• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Help: PS4 won't read disc

rgolch

So last night, I set up my PS4, and everything went seemingly fine. However, when I inserted Killzone ShadowFall, it accepted the disc fine. However, the disc drive doesn't seem to spin, and the PS4 doesn't seem to read the disc. Nothing happens, and the game doesn't load. It still ejects the disc, but I can't get it to read the disc. Any suggestions?

Dame6089

I would call Sony asap. I wouldn't risk messing up your disk or even worse your console. I'm sure any problems this early on will be covered by warranty.

rgolch

The PS4 automatically updated the system after I set it up. Do I have to manually find the firmware to update it?

Frantic

, , Founder, ,
You should have it then if thats the case. Try completely powering down your system, eject the disc, and reload it. But i would call sony as well. If you have a bad laser you'll want to get that replaced. 800-345-Sony or live chat with them. Please let us know what they say for future reference. You can also call your store that you bought it from to replace it. I know alot of stores are keeping 3-4 systems on hand for any faulty ones they may have sold. I know 3 members who replaced theirs on the same day. But call sony first and see what they say.

rgolch

You may be one of the misfortunate 0.4%
Not a helpful response, given that it's quite obvious. If anyone has any ideas on how I can fix it, or what I should do next, I'd be appreciative. I'm at work now, and not looking forward to a long wait with Sony customer service. Given that I bought it from Amazon, I don't know if I should send the console to Sony, or Amazon (if I cant get this solved).

Shana

Have you only tried the one game? I would recommend trying another disc before you call call sony because it could just be the game. It's also a much easier fix if it's just the disc so cross your fingers that's the case. Have you tried downloading anything free and playing that? If that doesn't work as well then it for sure is the PS4. Good luck though and let me know how it goes!

Frantic

, , Founder, ,
Trying out a different disc is a great idea! It will tell you if there's a problem with disc or the drive reader.

rgolch

So anywho...... to start, my firmware and any other updates were all up to date.

I went home and shut it down, unplugged the cable, and waited. Rebooted the PS4, and tried Killzone again. No luck. Tried a DVD. No luck. Finally called Sony customer service, got through pretty quickly (probably 15-20 mins). Described my problem, and they suggested rebuilding the database. Went through the steps of doing that while they guided me on the phone. After the database was rebuilt, tried the game disc again. No luck. Oh well.......

So they are overnighting a shipping box to me, and once I receive that box, I will send my PS4 back to Sony, and they will overnight a new system to me. From the way it sounds, it shouldn't take to long to get a new system.

Frantic

, , Founder, ,
Still sucks man, i'm sorry to hear that. Are they going to do anything for the inconvenience of having to wait?

dragoonblade

This is an acknowledged problem so you're in luck that it's not just you. Like a lot of people have suggested if you haven't installed the new firmware update, then I suggest that you do that no because it might help. If not you'll have to contact Sony and see what they can do. If neither of those option work out then they'll either have you send it to them for repairs or send you a news PS4.

MorgUK

Unlucky dude, but wow, that's exceptional service from Sony! Their not even telling you go to the place you bought the PS4 from, just dealing with is ASAP. Let us know when you get it back!

626joe

So last night, I set up my PS4, and everything went seemingly fine. However, when I inserted Killzone ShadowFall, it accepted the disc fine. However, the disc drive doesn't seem to spin, and the PS4 doesn't seem to read the disc. Nothing happens, and the game doesn't load. It still ejects the disc, but I can't get it to read the disc. Any suggestions?

i had the exact same problem with the exact same game..

i went to settings
then to system storage management
then to applications
selected killzone shadow fall
then options
then deleted it

after i deleted it, i then reinserted the disk
and it read it just fine, and proceeded to install the disc software

you lose your saved game data but it works

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Destiny Stuck in Disc Tray- PS4 won't read or eject, HELP! PlayStation 4 2
J Help stuck disc in PS4 won't eject PlayStation 4 26
D PS4 Controller flashing White but not connecting. HELP!!!! PlayStation 4 0
A PS4 help please? PlayStation 4 1
A Christmas minecraft and PS4 help PlayStation 4 1
O Need help with recognizing a part in the PS4 motherboard! PlayStation 4 0
J Ps4 Help please! PlayStation 4 2
K Ps4 Hdmi problem HELP!!! PlayStation 4 5
Z Need some help fixing a ps4 PlayStation 4 4
B PS4 Disk Drive Not working, tried reinstalling system software - PLEASE HELP! PlayStation 4 2
A Help a girl out? PS4 controller problems :/ PlayStation 4 4
L Help! Ps4 possible hdmi problem PlayStation 4 1
H Help required - PS4 tournament PlayStation 4 0
Y I bought a ps4 yesterday on boxing day - help im confused - thanks in advance PlayStation 4 1
S Ps4 2k online help PlayStation 4 0
S Help on ps4 model number PlayStation 4 4
D New ps4 soon remote play help. PlayStation 4 0
S Help, Should I turn my PS4 on again? (Disc Issue) PlayStation 4 5
A Help. New PS4 PlayStation 4 4
E Help connecting ps4 to TV Out of Hdmi cables. PlayStation 4 6
J Need help with PS4 Putty Squad PlayStation 4 0
B Need Help/Advice PS4 System storage management applications not deleting game PlayStation 4 0
B Help with my ps4 controller PlayStation 4 5
T New to ps4 need help PlayStation 4 1
T ps4 video color problems HELP!! PlayStation 4 0
jCage Which monitor is better for gaming on PS4 console? (i need help) PlayStation 4 3
J Just got a PS4 but need help Introduce Yourself 5
P Need help in calibrating TV for PS4 PlayStation 4 5
A PS4 : Music while playing help PlayStation 4 3
B im new to ps4 help me lmao Introduce Yourself 6
K PS4 Painfully Slow Internet Connection (HELP) PlayStation 4 3
D About to buy my PS4 in China. Please help re:psn PlayStation 4 3
C HELP - PS4 Disc cannot be read error PlayStation 4 3
R I need help choosing a gift PS4 game. PlayStation 4 23
K Struggling with cloud storage on ps4 - any help? PlayStation 4 0
T Need help to fix my ps4 control PlayStation 4 1
S PS4 region issues (Please help) PlayStation 4 1
M Bug PS4 Control Not Responding ( STUCK ) -- Plz Help PlayStation 4 1