• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

How long has the PS3 got?

sidd230

I will give it atleast 3 more years till it becomes a completely unsupported console. We will see the sports titles till 2017 at least.

firelily99

With less than a year before the demise of PSIII the only options are to buy IV or buy every game that you can get your hands on.

Haze

With less than a year before the demise of PSIII the only options are to buy IV or buy every game that you can get your hands on.

A year? I doubt it. 3-5 is more likely. I mean they are still making games exclusively for the PS3 and not for the PS4 (Borderlands: the Pre-Sequel, GRID: Autosport, Dark Souls II, etc.)

The Unlosing Ranger

Mighty Strike-Out Slugger
A year? I doubt it. 3-5 is more likely. I mean they are still making games exclusively for the PS3 and not for the PS4 (Borderlands: the Pre-Sequel, GRID: Autosport, Dark Souls II, etc.)

I would say 3 at most, 5 sounds like a stretch. I personally think it will be around 2-3 years. Then again, it might still get some niche games (like ones by Nippon Ichi Software and Atlus) and sports games after that long anyway.

Mine's gonna get constant use and abuse after Persona 4 Arena Ultimax and Persona 5 come out, at least. Will have to see what else is there to look forward to after those two have come out.

sammed92

Sony generally follows 12 year cycle rule for their consoles. Just like PS2 was discontinued in January 2013, ps3 might live up to 2018. But following the very fast technological advancement, I guess we won't be seeing many games for ps3 in coming 1-2 years. So, PS3 would pretty much render useless in that case.

ProfessorPanda

Due to the ps3 having free online and the ps4 not being that massive leap like the Ps2 to the ps3, I see people holding off on upgrading for quite a long time. I think it'll be a good 5 years before even the major 3rd party games stop going to the ps3.

Thejamal

Due to the ps3 having free online and the ps4 not being that massive leap like the Ps2 to the ps3, I see people holding off on upgrading for quite a long time. I think it'll be a good 5 years before even the major 3rd party games stop going to the ps3.

Agree with this. The PS3 was such a huge leap in tech, that it caught on like wildfire and people were upgrading almost instantly. While the PS4 certainly is an upgrade in tech, it's doesn't have that same "wow!" factor that the PS3 had when it first launched.

I imagine Ps3 will still hold out for another 2 years or so. Although, it's hard to predict anything involving tech these days with how advanced everything is becoming.

The Unlosing Ranger

This is true, but it ultimately depends on what publishers and developers do. If developers and publishers decide to just move on to next-gen only development, then people will upgrade just so they can get the new games.

It doesn't seem to be the case, though. If anything, it seems like developers and publishers prefer the 360/PS3 at the moment. Smaller install base on the new consoles and no incentives from Sony and Microsoft to release on new consoles. The exception being Sony forcing all new indie games onto PS4 and/or Vita, ignoring the PS3.

Razor

Agree with this. The PS3 was such a huge leap in tech, that it caught on like wildfire and people were upgrading almost instantly. While the PS4 certainly is an upgrade in tech, it's doesn't have that same "wow!" factor that the PS3 had when it first launched.

I imagine Ps3 will still hold out for another 2 years or so. Although, it's hard to predict anything involving tech these days with how advanced everything is becoming.

While PS2 to PS3 was a huge leap, I wouldn't say that people were upgrading almost instantly. That price tag was a huge turn off at launch considering that the console wasn't a polar opposite from 360 (outside of exclusives and free online multiplayer). The PS3 will be around for a good amount of time and I'll still be playing mine for awhile.

And why are we phrasing it as "the demise of PS3". The PS3 was a success in that generation and had a tremendous lineup. This isn't the Dreamcast, Saturn, Lynx, Jaguar, or Apple Pippin we're talking about here.

gamerteabwoi

With the rate a which the PS4 system is selling I give the PS3 until about 2015-16. Don't get me wrong the system is off the chain but the PS4 has really taken the world by storm and to me I think that it is the better system out of the Xbox one. PS3 is a great system and I think that it has about 2 more yea4rs of life left in it.

SpaceTiger

I'd give you 2016, but 2015? Ehhh...really depends on if there's a flood of games in late 2014-early 2015. If we're just at steady stream by early 2015 then 2016 it is.

Tomba

Yeah 2015 is too early. I'd say 2016 is too early give how long Sony keeps their stuff in circulation.

firelily99

Its not over yet for it - I would give it two to four years. They will continue to make some games for it before they discontinue.

Abqu

Will it ever die, really? The other features of a PS3 are pretty awesome. Asking when a catch-all device like the PS3 will die is like asking when Blu-Rays or Netflix will die. I'll use my PS3 for other things long after the gaming support ends.

The Unlosing Ranger

2016 I would say. Sony console usually have a nice afterlife.

It's not just Sony this time, the 360 is gonna live a long time too, because Microsoft didn't discontinue any support for it like they did with the Xbox when the 360 came out. I think the cost of developing for new consoles is not worth it yet, since the 360 and PS3 still have huge user bases by comparison...

FosterTXT

I think the PlayStation 3 still has a whole lot of life left. The PlayStation 2 barely died out just a couple of years ago if I am not mistaken, so I would imagine Sony could milk the PlayStation 3 even longer than the did the PlayStation 2.

wowtgp

I would say that Sony is going to support it for at least 2 more years. As long as the huge install base is there, no one s going to ignore it altogether. PS3 still has a long way to go.

gamerteabwoi

2016 I would say. Sony console usually have a nice afterlife.

This is exactly what I was saying I honestly think that the PS3 has a lot more life in it. I mean although the PS4 and Xbox one came out I will tell you that I still enjoy playing games on my PS3. I think that the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are two of the best consoles that have ever been released in the world of gaming.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements