• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Headset Advice

Hi, new to the forum and after some headset advice.

Currently I only really play CoD Black Ops 4 and have been using some cheap earphones. I'm really struggling to tell the direction sounds come from, so am thinking of getting a proper gaming headset, and ideally wireless.

I have no idea where to start though, I read some much contradictory stuff. I've read about 7.1 virtual surround sound and also 3D sound, but then some people say they're not necessary and some people say they won't work with wireless.

So.. does anyone have a recommendation?

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
I use the standard earphones that come with the PS4, but I've been hearing good things about the Astro's headsets by numerous youtubers. Here are a few reviews so far by youtubers...

Drift0r Review of A40 (2019)...

Drift0r Review of A50 (2015)

PrestigeIsKey Review of A10 (2017)

PrestigeIsKey did an unboxing of A40 TR + Mixamp Pro TR (2019)

Normally, I'd recommend the official headsets like Sony Platinum & Gold Headsets, but Astro has been getting a stellar reputation among Call of Duty players, Youtubers, etc.

One catch; they're all expensive.

DCLong57

Hi, new to the forum and after some headset advice.

Currently I only really play CoD Black Ops 4 and have been using some cheap earphones. I'm really struggling to tell the direction sounds come from, so am thinking of getting a proper gaming headset, and ideally wireless.

I have no idea where to start though, I read some much contradictory stuff. I've read about 7.1 virtual surround sound and also 3D sound, but then some people say they're not necessary and some people say they won't work with wireless.

So.. does anyone have a recommendation?
Okay... first, 7.1 is typically only from PC via USB but some headsets and amps like the Astro Mixamp Pro TR simulate that sound. Realistically, your sound and mic quality are only as good as the money you put into them. If you're not using the mic at all, technically you could just use stereo headphones but because they're just stereo, you don't really get surround feel from the audio.

Almost all headsets are stereo really but because these things are made for gaming, the drivers inside are built a little differently to give you a more spatial soundstage. I've tried the Playstation Golds and they're pretty good for the money really but the mic' really sucks - according to my buddies at the other end. I've tried Logitech G933's much more expensive and these are better but again, the mic sucks. I ended up using a pair of Sennheiser Game Zero's (closed back) but because these have an impedance for PC use, they're way too quiet on the PS4 or PS5 so I used the Astro amp mentioned above. This is hardwired but I don't have to keep re-charging a headset all the time.

I recently changed the Sennheiser headset to the Epos H3Pro Hybrid (expensive like the Senny's) but still use the Astro amp. It's insanely great and mic is second only to the Sennys.

Find your pricepoint and do a search to see the best PS5/PS4 headset for your price. You'' have a few different views of course but typically, 3 or 4 different sites will have the same good ones in their top 10, one may have a headset marked as the best whereas another may have it at number 5. Don't get a headset made for PC only! Impedance is totally different.

DCLong57

I use the standard earphones that come with the PS4, but I've been hearing good things about the Astro's headsets by numerous youtubers. Here are a few reviews so far by youtubers...

Drift0r Review of A40 (2019)...

Drift0r Review of A50 (2015)

PrestigeIsKey Review of A10 (2017)

PrestigeIsKey did an unboxing of A40 TR + Mixamp Pro TR (2019)

Normally, I'd recommend the official headsets like Sony Platinum & Gold Headsets, but Astro has been getting a stellar reputation among Call of Duty players, Youtubers, etc.

One catch; they're all expensive.
They're pretty good - mic is nothing great though.