, I can't recall).
Lucky. I got a launch model PS2 and it gave me nothing but problems. Opened it up a few times and fixed it but eventually it just completely died. Bought one of the last models of silver slims and it's served me well for a few years. Still have my original PS2. It is a lovely decoration by my game library :) Bout all its good for now :(

firelily99

I have never broken mine and doubt I will never do so. I agree about the vac, take care of your stuff and it lasts.

Keenir

None, incredibly. I thought it was only Nintendo consoles that lasted this long (my PS1 and PS2 both gave me problems; N64 and GC are still fine), but I've had my 120GB Slim for over four years and she's still keeping on. Might need a new harddrive soon, though, since I'm starting to get some sound skipping in downloadable and install-heavy games (it got really bad in MGS4 last night, I had to stop playing.)

My cousin has a release day PS3 that still works fine, but another friend barely had his make it through the first year. I feel kinda lucky with mine.

Ultip

When I originally got my first PlayStation 3 it broke after a while, kept black screening etc... so we had to get a new one, so far, this one has not broken, and I am quite happy with it.

alexiskilgannon

Surprisingly, I haven't broken my Ps3 since the day I got it. I never had any issues with a black screen, not starting up, etc. The only issues I have had are via-video games and had nothing to do with the system itself.

Oogles

I'm pretty proud of myself for this. I've never broken one not once. I've never really broken a console. Damn I must be the God of careful handling. I played with my PS3 day and night but it never gave out on me. It must really love me. It did give me a few problem with games not being read sometimes. I thought it was a region lock problem but some guys on the PS4 section told me PS3s never had a region lock. Maybe the Blu-ray lense is giving out or something. :D

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
I'm pretty proud of myself for this. I've never broken one not once. I've never really broken a console. Damn I must be the God of careful handling. I played with my PS3 day and night but it never gave out on me. It must really love me. It did give me a few problem with games not being read sometimes. I thought it was a region lock problem but some guys on the PS4 section told me PS3s never had a region lock. Maybe the Blu-ray lense is giving out or something. :D
Been there. Getting the DRE was reminiscent of the launch model PS2. It got so bad on my PS3 that it only read DVDs (my model Slim has a separate laser for the Blu-Ray and DVDs). I bought a new laser on Amazon for my model (have to be careful you get the right one) opened her up and put it in. If you do opt to replace the laser if the problem grows (it started small for me like you then one day wouldn't read anything), you have to be careful. There are a lot more little parts in the PS3 than there were in the PS2 so its easy to get things out of order. If you aren't tech savy, it would probably be easier to buy the whole disc tray assembly and just replace that. I just followed YouTube videos and didn't have a problem.

Morpheus343

I never thought it could happen, but my PS3 just yellow-lighted a few months ago. It was the PS3 Fat and I was pretty bummed out since I used to play PS2 games on it a lot. But atleast I have my slim.

tysovsky

0, my fat 60gb ps3 is still running strong. It's been through a lot: running in the hot summer days for 8-10 hours straight. What's strange is that it's not even that loud.

firelily99

I haven't broken mine and its been almost three years since I bought it. I keep it clean and cared for - its cheaper to do than replacing them.

latoya0511

I have not broken any. Its great that my ps3 lasted for as long as it did. I love it too, i can play it for hours. My ps3 doesnt really heat up like that.

Navii

I somehow broke my cd reader, but It wasn't that hard to fix. Luckily there are cd drive cleaning disks that work like a charm and since my friend had one laying around I didn't even have to pay for it, so I guess you can't really count it as broken because I actually could fix it for free by myself.

May102014

I am a very lucky woman. I never had my PS3 break on me and I had it for 4 years now. I didn't experience the problems you mentioned and I play on it a lot with my boyfriend. The problems you experience with your PS3 reminds me of my headache with laptops. No matter how careful I am with a laptop, in about a year there will be problems before it stops working for me altogether. And FYI, the last laptop that broke down on me did get smash to pieces as I hit it with a baseball bat and I'm not lying.

Livvy

Thankfully, I've been very lucky and I'm still working with the original that I got on day one. It's getting a bit long in the teeth now I must admit, but still no big problems, and certainly no yellow light of death yet. Probably needs a clean out though since it's slowing down a tiny bit due to dust etc

SeanM

not a one, I generally take care of my stuff, especially if I'm the one that payed for it, which in the case of the PS 3, I really did

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!